Hot Toys - MMS 117 Terminator 2 Model T-800 spec + hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still great but has HT ever left the initial sculpt the same all the way up til production?

Both heads of the DX Joker were the same sculpts as day 1, the John Connor heads weren't changed from the prototype. I'm only listing off ones since they've started to take fan suggestions towards resculpting which is about the past year or so. I think Wolverine is the same sculpt as it always was in the prototypes, Dutch stayed the same once it was approved and we were never really meant to see the other sculpts on that one.

They only seem to make changes when the fans really express dissatisfaction with the quality of likeness, like Marcus Wright and Blade got overhauls.

So if they've sculpted the character and actor before they don't seem to change it? A very good chance that the same will happen with this figure. Still the best likeness out there.

So if they've sculpted the character and actor before they don't seem to change it? A very good chance that the same will happen with this figure. Still the best likeness out there.

If there was enough verbal discontent with the sculpt where Hot Toys felt they needed to make changes to satisfy customers, or their creative team felt it could be even better and agreed, perhaps. In this instance, Yulli spoke very proudly of this figure and the work on it in those magazine articles and I'm guessing feels like she really got this portrait, especially where she has all sorts of reference available vs a scenario like the first Joker where she worked on it with rough reference material and worked hard on the BR and DX heads to get it right.

Ultimately, I can't think of any collectible that isn't flawed in some way if measured against the source, something is always off.

It looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger and not Van Damme or Stallone or anyone else, so it's enough for me, whatever's off with it for me requires heavy scrutiny, when I look at the sculpt it doesn't strike me as off, I'm sure it is. I'm bothered by off things when I find the off things make the overall head just seem iffy. Wolverine isn't a 100% dead on Hugh Jackman likeness, but the head looks like Hugh as Wolverine all pissed off, the off parts hurt the accurracy but not the quality. Same with this T2 sculpt, it may not be 100%, but it looks like Arnie with that pissed off, stone cold eyes Terminator expression he had, so it's a quality sculpt.

And to me. The question was would they lengthen the head. It really doesn't need it but you know Hot Toys, full of suprises.

It doesn't need need it but it could do with it. His face is too squat. Not a disaster I feel but again I think if the nose were slightly longer and all the features below that merely shifted down rather than changed....don't know that thats possible though and it would entail a full resculpt so..probably not worth the attempt.

And to me. The question was would they lengthen the head. It really doesn't need it but you know Hot Toys, full of suprises.

I say why bother. It's such a minor thing. It's not like the Blade sculpt where areas like the eye shape and skin color were significantly off hindering the likeness.

If they do, fine. If not, it already looks like Arnold so no loss.

When looking at the pictures from the movie before, I just thought the real Arnie just looked a lil skinnier. Now this new theory I guess works as well but I totally see Arnie in it. Again we are talking about fractions of a mm that we can notice because of the magnification and side by side comparisson.
Curious question to those who actually make their own sculpts in this scale. I assume you ply ta soft material and not like carving wood right (yes I said wood)? Can you plaster some more material over it or do you have to start all over again? Also when curing the material would it change in dimension?

Y'know, after seeing Blade in hand shots, i'm kinda thinking the majority of HT figures would look better with sculpted necks, inc Arnie. My only HT figure is begins batman, I don't own a figure with a jointed neck, so a question, do neck joints take away from the look of the figure in hand as much as they do on photos?

Also, I have officially caught the hot toys bug, DX Batman will be mine.

sorry. i tried searching "Sideshow" but got about 12 pages of hits lol.

so is Sideshow gonna offer some Exclusive of this like they usually do? thanks

In the past, jointed necks have hurt some figures. A large reason for that in the past was that the skin would have the texturing and the neck would be smooth and shiny plastic, and at times the color wouldn't match the head skin tone. Another flaw in the past with heads being separate from the neck was the way hair and jawlines were handled, sometimes it just wouldn't look very realistic or you'd have some of the neck sculpted because of how the hair was.

Lately though, HT's getting better with this. The Wolverine figure is like T-800, head on a rubber encased neck, and you really can't tell between the paint work and they've also gotten better at shaping the jawline naturally around the neck. Now, the down side of that is, because the head hugs the neck so firmly, you have to use certain caution with posing it to avoid chipping the paint on the neck, which is fairly easy with it being rubber. I'm hoping this new body style won't become a permanent norm, I'd rather them stick with traditional base bodies where it works and just making the neck pieces for 2 joint heads out of the same PVC type material the Wolverine arms are so you can have the skin texture and paint without it being a material that's prone to having paint easily stripped from it.

Not that I feel HT needs to tweak the T800 sculpt, but it's always nice to wonder if they are improving it for future T800 figures. They're probably sculpting the BD version right now! Probably.

I just received the Comedian M79, im pretty pleased with it, the wood imitation could have been better since its made by HT. But over all great product!

I was really worried it wouldnt fit the Black gloved Albert Wesker hands that i bought since those hands are made for a pistol grip and not a rifle grip, but they worked perfect!

m79.jpg

edit: The barrel lock mechanism broke right off the second i touched it, but the barrel stays down anyways.

Last edited:
Btw, will the T-800 have the pegs for the above gloves? Or are they different since he's hands are naked?

Assuming the T-800 uses the same wrist pegs as Wolverine, the peg is the same size, but the ball part is larger than regular HT wrist pegs.

Standard TT Wrist Peg on the left, Wolverine Wrist Peg on the right.

HTWRISTS.jpg

Last edited:
You may end up needing the older style pegs to use the gloves, hard to say, I don't have Wesker to try and put the gloves on Wolverine and see. Then again, the old pegs may not go right into the new style arms, the arm side looks different. Hopefully just a few more months and then we'll have all our answers.

Back