Hot Toys - Iron Man 2:Mark IV Limited Edition spec

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it just depends. I don't think it's right to photoshop something to look way better than it does (I think Hasbro crosses this line with the way they heavily photoshop some of their promo pics) but there's a big difference between that and what HT seem to be doing.

If Photoshop is just used to show a representation of how something is supposed to work (the type of product is inconsequential) - an expression of a feature that cannot be show on a prototype, for instance - this is not "false" advertising. There is certainly no intent of bamboozling the customer. Looking at the missiles, it's possible they're ability to snap on requires them to be made out of more pliable plastic than the proto affords. So it has to be Photoshopped on. For the chest, it's possible that this feature isn't even built into the proto. I'm not saying thats' the case, it's just possible.

Now if people get the figure and it looks much worse than the proto or it's completely different (especially in a negative way)... that's a problem.

I don't agree. Just because Hasbro uses photoshop on a product that is several orders of magnitude lower on the price and quality scale, I treat what HT is doing the same way. With HT's track record lately with the Battle Damaged Mark III and DX Batman, I'm not willing to hedge bets on their choice to manipulate an official photo to present some sort of assurance that the final figure will look like that.

HT has done this before recently. The first pic released by HT for the Clash of the Titans Perseus figure showed the figure having a seamless neck on the Perseus headsculpt, but the final figure shown in the official specs has an obvious cut-line at the base of the head.

24108_381804492343_58690437343_4231924_2703315_n.jpg

That was the preview pic, now what they're doing is beginning to bleed into official pics.

And then there's this, just recently posted by OMG:

HT hide the switch with camera angle in the official pics and photoshop the JP ver.
mark4-07-big.jpg

switch on arms for the display proto:
20100417_77ba7c79612a42900c82ZmDm6hTLWg9U.jpg

yeah, the above examples are not cool. but in the case of the mark iv images, they did put out a disclaimer saying it's a fake. but what's the bat dx problem you mentioned? was there any photoshoping with the bat promo pics as well? wasnt aware of that. i'm curious.

jeeze I can't understand the complaints. I always thought mark 3 was too skinny, and this may be a bit too, but good lord overall it looks amazing! even though its so similar to mark 3, i will have to get this.

jeeze I can't understand the complaints. I always thought mark 3 was too skinny, and this may be a bit too, but good lord overall it looks amazing! even though its so similar to mark 3, i will have to get this.

ya. agreed! too bad, my pocket not allowing me to have all of them.
i have IMBD at hand. waiting mech test tony + WM now.
Probably add IMMV or IMMVI(either 1 only)
sigh...i'm a selective/choosy collector.

https://the-sun.on.cc/cnt/lifestyle/20100419/00481_005.html

:lol Hot Toys are so nonchalant They have no problem telling us up front exactly what they want :monkey5 Wheres the romance ? :rolleyes: These companies today only care about that one thing, I liked to be charmed a little :monkey2 :duh

Heres a Google translation of the Magazine interview:

Next week's release of "Iron Man Ⅱ", when the drainage golden eggs generous Hot Toys did not lose the opportunity to make money, following the earlier maiden War Machine, then the two central role for the Iron Man and Whiplash produced 12 -inch Figure, carved by the head teacher Kojun and color to create division JC.Hong cooperation. Stereotype about saying, "The early morning to buy to enjoy." DX version of the future, even knowing that, should obediently give me the money!

Mark IV thinner Find Friends

HT had worked part one out of six movies Iron Man, the production of Episode II's Mark Ⅳ, vendors to keep improving, so except the palms, soles of the feet follow the old mold, the whole re-ferrite produced almost 100%. The pilot can see, Mark Ⅳ's armor is more than ever, each version of the current line, close, with the full movie version, but there are small visual illusion of a code, but fortunately ABS material treated by baking paint, metallic Utah at. Details, back in the Air Flaps and the instep of the Air Brake use both pieces of metal etching, a high degree of detail, plus belly pieces composed by the pieces of plastic, so that Figure can "belly pack" put Fushi, flexibility is better than before .

