Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sort of thing I can live with. It's not integral to the look of the Alien, whereas the face and teeth most definitely are. I don't understand how they can take those iconic shiny chrome dentures and turn them into tiny little gummy peg teeth without thinking "Maybe we should have another crack at this..."

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I'm seriously considering giving up on this forum . Comments saying "H.T sucks " and the like are indicative of the attitude of an increasing number of members . I've changed my entire collecting habits thanks to Hot Toys and have never been disapointed with their pieces ( apart from the "Aliens" Warrior debacle , which in my opinion was a freak occurance of poor materials ) and I've been collecting figures since BEFORE it was the "cool" thing to do . I lapped up the Kenner figures "back in the day " because the fact that you could ACTUALLY HAVE AN ALIEN OR PREDATOR ON THE SHELF was in itself a fans dream . You genuinely couldn't have imagined owning a figure of the quality or attention to detail ( oh, I'm sorry , the details are SO WRONG ) of the H.T products back then . I know , the figures are very expensive , but for God's sake no one has a gun to your head to buy these things . It's simple , don't like 'em , don't buy 'em! And yes , before the flaming starts , I know I'm probably not as big a fan , or as particular in my standards as some of you guys , after all , I've only been a fan of Star Wars since '77, a viewer of the first Alien a couple of years later and a fan of "action figures" since well before that , but I'll be buying the "Big Chap" and I'll take great pleasure in displaying it .( And having a sly "play" when no-one is looking). Make of that what you will .:(

I think the comments of HT sucks are in the frank minority, and rightly so.
What we are saying is simple: it's not as good as it could be, we know they can do it better, so why don't they do it?
That's basically all.
And a few reference pics and colorful remarks. :D

I'm seriously considering giving up on this forum . Comments saying "H.T sucks " and the like are indicative of the attitude of an increasing number of members . I've changed my entire collecting habits thanks to Hot Toys and have never been disapointed with their pieces ( apart from the "Aliens" Warrior debacle , which in my opinion was a freak occurance of poor materials ) and I've been collecting figures since BEFORE it was the "cool" thing to do . I lapped up the Kenner figures "back in the day " because the fact that you could ACTUALLY HAVE AN ALIEN OR PREDATOR ON THE SHELF was in itself a fans dream . You genuinely couldn't have imagined owning a figure of the quality or attention to detail ( oh, I'm sorry , the details are SO WRONG ) of the H.T products back then . I know , the figures are very expensive , but for God's sake no one has a gun to your head to buy these things . It's simple , don't like 'em , don't buy 'em! And yes , before the flaming starts , I know I'm probably not as big a fan , or as particular in my standards as some of you guys , after all , I've only been a fan of Star Wars since '77, a viewer of the first Alien a couple of years later and a fan of "action figures" since well before that , but I'll be buying the "Big Chap" and I'll take great pleasure in displaying it .( And having a sly "play" when no-one is looking). Make of that what you will .:(

completely agree with this post, the big chap figure is incredible and I'm definately getting it. Hope no changes are made and the final product is as close as the proto as we can get...

Don't give up on us, Thundergod.

Expectations have grown exponentially since HT raised the bar and then shot it over the moon. I agree that it's a great alien -- if not precisely the Giger one, still HT's BEST effort to date.

completely agree with this post, the big chap figure is incredible and I'm definately getting it. Hope no changes are made and the final product is as close as the proto as we can get...

Why would you want a figure that is not accurate vs. a figure that is accurate?
Do you dislike Giger's design?
Just curious.

And yes, this looks like HT's best alien so far.

Don't give up on us, Thundergod.

Expectations have grown exponentially since HT raised the bar and then shot it over the moon. I agree that it's a great alien -- if not precisely the Giger one, still HT's BEST effort to date.

Agreed. Don't give up on us although I can see why you gave up on them. And it's not just this thread, it's pervasive throughout the board. When I joined SSF there were 800 members and it was a classy, civil place.

Now, it's like spoiled bipolar Kids in Romper Room on a Sugar High. :lol Why I spend less and less time here lately. It's become, in part, a real turn off to visit threads. And I'm not alone. It's become chronic.

But there are also many passionate, concerned voices who want and hope for the best when it comes to Giger. In this case ART is not to be stylized, it should be properly represented. :D

booooo, you stink, booooo :D :monkey5

just kidding brother,
i'm with you 100% :lecture:clap

It's not a bad figure, but the mouth really disappoints. The teeth should be vicious, instead it looks like the mouth of a Hawaiian Trigger fish.

Unless they improve that portion of the figure, I'll have to pass and live with my Neca 21" Giger Alien.

Not knocking Hot Toys, I love 'em, got plenty of their figures, but they have set high standards for themselves and by their fans, and they shouldn't be outdone by the likes of Neca.

But there are also many passionate, concerned voices who want and hope for the best when it comes to Giger. In this case ART is not to be stylized, it should be properly represented. :D

Indeed, Giger and Stan Winston really revolutionized Sci-Fi creature design and really delivered some very interesting designs and the Alien in particular has always been one that is rarely seen for all the work put in. The film itself hardly gives you a glimpse at all the work Giger put it, most of it obscured in shadow. Our collectibles are the only really good way to truly see and appreciate his design for all it was and true representations are few and rare. NECA and McFarlane's figures are probably the most easily affordable and mass available renditions to date, everything else has been expensive or hard to come by.

People just want the head tweaked a bit.

It's not like this is a heated argument of the exact degree of the flare on vader's helmet.

Hahah, sorry, couldn't resist. :chew:D:p

And you're right, it's a great time to be a Alien collector, Giger's piece is finally starting to get some excellent representation in figure and statue form.

So you want an Alien that looks nothing like any ^^^^ing Alien ever show on film ever?

Alrighty then.

are the teeth made that small because the working inner jaw has to come out past them? I was just thinking earlier, and wondered if there was a reason they aren't as long and pointy as the real ones.

It's possible I suppose. Contradicting myself somewhat, as most would consider it an iconic feature, but I'd happily forego an extending jaw in favour of a really accurate, detailed, and crucially chromed set of closed teeth.

It's possible I suppose. Contradicting myself somewhat, as most would consider it an iconic feature, but I'd happily forego an extending jaw in favour of a really accurate, detailed, and crucially chromed set of closed teeth.

Amen to that.

Someone pointed out on another board that the HT description says it was based on Giger's Original design. So, more the concept designs with the bug eyes? Maybe that's why they sculpted the head like that?

I don't know.

Back