1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man Armor Construction Bay - Bones/Mark 42 Hybrid Armor Custom Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boba Debt

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this since Hot Toys released the Mark 3 Construction Set.

I like the concept and the electronics but not real thrilled about the base and the top panel and I hate to have repeated armors in my display

So I have been working on my own concept which is part of the Work Shop Level of my Stark Mansion Diorama.

My version will feature a Hot Toys IM2 HOA Figure Base. I could see Tony using this type of base to stabilize and move armors around his shop as he built and tested them.

I used a complete base for the bottom but I added wheels, so he can roll armors around the shop.

For the top, I used a stripped down base. I did this because I thought the combination of the 2 base plates would create a defined construction bay

I used a working 1/10 scale RC winch as an overhead hoist. I found a complete remote controlled set up on eBay for $50. I also have a set of chains and shackles which I will use to create a lifting apparatus

I'm going to try to replace the Mark III armor with a modified Bones armor and I want to incorporate some Mark 42 parts on it to make it look more transitional

Enough with the exposition, here are some pics and a video.

Wide shot of the area

Close up of the mobile base

Close up of the hoist

Video of the hoist test

Last edited:
Re: Hot Toys Iron Man Armor Construction Bay - Custom Project

That is ridiculously bad ass. Your whole set up is incredible and yet you still find new ways to improve upon it. Brilliant work!

I'm assuming the holesaw is just there to test the winch, and not part of the display. :D

Looking good.

I received my Mark 3 Construction Set and it doesn't look like I can strip the electronics out of the figure without destroying it.

I may have to re-think this project

Last edited:

What was it you wanted to do?

I was going to remove the electronics from the Mark 3 and use them in a Bones figure.

However, it looks like they are cast into the Nark 3 torso so I don't know if I can get usable electronics even if I destroy the Mark 3 to get to them.

I was going to remove the electronics from the Mark 3 and use them in a Bones figure.

However, it looks like they are cast into the Nark 3 torso so I don't know if I can get usable electronics even if I destroy the Mark 3 to get to them.

Doesn't Bones light up?

I have seen it.
I was just trying to ascertain what he was wanting to achieve from stripping the MKIII construction set to light up Bones.
I gather he wants the unplated arm sections with all the fiber optics/wires running through it and out of the torso section.

I had planned to break Bones in half and put all of the electronics from the Mark 3 Construction set into Bones but there are to integrated into the Mark 3 for me to even try it.

The plan was to have the upper body hanging from the over head hoist and the pelvis and legs on the mobile base plate.

Today I decided to hang the mark 3 from the hoist and it looks pretty good so I may just go with what I have and not worry about having a repeated armor

Last edited:

Does the MK III body have any screws holding it together or is it glued?

You could snip the cluster of wires of circuit boards where it ends under the ribcage and transplant it up into Bones' ribcage (if it can be separated from the hips). The left palm repulsor could be pulled out and snipped also but not sure where this would go on Bones arm.

Alternatively you could run your own wires and add some small LEDs here and there.

Does the MK III body have any screws holding it together or is it glued?

You could snip the cluster of wires of circuit boards where it ends under the ribcage and transplant it up into Bones' ribcage (if it can be separated from the hips). The left palm repulsor could be pulled out and snipped also but not sure where this would go on Bones arm.

Alternatively you could run your own wires and add some small LEDs here and there.

I could pretty much achieve the same look with Bones and just do a full custom mod, but the wife loves that way this looks so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

I want to use a HPP HOA control panel as a power supply for the figure and the base but I'm having trouble finding a cheap unit, I may have to just pay full price to get one.

I also decided to remove the wheels from the base, it keep rolling round and I think it looks better without them

Here is the Mark 3 Hanging from the hoist

Are you getting the new Mk III Diecast? Since the whole thing disassembles to change the midsection, you might be able to use the pelvis and legs for the display. Just a thought. You seem quite capable of creating and customizing, you might be able to dress the lower section to match the top.
Ryan

Back