Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I quite understand the problem people have with the mouth in that last shot here. Is it because the mouth opens so wide, or is it because the upper teeth aren't as concave as the middle picture? If you close the mouth on that last shot..the only real difference I see is the concave upper teeth. And that could just be camera angle. That and the first and last digits on the hands needed to be more webbed.
Also, the gap between the edge of the dome and the mouth people were upset about seems dead on.

It's hard to know where to start really. Pretty much every proportion and detail is incorrect. The shape, colour and size of the teeth. The shape of the dome and its angle in relation to the face. The missing pipe running round the edge of the dome. The bevelled edge they have put on the dome. The colour, shape and sunken-cheeked appearance of the mouth tendon area. The colour and shape of the inner jaw. The massive, distended jaw itself...

But as I said, the details don't really matter. What matters is that it just doesn't give the overall impression of what we saw on screen. I'd rather a less detailed, more impressionistic take on the Alien, that overall resembled the screen version.

The Revoltech is a good example. At that size it can't have all the right details, but it still looks very close indeed to the screen version, through judicious use of the right proportions and a skilled sense of the way the Alien seemed to look overall, when you actually sit and watch the film.

Last edited:
And I say again, it's not the minute detail that bothers me. The Medicom isn't entirely spot on with its mouth either, but it gives the overall impression of what we saw on screen.

Despite the lack of chromed teeth, this:

Aliencloseup.jpg

evokes this:

alien_297.JPG

fairly well, and despite being a blurry picture this:

Alien-2.jpg

evokes this:

alien_188.JPG

far better than this:

100_1007.jpg

In my opinion, obviously. The Medicom is far from perfect though, and the door is wide open for someone to have another crack at this figure.

As others have said,these are some great comparison shots!The HT alien looks absolutely ridiculous in that last pic.More humerous than horrifying.I am beginning to lose my interest in this figure,even though its already pre ordered I will make due.But I guess the only real positive from this is that HT wont be making any aliens (i hope).They just cant seem to get it right.

As others have said,these are some great comparison shots!The HT alien looks absolutely ridiculous in that last pic.More humerous than horrifying.

Thanks, although I just want to make it absolutely crystal clear that I was not criticising Sabres' excellent photos at all.

Thanks, although I just want to make it absolutely crystal clear that I was not criticising Sabres' excellent photos at all.

Oh yeah,I should make that clear too.Its not a rag on the photo its a rag on the figure.Sabres takes great shots.:D

I was surprised I received my HT Alien today Sat (1/9/10). :D

I was very careful.......However the socket piece to the left part of the hand/wrist broke off...:(

Just like in a cartoon show my lower jaw dropped :eek:

The broken piece is inside the arm and it is stuck in there. So I emailed HT my receipt and pics of the broken piece.

Here are my craptacular pics...:duh The right hand/wrist piece is fine. I didn't want to touch anything else. As of right now I am guessing a replacement arm because I don't know how I can get that small plastic piece out of the arm. :dunno

I don't mean to ramble on but I hope this can be fixed...:monkey3

I was surprised I received my HT Alien today Sat (1/9/10). :D

I was very careful.......However the socket piece to the left part of the hand/wrist broke off...:(

Just like in a cartoon show my lower jaw dropped :eek:

The broken piece is inside the arm and it is stuck in there. So I emailed HT my receipt and pics of the broken piece.

Here are my craptacular pics...:duh The right hand/wrist piece is fine. I didn't want to touch anything else. As of right now I am guessing a replacement arm because I don't know how I can get that small plastic piece out of the arm. :dunno

I don't mean to ramble on but I hope this can be fixed...:monkey3

That sucks! :banghead

Here's how to get the piece out....
Drill a small hole into the piece making sure not to touch the arm itself.
Then, find a small screw and screw it into the hole you just made... leaving enough of the screw "unscrewed" to get a grip on it. The screw has to be small enough not to damage the arm when you screw it into the wrist peg.
Finally, get some pliers and pull pull pull.

That sucks! :banghead

Here's how to get the piece out....
Drill a small hole into the piece making sure not to touch the arm itself.
Then, find a small screw and screw it into the hole you just made... leaving enough of the screw "unscrewed" to get a grip on it. The screw has to be small enough not to damage the arm when you screw it into the wrist peg.
Finally, get some pliers and pull pull pull.

Thank you Facebox :duff. I might wait till either HT or the online store where I purchased it from to respond to my email request. I know it might be a while. But I can wait.

So, apologies if this was already answered but it is really tough to wade through all of the complaints and whatnot, but for those of you with this figure in-hand--how is the rubber on this thing? Apart from the OSW horror story, any concerns that this might not hold up well (similar to previous HT Aliens)? Or do you think it might be pretty durable?

Hows the skin round by his tail Ray? Is it all attached?

mine seems to be fine around the tail DarthMagnus.

After some closer inspection, yeah I too have some beefs. its not the sculpt or overall look which i think is great its the damn springing lever jaw. Ugh... its so Hasbro. Could they not have made it just rubber covered articulation and you stick the thing in its mouth and take it out after?

And the seam around the bottom of the dome is just unforgiveable. The rest though, I like.

sigh... and there it breaks. Wrist peg fr me too. Damn you Hot Toys... At least there are two sets of pegs. Can still enjoy it just the same during the long wait time for the replacement peg.

Damn you Failen... I tired to defend you...

Aside from the surprising lack of quality in some areas I do like this figure I think the paint is nice, the body looks really cool, the sculpt is nice. Just don't like the rubber, the seams, the breaking pegs and lack of stand and most importantly the lever function.

Guys what are some tips in terms of protecting the rubber on these aliens? this is my first one.

Last edited:
i plan to display him an a slightly less extreme version of this pose, making sure no rubber is touching/ bending in ways that could ruin it, like i do with my rubber batman. I will also have the left leg on a stand with a loop prong around the leg and the other resting on the base he came with.

Im really glad he came with other pegs otherwise id not be a happy camper right now.

picture20wn.png

picture22c.png

picture21s.png

picture23q.png

picture19.png

I'm not sure I quite understand the problem people have with the mouth in that last shot here. Is it because the mouth opens so wide, or is it because the upper teeth aren't as concave as the middle picture? If you close the mouth on that last shot..the only real difference I see is the concave upper teeth. And that could just be camera angle. That and the first and last digits on the hands needed to be more webbed.
Also, the gap between the edge of the dome and the mouth people were upset about seems dead on.

Do you not have eyes? Can you not see a huge difference between the HT and the movie version's face? I mean, it's cool if you like it....but most of the people here have noticed this problem. I have no clue why you're so stubborn about this...calling people obessesed fanboys and such.

I mean...come on....

Back