1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man Maintenance/Repair Methods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWExia

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place to put this. Was hoping some experts here in electronics could help me out

Recently I took out my HT Mark 3 to test out the lights, only to realise that the lights are dead due to corrosion from the batteries leakage.

Any experts here would know how to revive my mark 3?

Clean up the battery compartment with electrical cleaner and replace the batteries. Then test the light systems, and take the batteries out! I leave all the batteries out.

Clean up the battery compartment with electrical cleaner and replace the batteries. Then test the light systems, and take the batteries out! I leave all the batteries out.

Will/does the Mark VII have the same problem?

Should I take the stock batteries out and never put them back in? (As a preventative measure)

Will/does the Mark VII have the same problem?

Should I take the stock batteries out and never put them back in? (As a preventative measure)
Yes. As a preventive measure, take out all the batteries if you are planning to store your figure or aren't gonna use the light-up features for a long time.

I've taken the batteries out and store it in a container

Even if it's not in the toy, the batteries do still leak and pop open by itself

I've taken the batteries out and store it in a container

Even if it's not in the toy, the batteries do still leak and pop open by itself

Thanks for the responses.

So is this a thing with all battery types that are used in the Hot Toys Iron Man figures, or is it just the type of batteries that Hot Toys uses that leak?

So is this a thing with all battery types that are used in the Hot Toys Iron Man figures, or is it just the type of batteries that Hot Toys uses that leak?

It's not just Hot Toys. Most toys with light-up and/or sound effects gimmicks that are packaged with free batteries often encounter this problem -- be it toys using button cells or standard ones like AA or AAA, etc. These toy manufacturers often use very cheap batteries of inferior quality that easily rust and/or leak. Even branded batteries can leak if kept in the figure for a long time, especially if not often used. I think weather/room temperature can also add up to the factors that cause it.

It's not just Hot Toys. Most toys with light-up and/or sound effects gimmicks that are packaged with free batteries often encounter this problem. These toy manufacturers often use very cheap batteries of inferior quality that easily rust and/or leak. Even branded batteries can leak if kept in the figure for a long time, especially if not often used. I think weather/room temperature can also add up to the factors that cause it.

Ok! Thanks for the information! I'll definitely take them out then.

When I removed the batteries from my figures I didn't have any leakage thankfully. The only ones that leaked were brand new Energizers that I put in my Ghost Rider Hellcycle.

I always tell everyone to take all their batteries out.

What size screwdriver is everyone using to get these things out? Those screws are tiny, they'd be a nightmare if stripped :monkey3

Have a problem with my hot rod iron man fig light switch. I somehow managed to get the switch to the arc reactor light stuck inside of the figure. The switch is so tiny to turn on and off so I used the small screw driver to turn the light on But the switch part was pushed inside of the figure. Has this happened to anyone before? And is this something that can be fixed? I can post a pic of it once I get home soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a problem with my hot rod iron man fig light switch. I somehow managed to get the switch to the arc reactor light stuck inside of the figure. The switch is so tiny to turn on and off so I used the small screw driver to turn the light on But the switch part was pushed inside of the figure. Has this happened to anyone before? And is this something that can be fixed? I can post a pic of it once I get home soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That happened to my WM2, there wasn't enough glue holding the switch in so it came loose and pushed into the figure. I got a replacement torso, then went to take apart the bad one before destroying it to see if it would be an easy fix.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...8d03-war-machine-mark-2-a-42.html#post6559680

QmwwTMz.jpg

Pretty much, no. The screw covers are glued on, so you have to pry them off without having done much damage just to get the torso apart.

bg9r01C.jpg

From here if you have some long tools you can probably get the switch glued, its not easy but it could be done.

qBzdO4y.jpg

Taking it any further apart requires breaking more glued pieces off, the "intakes" on the side and the rail that the big gun sits in for starters. Doing this without cosmetic damage would be very hard

This is what the problem area looks like though, you can see a dab of black glue near where the black wire goes. Not enough was on the edges so you can see where the glue came apart
FSHa64l.jpg

All batteries. The cheaper the batteries the faster it will happen, but all batteries will leak eventually. If you have a big box of old toys from your childhood somewhere and any batteries were left in them you'll have a mess on your hands next time you open them up.

You can use baking soda mixed in water with some q tips and toothpicks to clean up, its a slow process and the metal can be permanently corroded underneath but you can at least get the growth off.

Also when you take out button cells, don't throw them all in a big bag together. They can end up touching the contacts on each other and will heat up, drain, and/or leak very quickly. You can keep them separate with some scotch tape like this-

Bmq3tYB.jpg

Thank you rocbolt for your helpful reply. Thats exactly what happened to mine. The switch fell through and I can see the red and black wires. Unfortunately for me i cant return to sideshow for a replacement.

Yeah its in a tough place. If you have a plastic spudger tool that is the best option to get the screw covers off without marring them

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Spudger/IF145-002

Those first small glued on covers take some nerve to pop off but they are small enough that they shouldn't bend or break. Those screws below loosen up the ball and socket joint that holds the torso together, so removing them allows you to pop the joint apart. That is as far as I would go taking it apart, from there again with some long tools you should be able to see and prod at the switch, enough to get some glue on it. It can be fixed but I would only do it if you really have your heart set on using the arc reactor light.

I have a question guys, I'm a MISB collector mostly and I unfortunately had to open my Mk IV secret project and WM Mk 1 to remove the batteries... I'm hoping to avoid this or any other complications (like the pink waist issues with the earlier iron mans which effectively triggered a mass sale of all my armors)...

At the moment I have the Mk III die cast on preorder, but more to the point, I have WM mk II and was also thinking of getting Iron Patriot, do any of these latter 2 have any issues straight out of the box or if kept in the box for long periods of time?

I have a question guys, I'm a MISB collector mostly and I unfortunately had to open my Mk IV secret project and WM Mk 1 to remove the batteries... I'm hoping to avoid this or any other complications (like the pink waist issues with the earlier iron mans which effectively triggered a mass sale of all my armors)...

At the moment I have the Mk III die cast on preorder, but more to the point, I have WM mk II and was also thinking of getting Iron Patriot, do any of these latter 2 have any issues straight out of the box or if kept in the box for long periods of time?

AFAIK, the WM Mk 2 & IP have no problems out of the box for the majority of collectors. That being said, my IP came with 2 right fists attached lol, so I had to get a left fist from SS Customer Service which was simple enough. You never really know lol. Leaving these in the box for extended periods you should be fine since the batteries aren't pre installed anymore, just be mindful of the temp of your storage unit/area.

AFAIK, the WM Mk 2 & IP have no problems out of the box for the majority of collectors. That being said, my IP came with 2 right fists attached lol, so I had to get a left fist from SS Customer Service which was simple enough. You never really know lol. Leaving these in the box for extended periods you should be fine since the batteries aren't pre installed anymore, just be mindful of the temp of your storage unit/area.

Thanks man, very much appreciate it :):):)

Back