Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see the alien standing up straight!
What is the neck mod for the pred? If it's not too hard I might try it... I do think the pred is too short.

I think I've heard of people using the extended Wayne neck from the TDK figure to give the Predator a taller neck, don't know if that's the particular one or if there's another.

I'm not too big on a chestburster although a facehugger would have been awesome, just for comedy photos.

I really like my Alien. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't change anything if I could go back and not buy it but... in some ways Hot Toys did kinda phone this one in. I mean, they could have included a chestburster and a facehugger. They didn't have to obviously but it would have been cool and is an excelent answer to "what kind of accessories would you even give an Alien"

I'd love it if they made a "life-cycle set" with an egg, facehugger, and chestburster! A hive resin segment would be nice too, even though I know it will never happen.:monkey2

They didn't have to offer it with the figure, but it would be nice to be able to pick up a set in the same manner as their weapon packs.
Oh well...

My HT alien collection is almost complete.
All I need now is the Newborn and Queen. :monkey5

I keep looking at the Alien3 and wanting one. I think if the Predator 2 didn't suck I'd get that and the Alien3 to go together. The Predator 2 and Alien3 designs are my favorite from their respective franchises but if I'm to just have one from each they have to be from my favorite films.

This is how I currently have mine displayed on the shelf. The Predator has his neck lengthened as well which I just did. If you're interested in that mod, head on over here.

4274808861_668cd2b761_b.jpg

imo the two best creature designs of the 20th century. They've been done to death at this point but for very good reason.

...sorry if someone has suggested this (I am trying to catch up on the messages) but I've used guitar strings for detailing some of my alien projects.

Good luck.

May also add the tube around the dome if I can find something suitable. The one on the Medicom is way too big imo. I need to find something very thin and flexible and preferably already corrugated.

Last edited:
I think to help the mouth (sorry Dedguy) someone needs to add all the goo and slime dripping. That would look awesome. And help, maybe.

I want to get that acrylic stuff that's like a gel which hardens.

Originally Posted by ALV427
Accuracy or inaccuracy. I don't believe that the photos and spiels adamantly claiming that the details of the Hot Toys figure are inaccurate in some major way are correct. I think that many of the photos in this thread are of replica suits, pre-production trial suits, test photos and a mix of originals and modified and unfinished movie originals, who knows with the low resolution and no mention of where they are sourced from or what context they were taken and for what purpose etc. There simply isn't enough verifiable official photos and reference material available to the public to back up any claims that the Hot Toys figure is accurate or inaccurate beyond any doubt. That said, I think HTs should have painted the tongue white and the rear incisors need a slightly sharper profile and a more chromed appearance, but they are relatively easy and minor fixes - we are talking minor paint details and fractions of millimetres here and stuff that's not really apparent from any distance but only really when magnified.

Ridley constantly and very deliberately had the details of the suits modified during filming so that the appearance of the ALIEN was constantly changing so the audience couldn't get a fix on the shape and finer details - he wanted the viewers minds to fill in the gaps with what they imagined they saw, pattern recognition, everyone sees something different, you know... So I'm saying that there is no one version of the suit for any model to be based on that can replicate exactly what is seen on screen, simply because what is seen in the movie is a composite of all the alterations, variations and repairs made to the suits and biting FX head stand throughout the filming process. Moulds were made and remade, no two domes were the same, like the hands and tendons, details around the mouth, teeth, paint etc, etc, etc. The lighting, lenses and angles chosen for the shots played a huge roll in the Alien's overall appearance, that never gets given much consideration. I think it all comes down to what you think some of the proportions and finer details should look like - just as Ridley and Giger intended from the start.

