1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man Maintenance/Repair Methods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought this might be a good place to ask this. Do you guys buy replacement batteries locally or online? I took the batteries out of my Mark VII right after I got it and haven't seen em since. I've been looking around locally for the right kind but I can only find packs of one or two batteries(if any) for $5-6 a piece. Is it really going to cost me $30+ to replace all the batteries for my mark V!!? Yikes.

Thought this might be a good place to ask this. Do you guys buy replacement batteries locally or online? I took the batteries out of my Mark VII right after I got it and haven't seen em since. I've been looking around locally for the right kind but I can only find packs of one or two batteries(if any) for $5-6 a piece. Is it really going to cost me $30+ to replace all the batteries for my mark V!!? Yikes.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I really wish these figures came with an easy way to light up via AC power. The batteries are expensive, a pain in the a$$ to get to and to change, annoying to turn on (3 or more switches per figure), and deteriorate over time. I'd love an easy way to use an AC adapter to turn on all the lights just by plugging it in. Do people with a lot of them really spend time turning them all on and off all the time? I'm asking honestly; I can't see myself doing that, at all.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really wish these figures came with an easy way to light up via AC power. The batteries are expensive, a pain in the a$$ to get to and to change, annoying to turn on (3 or more switches per figure), and deteriorate over time. I'd love an easy way to use an AC adapter to turn on all the lights just by plugging it in. Do people with a lot of them really spend time turning them all on and off all the time? I'm asking honestly; I can't see myself doing that, at all.

I'd wager you're in the vast majority on AC power vs the little batteries. I don't bother installing the batteries on new figs, I never use the switches lol. I may make an exception for Hulkbuster or Whiplash mk 2 though.

I'd wager you're in the vast majority on AC power vs the little batteries. I don't bother installing the batteries on new figs, I never use the switches lol. I may make an exception for Hulkbuster or Whiplash mk 2 though.
Something as big and prominent as Hulkbuster should absolutely have an AC port somewhere on the back of it...maybe in the heel or something.

Amazon, batteries of all kinds get big markups in stores.

Well they don't do that because of the wiring required, the figures would be a lot more complicated and a lot less posable if everything had power wires running through it. Not to mention all that wiring being pulled apart when detaching a limb incorrectly. Someday they may get inductive power working, that'd be the way to go. Just have a powered base and individual elements could be lit when in proximity. In the mean time, batteries it is.

Amazon, batteries of all kinds get big markups in stores.

Well they don't do that because of the wiring required, the figures would be a lot more complicated and a lot less posable if everything had power wires running through it. Not to mention all that wiring being pulled apart when detaching a limb incorrectly. Someday they may get inductive power working, that'd be the way to go. Just have a powered base and individual elements could be lit when in proximity. In the mean time, batteries it is.

I like the idea of inductive charging. Thanks.

I'd say you can fix anything with enough patience. I have a Mark VII Battle Damaged one that the switch came loose inside the head... I was not happy and I wasn't thrilled about taking the head apart, but I did... here's the pics of the parts...

Ultimately I found the seams where the head was glued. I worked them apart VERY carefully and VERY SLOWLY (we're talking applying pressure carefully over a period of 2 hours, I had the TV on some shows I watch, so I didn't mind doing it very slowly). It wasn't fun, but I got it all apart. I then tried using some superglue to glue the switch back in, and the switch melted from the fumes. So I had to get a replacement switch - found the exact same switch on eBay (here's a link to some like what I got, I got a 5-pack, you can look around for smaller quantity - 20x Black Mini Size SPDT Slide Switch on Off PCB DIY | eBay )

Those finally came, and I discovered don't even try gluing, no matter how little glue you put or how careful you are, it will ruin the switches. So I finally soldered a fresh one on in place of the old switch, and used some two-part epoxy putty around the switch, careful to not fill in where the LED illuminates to light the eyes, and then put the head back together (you can glue the head back carefully, that won't hurt the switch). Now I'm happy to report it's back together and fully functional like new, and that switch has nowhere to slide to any more, it's staying put in that hardened epoxy-putty.

So I would say you could definitely fix any of the Iron Man parts, but be prepared to spend some time doing it, it's not fun but it's definitely do-able.

Kind Regards,
Ken
Nice post, Ken. Thanks.

I have been offered IM Secret Project for $450. It is in perfect shape BUT the LEDs in the arms (both of them) are not lighting. Together with the owner I have tried changing batteries for new ones, moving them, cleaning contacts… without any success. Do you think that there is an easy solution? It is very strange that LEDs in BOTH arms have stopped suddenly working....

I have been offered IM Secret Project for $450. It is in perfect shape BUT the LEDs in the arms (both of them) are not lighting. Together with the owner I have tried changing batteries for new ones, moving them, cleaning contacts… without any success. Do you think that there is an easy solution? It is very strange that LEDs in BOTH arms have stopped suddenly working....

Its possible the wires inside the forearm are broken or detached. This happened in my Starboost, the peg that the hand pops onto was lose inside the arm, so if you turned the hand it would spin the whole piece inside the arm, and that twisting motion popped the wire where it was soldered to the battery contacts. I don't know the specifics of how that figure is put together, but on Starboost the cover for that was glued on. Its a very simple circuit that lights these elements up, so if you can expose the area the problem should be easy to spot, and if it is a detached wire it just takes a dab of solder to fix.

Its possible the wires inside the forearm are broken or detached. This happened in my Starboost, the peg that the hand pops onto was lose inside the arm, so if you turned the hand it would spin the whole piece inside the arm, and that twisting motion popped the wire where it was soldered to the battery contacts. I don't know the specifics of how that figure is put together, but on Starboost the cover for that was glued on. Its a very simple circuit that lights these elements up, so if you can expose the area the problem should be easy to spot, and if it is a detached wire it just takes a dab of solder to fix.
Thanks for the advice. I think that I will buy it and try to fix it. It should not be too difficult with proper tools and patience.

hi guys, gald to see this post. i am facing issue on my hottoy mk.2 AU ver. as his left arm the iron?copper? in the battery's content was lose, you can see the picture it is out of the place that it suppose to attach with. i took out the battery long ago so i m curious how could this be? so i have to put it back to where that piece of iron it should be and...during the fixing i broke the spring inside accidentally as well. anyone know how to fix it? IMG_5793.jpg

2. I having a lot of the screw is very difficult to open it. i tried put some oil(WD40) but it doesn't help. i m using jewelry screwdriver but it some how not matched all the screw that ironman have. mind to share the specification of the screwdriver that you guys currently using?

Any tips on fixing my Mark 43 left hand that sometime turns on and sometimes it wont. I tried putting new batteries but the issue remains? not really an electrical guy so any help is much appreciated. Unfortunately I cant return it to sideshow since I bought it here in the forum.

Edit: I tried squeezing the tip where the bub is located and it seems to turn on if I press it together tightly.

Last edited:
Guys, I have a mark 42 batteries that have leaked and would like to know what size are they so i can get replacements after I clean it up. What size are they and where can I get them? Thank you

I've just encountered this problem with my Starboost on the right arm. The hand still lights up, but I'm keen to stop the post spin. Did you manage to fix it and if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks.

I'm not certain where specifically to post this question, however would anybody know of any alternatives to a soap reactor?

Back