Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 1 re-release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected on the limited edition branding only being present on the Marvel figs (although the Mark I is still a Marvel fig). To each his own I guess. You do have a point in that there is no wrong to re-release the same/similar product if its quality can be improved. But HT is stepping on a very fine line here imo. If you're re-issuing the same figure that appear in a different film, I think that might still be acceptable (like the IM Mark 2 AU or the Classic Pred from the Predators movie). Re-releasing the same figure based on the same movie however, to me, is just taking it a little too far. Again, it's just my opinion but yes, thanks for your views...definitely helped me understand things better.

original.jpg

"...as if millions of scalper voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." :lol

DX treatment would be a good excuse to justify the re-release of this figure.
So. . .Stark needs the googly eyes then? Seems pretty unnecessary to me, but HT also seems to think that any reasonably fancy release nowadays has to have PERS, so you might be right.

:clap:clap:clap

'course this was talked about way back during SDCC when it was a rumor. But nevermind that.
There was a Facebook posting where someone working for HT said there was a Mark I diorama. When the Mark IV gantry was announced, folks figured that was a typo. But now, it seems they may have been referring to this figure and the new hall of armor dio.

glad to know i can buy again this suit. i sold off mine a couple months back at a premium price BIB to finance my other hobby =)

now i can get it again with a better sculpt (and suit paint job perhaps).

thanks Hot Toys!
Really, that's the best way to collect HT if you want the newest and best--try to anticipate when they will re-release, and sell the older version when the price is at its peak before the re-release is announced. Congrats!

guess robocop will be up next for re-release:D
HT apparently does have that license, and that figure can use an update IMO.

I have the original V1 version and I love it (still boxed unfortunately, dont have space to display him yet) and it doesn't bother me at all that they are going to re-issue the MkI, because I bought the original because I was able to afford to do so and because I am a huge IronMan fan and I wanted the MkI.

I am glad for those IM fans who missed out on being able to get the VI (due to whatever reasons) because they will now be able to get a VII and hopefully be as happy with it as I am with my version :clap

What i don't get is people saying oh I'm going to wait skip the VIs of an edition and wait for the second edition to come out in a couple of years or whatever, I mean if you like a character that you want the collectible of, then why wait for the VII or VIII etc when you can get the first version, because you don't know if your going to be around when those next versions come out do you? I mean you could get go out and get run over by a bus or what ever tomorrow, so just get what you can now and enjoy it.

I too hope they re-release the MkIII because that's the one suit I missed out on from the first film when they first came out, because I only started collecting a long time after they originally came out and I wasn't going to pay flippers/scalpers prices for it and I was quite content with having only my MkI and MkII so hope to one day be able to complete my "Iron Man I" group with a MkIII VI or VII (dont want the battle damaged version!!)

IMO, if they are going to re-issue things, then they shouldn't charge the prices they do. You know this Mach 1 will be a lot higher than the original one.

I just hope that if they do make another Wolverine, it's an X-Men movie one.

I have the original V1 version and I love it (still boxed unfortunately, dont have space to display him yet) and it doesn't bother me at all that they are going to re-issue the MkI, because I bought the original because I was able to afford to do so and because I am a huge IronMan fan and I wanted the MkI.

I am glad for those IM fans who missed out on being able to get the VI (due to whatever reasons) because they will now be able to get a VII and hopefully be as happy with it as I am with my version :clap

What i don't get is people saying oh I'm going to wait skip the VIs of an edition and wait for the second edition to come out in a couple of years or whatever, I mean if you like a character that you want the collectible of, then why wait for the VII or VIII etc when you can get the first version, because you don't know if your going to be around when those next versions come out do you? I mean you could get go out and get run over by a bus or what ever tomorrow, so just get what you can now and enjoy it.

I too hope they re-release the MkIII because that's the one suit I missed out on from the first film when they first came out, because I only started collecting a long time after they originally came out and I wasn't going to pay flippers/scalpers prices for it and I was quite content with having only my MkI and MkII so hope to one day be able to complete my "Iron Man I" group with a MkIII VI or VII (dont want the battle damaged version!!)

Because not everyone has the money to spend on all these different versions and they want to wait and get the best one they can get.

I don't think most of us collectors who disagree with HT's methods have any intention of flipping their figures. But with every collectible company, "limited edition" is a selling point for HT's products. I believe Sideshow doesn't do re-issues no matter how popular their products are, because they honor their vow to keep their stuffs limited. My whole point is HT should just rename all their figures as "V1.0", much like how computer softwares are tagged. That way, they can regularly update the same product as many times as they like without causing an uproar. I am also sure people are willing to fork out the ever-increasing prices HT charges because of the "limited edition" tag, because they believe that these products won't be produced anymore in the future. So by going the way of re-issues, HT is not honoring the promise they made, though never explicitly mentioned, that people held in good faith.

Anyway, some will be happy with HT's policies while others won't. I'm one of those that aren't simply because HT are not keeping their end of the bargain.

:goodpost::exactly:

Somebody did mentioned that even HT re-issues won't hurt the value of the original to be much lower, guess what? I had a 2005 Wonderfest Medicom Limited to 500pcs 1/6 Zombie Camo MGS Snake bought at the retail price of approx. 190usd, it did fetch up to the high 400plus USD during 2006 - 2009 period. They re-issued it in 2010, I sold it this year on the bay & manage to get like only 99usd despite the fact that its still todate one of the best Snake figure out in the market. So gd luck to all of us HT collectors.

:goodpost::exactly:

I never thought that they would do a blatant re-release out of the blue like that after so many years of making the original Mark I figure, but they did. Lookout AVP preds. This is a big move by hot toys. I wouldn't be surprised now if they start re-releasing old preds like AVP with the new pred bodies. Quick! sell your old AVP pred figs now before it's too late!!! :panic: :panic:

If your worried about the value going down sell it now.the price is still pretty high for these and if you aren't planing to sell it that why are you complaning?

Buy it cause you like it not because it might be "rare."

:yess::nono

I'll take it step further. Whether they would admit it or not, those who are complaining about any re-releases are doing so because some part of them is in it for potential for profit. I personally keep everything I start collecting. If I loose interest, I just stop that line.

If you have a rare item, and are happy to have it because it is a great piece, then why wouldn't you be happy if other collectors get to experience what you are able to by having a re-release of that same piece? And as a few others have stated, how do you know the value of the original will go down or stay down? What if there are some who like the original better? That could make it more valueable. Rarity and value doesn't always revolve around demand or quality. How much does a contrictor from Marvel Secret Wars ( 80's ) sell for? Over $100?, $200? It's a total piece of crap figure and was only $5 retail.

If your worried about the value going down sell it now.the price is still pretty high for these and if you aren't planing to sell it that why are you complaning?

There is no right or wrong way of collecting. We shouldn't be too judgmental about it. To each his own.

There are those collectors who only collect for value/investment, and those collectors that collect because they like it, and those collectors who collect for both.

If you are into collecting for pure profit and value then you are bearing all the risk of collecting this way. You win some, you lose some. It's painful to lose, but don't complain if you do. Just try to minimize your loss and sell as soon as possible before it gets worse. In sum, if you don't complain about reaping the benefits of collecting as an investment, then don't complain about the potential dangers and risks of experiencing a loss by collecting as an investment. if it's your choice to collect this way then you should take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back