The finer details of any figure or statue are pretty much up to the artist to interpret as he/she sees fit, the feeling they want to convey, their vision, and we see that in almost every photo posted here. But you and Sabres (and others) seem to be inferring that there is a single version of the ALIEN that all artists should adhere to and base their sculpts on, I don't think that's a fact, it really fly's in the face of the facts. Sabres, when you say that "there are those of us who know what it looks like in the light and up close. We know the details. And for us, this didn't measure up." just sounds so wrong to me. I think you guys have formed an image of the perfect ALIEN that appeals to you, I think we all have. If Joseph sat you guys down and started sculpting you an ALIEN, it probably wouldn't be too long before you guys started fighting with each other about your visions of what it should be, you wouldn't be able to agree, you both wouldn't walk away 100% satisfied at the end. My point isn't that that the Hot Toys ALIEN figure is accurate or inaccurate, but to say with absolute conviction that it's not accurate because of a few tiny details is mystifying to me. I think the claims about the lack of accuracy aren't a fact, it's an opinion that's shaped and based on the image you have created in your mind. I think it's all absolute proof of the brilliance of Giger and Scott and one of the reasons that ALIEN has continually thrilled new audiences and cemented it's place as a classic and a benchmark for other film makers, artists, lighting, FX etc, etc, etc. You will never be able to hold up any single figure and say that it is exactly what was seen on screen. Maybe you could if they release an official book that goes through all the mods the suits went through, you might be able to get a reasonably accurate set of figure and a stand for the biting FX head to satisfy the hardest of hardcore fans, but I doubt that there would be enough of a market to justify producing something like that, or if it something that's even really feasible after all these years.

Thanks for the answer ALV!

You make interesting points, but I think you're still ignoring a couple of big salient facts:
1. There is a statue sculpted by Giger himself on top of a casting of Bolaji Badejo's body. That statue was in turn used to make castings for the suit. The same statue exists today and is open to the public in Giger's museum in Switzerland.
Thus, if you're sculpting the alien, you can refer to it or photographs of it to get your details and proportions right. Surely that would be the closest anybody could get to the source material, regardless of paint apps, camera angles, lenses and lighting.
2. The iconic face and head of the alien, the one we saw in enormous close-ups on screen was the Rambaldi hero head. There was one of those made and you can see it in the movie and in production videos and stills. It's pretty easy to tell which one it is, because it's always shown with the mechanisms at work. So, again, it's not that difficult to refer to that one prop to get the closest possible to the iconic look, regardless of stunt heads or changes in props.

Furthermore, there were no changes made to the appearance of the alien on purpose during filming. I don't know where you have that info from, but I have not read or heard about it anywhere.
Scott does say that he wanted the audience to be guessing as to the look of the creature, and filmed it in different poses and extreme close-ups, with flashing lights and semi-darkness to make it difficult to get a grip on its actual look (and to avoid the "man-in-a-suit" look). But he never made changes to the suit or look on purpose. There's only the matter of a smaller suit (although with the exact same appearance) made for a stunt-man and the tail being attached on the groin instead of the back to make it look longer in certain scenes (although you never actually see that). But both instances were dictated because of production needs and not for the sake of making the creature's look change.

As to the fact that each has an image of the perfect alien would be, yes, of course; but that is true of any collectible. Take SST's Jedi Luke for instance: some like the expression, some don't, but we can all agree that the likeness is there.
Take Medicom's and NECA's aliens: both look quite different from each other, but we (meaning us ____ retentive super-fans ) can all agree that the "likeness" is there. NECA's has larger (perhaps oversized) teeth and Medicom's has a more pronounced back-slope to the head and the teeth look more like they were half-hidden under the lips. That falls within the artist's take on the source material and what each artist finds more alien about the alien. It's their personal response to the alien-ness of the design and what impacts them most. Going back to Jedi Luke, what inspired the artist (or the creative director) most was the inner struggle and not the determination of Luke, thus the sculpt SST gave us.

But HT's figure goes beyond that. If you look at Giger's statue, you will notice that the lower legs have no "grill" patterns on the sides, only on the back. On the forearms it also only has those grill patterns on one side, not on both.
Look at the Tsang's sculpt. He just put that in because he thought it looked cooler I guess. That's not the same as making the figure a bit skinnier of slightly more muscular, or making the teeth slightly larger or giving the hands a dynamic pose. That is plain and simple making things up, things that simply are not on the original sculpt made by the artist (which s there for everyone to see). Which would be fine if HT hadn't marketed and advertised this as the "most accurate representation of Giger's alien ever".
Nobody gets pissed off at Takeya's aliens, because they are "Takeya" aliens. Unfortunately, HT has their aliens under the Movie Masterpieces banner, not the Tsang Masterpieces banner. So they should be accurate to the source material.

As to your last point, my only comment would be: if the figure were accurate, would it sell less? With the awesome detail, paint apps and base that HT has given their figure, with accuracy to boot, it would sell even more than it has.

