Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good or Bad - Screen accurate or not

adeb1007.jpg

Dropped Big Chap off at Sick8oy's yard.
The fact is, straight out of the box it looks badass!!

Yep I hear that. My brother in law just left after visiting with his family, (my writing might be a bit wobbly as we drank a bottle of port and a few whiskys)... anyway he's a big fan of the classivc A L I E N movie, reckons he's seen it over 20 times.
So, I had a whole bunch of figures out that I'm reviewing... Silk Specter (he was quite enamored of her), ZC Girl Muriel, JC final battle, MJ Thriller, Wolverine and the Big Chap... needless to say he was blown away by the A L I E N and now wants one. Goes to show most casual fans (if you can call watching it 20 time casual) just see it 100% as the A L I E N.

Les I like the chrome on his teeth, did you do the fingernails too??

Im considering doing it to mine but not sure I want to mod mine in any way in case I eventually want to sell it, i wonder if the sliver pen could wipe off if need be?

Your Ripley is of course amazing but who would expect any less.

Fn' hell DM TWO breaks in a row? I still love it too despite all these QC Issues... My peg broke just like yours, I too heated it up. I emailed HT with the pics and reciept right away, they are slow but they came through for me with my original batman's broken peg.

Im asking them to send me two in case it happens again.

I want the pegs replaced on principal alone.

Yeah Ray but Im not mad at all. As long as I had the extras. The tail issue was the real horror for me. Glad thats been remedied. The pegs while unforgivable, I can live with. Great fig all around though!!! :rock

Awesome pics Les!
Your Ripley is fantastic and your love of HT's alien (and aliens in general) keeps me pumped for this figure, inaccuracies aside.

Awesome pics Les!
Your Ripley is fantastic and your love of HT's alien (and aliens in general) keeps me pumped for this figure, inaccuracies aside.

Les I like the chrome on his teeth, did you do the fingernails too??

Im considering doing it to mine but not sure I want to mod mine in any way in case I eventually want to sell it, i wonder if the sliver pen could wipe off if need be?

Your Ripley is of course amazing but who would expect any less.

Yes I did, Raymond. I think it will wipe off if coarsely treated, but I don't plan to. I bet it would though. Get a Krylon silver leafing pen at Walmart. Works wonders on it. Try washing a bit of watered down black into the cracks of the teeth first, so you get rid of that "barbecue sauce" before choming the teeth.
Nails and toes work great also.

Not much to say in all this debate. I hate seeing those broken ones. Mine came in, a day or two ago, in great shape. It is one of the last figures I am gonna get for a long time, and means a lot to me personally, hell, the Alien is the first real figure I ever got, (the Kenner and the old MPC kit) so this represents thirty years of collecting to me. I do have opinions about the figure, and have kept them to myself for a long time now.

I have read the spirited "conversations" and have to side with Goforindian. Good on you pal! I agree.
I LOVE, and let me say this clearly, LOVE my Hot Toys Big Chap. It took me GREAT pains to get, during tough times, and not without a lot of sacrifice, so I must reiterate, it represents more to me than it could to many of you.
That having been said, I have mine, it's fine, I did readjust the mouth a bit, ten minute transfer of tongue (from a MadFarlane Alien) and a hit with a Krylon silver leafing pen on the teeth, some washes of color, not much, a trim here or there, and done. EASY fixes all. Therefore, I say, the figure as is, is amazing. I was breathless opening the box. And pretty darned grateful also.

Here are the pics of mine, posed with my now FINALLY completed Ripley, which I have worked on for nearly four years...(she needed hair is all...this figure put that fire into me..and no, I am not making them...she is not for sale at any price...but I will share the recipe anytime...) so enjoy one of these, in one very grateful person's collection.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

A great man has spoken... but not just that, a man who dearly loves these movies, and this creature. I am writing up my review now, and I can see the points where Tsang has used some license but this is still just a beautiful, beautiful figure. I do find myself pitying those with a cup half full... especially those that will choose not to own it out of some misplaced inner anger that it's not 'exactly' what they wanted. Well, their loss is at the gain of those who can appreciate... love it!
(but bear in mind how much Port and Whisky I just had... so I'm a bit fired up and all that!)

Just got back home from replacing my Big Chap. New ones perfect and Im loving this fig regardless of all the hate. :D

Ass is perfect now
ass.jpg

Quick Pose
1.jpg

2-1.jpg

But not without its casualties.....Thanks god for extra pegs. And yes I blew dry before I tried to remove but still......
pegs.jpg

I hope the broken piece isn't stuck in the forarm like mine....:banghead

HEY LES! (Re: BIG CHAP collectible figure)

Hey, Les-- congrats! You did a great job with Ripley and really captured the essence of the young Ms.Weaver (foxy!).

I've been following this thread since I ordered my BC (not yet received), and despite the talk, haven't been put off by any of the photos. I think it's the nature of customizers to not expect perfection from mass production, and to instead see opportunities for improving and personalizing what we're given (Darn, Aliens don't look very good with boobs, LOL).

I think it's great that many folks seem to have such a good eye for noting when sculpts are off-- However, I think that it's a shame that the talent is used mainly to produce opinions, instead of sculptures. Having and maintaining "the critical eye" during a project is IMO the hardest thing about sculpting; the rest is just eye-hand coordination and persistence.

P.S.: Many, many thanks for your posts showing your perfect version of "Hicks" (...that I sorta copied)! You'll get mega-kudos when I finally get around to doing my omnibus "Alien" articles website update (the 1:6 Alien Queen project is on hold and I'm currently sidetracked by Guyver stuff).

-Jimbobwan
jbwid.com

I hope the broken piece isn't stuck in the forarm like mine....:banghead

Mine was stuck in there too, the drill trick worked wonders, took less than a minute.

Have you contacted HT about a replacement? Thank god there was another set. Nothing kills the vibe like a broken useless 140 dollar figure right after buying it.

Seeing this pic from the front actually sort of kills my high. What I would not give to have the dome look like this, without that eyesoar seam!! Damn it. Also much prefer the flat look. Im starting to think I agree with the guys, that plastic would have been so much better. They could have had rubber knees and elbows to hide the joints and a rubber torso midsection area.

6Alien_BigChapAlien.jpg

Mine was stuck in there too, the drill trick worked wonders, took less than a minute.

Have you contacted HT about a replacement? Thank god there was another set. Nothing kills the vibe like a broken useless 140 dollar figure right after buying it.

I emailed HT w/the pics & the receipt. I am not going to try the drill thing, sorry :peace. I will wait a week or two. I assume if HT will respond I am wondering if they want me to take the entire arm off for a replacement. :lol:dunno

Anyone hear anything from BBTS about this guy yet?
Les' pictures and description really have me excited for this puppy again!

EDIT: oh man. 3,000th post!

Last edited:
Back