Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe Tsang just doesn't have what it takes.

I think he has what it takes, I mean if you set aside accurracy and judget the sheer detail and quality of sculpture on the HT Alien figures, they're beautiful works.

The realy question is, why do they depart from the source material. There is no source material in existence to come up with the design of anatomy used on the ALIENS figure, it's completely conceptual. Hot Toys made a snap kit ALIENS figure that was a great job, for a 4" figure captured as much Giger design as possible, but then at 1/6, it wasn't even in the ballpark.

I really think there's some sort of intentional reason for some of the innaccurracies, a stylistic choice or something, they just seem too deliberate and not due to error or inability of sculptors.

Actually, this hasn't been discussed much I think, but I do worry about articulation on this figure. The rubber suit means it will be very limited, which is a shame. I would've accepted artistic interpretation to accommodate their usual hip articulation. No stooping pose, again. No crouching either.

Which is interesting to me because I see that as a sign of caring, that they felt people would rather see the design disrupted less for articulation so they minimized it, and since it wasn't the most action oriented one of the series, that ok to an extent.

We can only hope they fix it.

Abake, he's obviously influenced by the Takeya pieces. Stylized aliens are cool.:monkey5

It's not supposed to be stylised and cool, it's supposed to be Giger and the coolest. Why bother making a proto that doesn't represent? So they can fix it and say we listen to our fans? Too bad the proto couldn't be as good as their spin doctor.

I just don't understand the process that could result in what we see now. I won't assume to know the behind-the-scenes process, but shouldn't there be a few people on the HT team that could have noticed how inaccurate Tsang's work on the Giger Alien was? I cannot believe he was given carte blanche to take such drastic creative liberties with this character. But again, this isn't the finished product and I still want to believe that HT just unveiled the piece too early.

I think he has what it takes, I mean if you set aside accurracy and judget the sheer detail and quality of sculpture on the HT Alien figures, they're beautiful works.

The realy question is, why do they depart from the source material. There is no source material in existence to come up with the design of anatomy used on the ALIENS figure, it's completely conceptual. Hot Toys made a snap kit ALIENS figure that was a great job, for a 4" figure captured as much Giger design as possible, but then at 1/6, it wasn't even in the ballpark.

I really think there's some sort of intentional reason for some of the innaccurracies, a stylistic choice or something, they just seem too deliberate and not due to error or inability of sculptors.

It's not supposed to be stylised and cool, it's supposed to be Giger and the coolest. Why bother making a proto that doesn't represent? So they can fix it and say we listen to our fans? Too bad the proto couldn't be as good as their spin doctor.

Tell me about it, I know. I'm still trying to understand why he would sculpt it like that. And then to describe it as a replica of Giger's work, just baffling.
And I'm willing to bet they'll leave it alone, and we'll get it just like the pics. :(

Honestly though, I can't say I'm really surprised. Given their track record with the Alien license, and after seeing the 1/4 "Giger" bust, you kinda had the feeling they'd just use a similar sculpt for the head.

We can only hope they fix it.

Abake, he's obviously influenced by the Takeya pieces. Stylized aliens are cool.:monkey5

Bingo!
But those are Takeya aliens, and everybody loves them for that.
These are Movie Masterpieces aliens. They shouldn't be Tsang aliens.

As I said, I do enjoy HT's aliens tremendously for what they are, cool interpretations of the aliens, but I feel it's a gigantic missed opportunity to make something truly outstanding, something that had never been done before.

I just don't understand the process that could result in what we see now. I won't assume to know the behind-the-scenes process, but shouldn't there be a few people on the HT team that could have noticed how inaccurate Tsang's work on the Giger Alien was? I cannot believe he was given carte blanche to take such drastic creative liberties with this character. But again, this isn't the finished product and I still want to believe that HT just unveiled the piece too early.

Unfortunately, this happens in the industry. It may have been a unanimous decision from the creative team or it may have come down to a vote. (I doubt it was requested by the licensor - FOX).

...all we can hope for is that they change it.

will they change? will not ?
I don't care about it now.
I sold my HT collection last year,and I still think "HT sucks" ……when they've done a beautiful creature with Cap inside …… well ,this time, Crap outside ……

Well HT received our concerns. The pics are up on their site. But it's still the prototype (right :confused:). Like many of us I am not keen @ all w/the skull, mouth, & hands. But it's up to HT if they will honor what they have stated on their site regarding their best representation on Giger's creation. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be repetitive here. It's been discussed before and better interpreted by others :peace

Fingers crossed. And yes HT please delay this figure to make the necessary changes. :D

Personally, I'm willing to wait another full year if it means that we'll get the original alien.
They did manage to change Dutch, and Marcus' head....so....fingers crossed.

Imagine the uproar if they made the Sentinel, Endoskeleton, Predator...or god forbid....TDK this way. (stylized)

The irony is, of the two companies, HT's Alien is more stylized and Medicom's is more accurrate, when typically, they're known for doing the opposite with the rest of their figures.

Yeah, the Medi-alien looks like a true labor of love, what is baffling in their case is that they went to all the trouble of making what seems to be a unique body and still didn't do it in 1/6 scale... who can understand toy companies? :lol

Yeah, the Medi-alien looks like a true labor of love, what is baffling in their case is that they went to all the trouble of making what seems to be a unique body and still didn't do it in 1/6 scale... who can understand toy companies? :lol

Is it in scale to their regular figures though, it'd make most sense to hold to that instead of the figure scale Hot Toys, Sideshow and others use.

So are you saying Medicom's Alien is short by 1:6th standards? That's a pity. I was thinking of getting a Medicom Alien if Hot Toys didn't keep their promise.

Is it in scale to their regular figures though, it'd make most sense to hold to that instead of the figure scale Hot Toys, Sideshow and others use.

Nope, not to scale with their own figures:

DSC01117.jpg

So are you saying Medicom's Alien is short by 1:6th standards? That's a pity. I was thinking of getting a Medicom Alien if Hot Toys didn't keep their promise.

Very short by 1/6 standards:

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01092.jpg

But it is a beautiful figure and a near-perfect representation of Giger's alien. As a stand alone piece it is brilliant. Paint apps are pretty much non-existant though.

Back