And of course it is possible to make an accurate figure even taking into account the artist's personal touch. Just take a look at the Cinemaquette, Marmit, NECA and Medicom collectibles.

And thanks again for the great conversation! I just hope this is not boring people out of their minds...
But, as you can see, I love talking about alien!:D

Hello Abake,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think that I've deliberately ignored anything, I think have thoroughly reviewed every source I can get my hands on, but you seem to be ignoring many of the core points I made, and you are still revolving around the central argument that the HT's ALIEN isn't screen accurate and it's likeness doesn't represent what's seen in the movie; a generic version that Joseph created without giving it all that much respect in relation to the original. I think it is relatively accurate to the screen and Gigers' vision and sculpts, and I don't think that it's wrong to suggest. I don't think I'm the only one that can see things differently for you and the others. Why get hung up on the figure having to precisely imitate a particular facial expression that's seen when the ALIEN is visible? Do you really think that's it's possible without all the lighting and FX, or do you think they play no real part in the Alien's overall appearance in the film?

All of the statues and figures out there are sculpted in positions and exhibit facial expressions and artistic licence that doesn't represent what's seen in the movie, all of them. Where do you draw the line and accept that there isn't a single figure that can represent every scene that we see because there were many suits and heads used that were all built with slight differences. You don't seem to factor that in or acknowledge it in any way.

The nature of the suits and heads constructions, maintenance and repair dictated varying degrees of subtle differences; like the domes shape, ribbing and finer facial details and arrangements etc. The Rambaldi head had a different appearance than the other five or so heads, so using that particular head design would accurately represent the total ALIEN III design that we seen in the film, and it wouldn't have the overlook of the design that majority associate with it, it would look totally different that any statue we've seen out there so far.

As far as I'm aware, Giger made a polyester statue that was formed from a rough plaster cast of Balajio. Then he created his basic design over the polyester form and the basic plaster and cork chip negatives were created from that. The moulded components were cleaned and trimmed before being extensively customised and modified with other latex details, convoluted tubing etc.Finally being painted and airbrushed etc. Other elements and details of the suits and heads were also cast using plaster and plasticine components that Giger carved and sculpted for the hero and stunt suits; like the feet, glove and finger elements etc. The plasterers would make an accurate cast of the polyester masters and then carve and refine the basic and finer details as accurately as the moulding process they were using at the time would allow for. All the latex was hand painted in to the mould in a laborious process that slowly built up layers until the desired thickness in all the areas of the mould was achieved. That same process was used to produce various components of the suit that were also tailored to Bolaji and the stunt-men Eddie Powell and Roy Scammelland for the specific requirement of the days filming.

There were at the very least 6 heads production heads made, one mechanized, one half mechanised, two unmechanized and a few more made of foam rubber etc. for the stunt-men. The plaster moulds used were only capable or reproducing a fairly basic representation because of the complex curves and shapes involved, and most of the fine detail was added using plaster and plasticine, glued on rubber tubes, detailing etc. and thus, no two heads were constructed identically, they all had variations with the shape of the domes and muscle and tendon details around the mouth. Various artist were involved because of critical time restraints. But Giger.would ultimately supervise and help shape and paint all of them to insure that most of the heads stayed fairly faithful and accurately represented his vision; constrained with the limitations of the materials available in the day that were required for the various tasks, and Scott and Co's artistic crimp.

As the heads and suits were patched up and repainted, those minor individualities and peculiarities would obviously become more apparent. But I think that was fine with Scott in light (forgive the pun) of his various comment about wanting the audience to experience a constantly changing ALIEN so they didn't get a fix on the exact shape and details for the purposes of suspense; so we would use our imagination to complete and add additional layers to terrifying images; heightening the fear and suspense surrounding the creature. It wouldn't interfere with what he want to achieve, and ultimately contributed in immeasurable ways to the overall effect.The Alien was rapidly growing, ageing, changing.

The mechanical heads were created using other techniques and Giger would have made sure that those heads were as faithful as possible to his art; fitted it in with the overall look of the other heads as best as possible. Again, those slight differences in the dome and other facial features appearance and dimensions were perfectly and completely compatible with Scott's film vision. Giger originally intended to go in a more organic direction with the set and the ultimate Alien III design but Scott and Co ultimately had the final decision witht he designs and the rest is history.

