Hot Toys - MMS 107 - MARS ATTACKS! - 1/6th scale Martian Soldier spec and hi-res pic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this guy. Just got him today and he is great!

He looks better in person, this is a crappy cell phone picture.

b0c97677.jpg

Luis

I'm still excited about getting a Soldier... but at this point just holding out for a below retail (or 2nd hand) deal on one.

After I took it out it impressed me as a rather expensive novelty figure. The main body including tanks and breathing apparatus is a hard plastic with the tubes being hard, yet flexible. The arms and legs are a hard plastic at the ball joints, with a soft rubber sleeve to ankles and wrists. The elbows and knees have a ratcheted motion and use the usual ball jointed ankle, to hard plastic feet and soft plastic hands. Three sets all up. The fingers are flexible and aren't wired. You get a spare set of wrist ball joints. The gun is nicely painted.

Then we come to the head, and I had alot of fun just sitting there flicking its eyes from side to side. It's just ludicrous and made me laugh quite a few times. The jaw opens and the tongue can be pulled down, to where you can see it, and also moved from side to side. The head and neck are fixed, so it can only move at the base of the neck, which happens to be between the shoulders, meaning you only get slight forward tilting from it. There is no horizontal rotation. The visor is two piece, super clear and shiney plastic, and can be raised, according to the pics on the side of the box. At the moment I'm having a difficult time just getting the two lugs, of the helmet, positioned into their corresponding apertures. Only the front lug is fitting in on mine. The helmet has to be raised in order to allow the front section to move forward and up on its hinge. For what purpose is unknown to me, because the visor isn't able to stay open on its own.

It's a great little Martian. Hot toys, I feel, could have easily made the head have some rotation. There's not much room for movement inside the helmet. Even so, without the helmet it would be nice to have been able to give these some more character poses. At least they avoided problems with a loose upper neck joint, considering the enormity of it's bonce.

I only just got it and already I'm having fun.

2h35uth.jpg

They're small enough to invade anyone's space, and fit in.

Cheers for the low down Creech. It is surprising that the head can't turn, especially as it doesn't seem to have any conection to the articulated jaws or eyes.
But it still looks like a funny figure for the shelf, can't wait to see them in person.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out wookster.

I went back and had another prod at it and it's on a ball joint in between the shoulders, so there's 360 degree rotation. :duh What a duffus. While I was doing that the tongue fell out. It's just a ball that fits into a hole at the top of the neck stem. I'm having more fun than I thought. I tell you what, that ball joint is stiff. Can't help laughing at them eyes. They ought to have a mechanical device in there to do it. It just makes them so much more real when you flick that switch.

Well that wiped out some of what I said earlier, and makes this little guy a little winner in my book.

Funny pic, Creech, and thanks for your impressions. It's the most detailed review here yet, and perhaps the first.

Glad to hear he's a winner... I will definitely be adding one to my collection :rock

Well he's a winner to me.

The paint is overly brilliant, as compared to the movie, where the colours are more pastel and rainbow like, across their brows. At least if that bothers you you can have it repainted, which you shouldn't have to for the price, but I'm happy enough as it is.

The rubber sleeves and legs have a ridged pattern, where I see dust and dirt collecting, and it being harder to remove. I think they might be hard to maintain, so the discolouration of the rubber components may not match that of the body, over time. Wash your hands and wear your white gloves.

The eye mechanism has a little slackness between individual eyeball movements. You can see it when you operate the switch, but on rest it doesn't seem to interfere with the look. The switch itself needs some loosening up, and on mine, doesn't want to move all the way to one side, although a little force helps. It sticks when it's all the way to the left or right.

I can see the stop motion guys having a ball with these.

I couldn't imagine these not having head movement lol. Glad they do. I asked sideshow for flexpay options on my order and got them, but with a trip to Paris in 2 months (and no money after wife changed jobs over xmas) we need every penny.

Trying to figure a way though... i *want* these. Love this film. (is it out on blu-ray yet?)

marsattacks4.jpg

I want to recreate that. will deffo repaint the heads, will enjoy that. Might even resculpt one of the soldier eyebrows to give that worried/scared look they have.

Back