The mechanized heads minus the lighting, camera lenses/shot angles, FX and tons of KY jelly etc. wouldn't have anywhere near the impact they do without them. His head was the ugliest of the lot, it had a different appearance to the rest because of the extra mechanical features etc. Scott and Co worked very hard and would have gone through many different angles, perspective and lighting arrangement to achieve the final version we see in the film, you can't separate them; they all very much essential to each other. That's why I have to laugh a little when I read people saying that it looks nothing like the shots we see in the film, what else can you do.

I have seen Giger's concept drawings and photos showing the leg "grills' in positions that closely mirror the design of the HTs figure, but again, there really isn't enough material out there to say if the position and features are totally correct or incorrect. The Giger statue argument isn't all that convincing to me because it was only a guide for the moulds and isn't representative of all the positions details on all the suits I've seen. It's not even really known if it was the exact sculpt the ALIEN III is based on, but I think it probably was. I think Joseph wouldn't have been able to avoid it as a reference, I can definitely see elements in his sculpt.

I don't have any real problems with the small paragraph of Hot Toys claims, that probably has more to do with the marketing department than anything Joseph would have claimed. I think he's smart enough to know that it's not something you can claim with any single ALIEN figure, you would need a set of them, and because you would need to recreate the lighting and FX that were used in the original film to achieve that perfect film look, and that's obviously totally impractical in the real world, even for the hardest or hardcore fans. But I basically agree with the asertion that the figure is the best 1/6 scale posable Giger ALIEN available.

I think many sculptors get fixated on recreating the biting scenes and try blending the mechanized heads with the other head shapes and designs, but to me it makes the heads look like they are all mouth, like the NECA and Marmit etc. They have slightly overly exagerated features proportions and details to me. They exaggerate and overemphasise the fierceness' of the monster by playing with proportions and elements of the sculpts and paint. Something for everyones imagination, I guess.

I like them all for different reasons, but I'm realistic enough to know that I'll never be able to own any one version of the ALIEN that encomapses everything that's seen in film. I have many versions, but nothing that will ever perfectly capture what's seen on screen - never. I'm cool with that because I have a good understanding about the techniques use to create what's seen on screen. Even if it is possible, you would still require a set of figures, not a single one.

If you can honestly say that you think the HTs ALIEN doesn't represent; isn't based on Giger's concept and what's seen in the movie then who am I to argue with your perception and imagination etc. I tend to look at things holistically and don't get hung up on minor details that may or may not have been part of the movie used suits and heads. We don't have enough high resolution photos and detailed reference materials available to do that with any real clarity or certainty.

I don't want to get drawn into a hopeless debate over our individual visions and versions of the ALIEN, it's pointless when everyone sees something different. There are certain constants, but they have more to do with the overall shape of the creature, rather than the absolute specifics of the finer details. I don't want to get bogged down in a conversation about the dimensions of convoluted hoses and the relative positions of abstract shapes and element used in the suits and heads design; life is just too short for all that... Well, maybe for a while if we were discussing it face to face. :lol

I'm sure your opinion of the figure will change when you receive it and see it in 3D, I think you'll be happier with it because you've probably only seen 2D photos of it on the web. You would think it's just a giant ugly mouth with many of the pics commonly used to criticise it. That's my take on all this.

Yeah, absolutely fabulous pics, DG. I really think they are easily the best photos I've seen of this figure; I'm very impressed.

That last pic steals the show for sure man; love the glint effect.

ALV427: Thanks, and I actually read all that including abake's post as I hadn't read it before. I'm more in your camp that the production schedule was so hurried and there where a variety of suits and heads made for different purposes and you can't really fully rely on any production stills, suit photos, or screencaps since that's just one of many all of which are at the very least a little bit different.

I still don't think the HT figure is perfect, but it doesn't need to be. Hell as you so wordily put none of the heads or suits used in the film where perfect reproductions of the original design.

I'm more concerned about it as a toy/figure. For example I really wish HT would figure out how to make fully close-able lips/jaws on an Alien.

Whoa, yea mine does not have that at all, even with arms pushed forward as much as possible. (they move forward and back at the shoulder)

There was one actual head used in the close ups. And the figure doesnt look like that. So can we stop trying to justify the inaccurate head? It's not gonna happen. Now that may not stop you from loving it, and like Face, I envy you....but really...c'mon.

(adressed to ALV-427whatever)

Back