Bereavement care safety whip

There are those evil, the play villains in Russia Tall guy scientists Whiplash, the Chinese translation of the "Funeral whip", with regard to electric whip as a weapon, film special effects can help, dragon had to, but how to become the expression of Figure? Teachers tried to use the prototype fiber optic or other light material, but to prevent leakage and take into account the flexibility, the final decision made with soft Bianshen and lightning, GOD poor flavor, but at least play it safe. To make up for these deficiencies, HT in the first carving and tattoos are especially hard, the former only after approval by three times, and to do multi-soft hair, so like enough actor Mickey Rourke; which improved over the printing technology used, color can be slightly exudation, texture is more like real tattoos.

Sounds like they tired to make the whips light up but it was too fragile or something :(

If they had used fibre optics they would have been swamped with bad feedback. Fibre optics need to be kept as straight as possible, with gradual curves. Therefore it wouldn't have replicated the staggered electrical whips, and kinks, due to posing, would have rendered them useless.

For anyone who cares here’s my two cents:

I see the logic in JonWes’s post but I think he has based his opinions on a false premise – he has made the comparison between Hot Toys and a toy company. It is not and its business model has to reflect that.

Hot Toys product will not be on the shelves on opening weekend, you will not walk out of the theatre (cinema) and into Toys R Us and pick up a Hot Toys figure based on the movie you’ve just seen. These are high end, high cost collectibles and therefore they are targeted at a specific market – high end collectors. The primary market for this is not trying to sell 10 million units to 10 million people who loved the movie for the weekend: they are trying to sell a few thousand units to a few thousand people who love the movie their whole lives. The secondary market is those who, whether or not they love the property (movie or video game) love Hot Toys and love the quality of the figures. In this market the opening weekend buzz is of far less importance – what matters is quality and above all relationship between the manufacturer and the customer.

Example – the Leonidas figure was trailed some 18 months after 300 had hit the cinemas – and 9 months after the DVD / BluRay release. This was not capitalising on a passing fancy for the film but seeing that the property had a long lasting appeal and in particular that the character had a resonance which would ensure a market for the figure.

So to say that the opinion of those who care enough to visit the Facebook page or to post either here or on other boards is of less importance is to Hot Toys is in my opinion to mistake the business model employed here. Time and time again they have demonstrated this by responding to concerns raised about the accuracy of their product by those who post here.

So to say that the posts here are of little importance I believe misunderstands the market in which Hot Toys exist. If the relationship between producer and consumer is damaged – either by the customer perceiving that the company are deliberately ‘double dipping’ (as many seem to feel about the BD MKIII) or because the introduction of photoshopped elements in official pre-release photos suggests dishonesty, as some of the posters here feel – then the market can dry up like thin spit on a hot plate. In short if those here don’t like it, don’t do it.

That’s my view on things as they stand – since I’ve got into this here’s what I think from here on in.

Judging the success of a movie is almost impossible – look how often the studios themselves, with their years of experience and millions of dollars at stake, get it wrong: Waterworld, Batman & Robin, X Men 3 to name a few. So betting on an unproven movie is risky, especially when your sales depend not just on bums on seats but on a longer term investment in the property. Hot Toys have been stung before on this – The Spirit comes screaming to mind; a film which should have been a sure-fire hit, based on an existing property with its own oh-so-cool fan base, directed by the man behind Sin City and 300 and starring Sam Jackson, Scarlett Johnassen and the worlds best dressed super-hero. What could possibly go wrong?

There are movies on which the risk is reduced. For my money the next Nolan/Bale Batman film is the safest investment anywhere outside arms manufacture (not saying it’s right, just that it is). Similarly the success of both the film Iron Man and the associated merchandise is as close to a guarantee of a market for the sequel as you can get.

But beyond these few exceptions chasing the box office is a risk Hot Toys don’t need to take. There are dozens of properties with the kind of cult appeal I am talking about just itching to be given the gold standard treatment: properties with a loyal and rabid fan base that will guarantee that your limited supply will be sucked dry. Again Hot Toys know this – their Brando, Dean and Godfather figures demonstrate it, as does their first Michael Jackson figure, albeit that the more recent editions have benefited from the rehabilitation that comes with a death.

So let me suggest a couple – for anyone who’s still reading this increasingly rambling post. If Hot Toys were to announce the following ranges, rate on a scale from “Uh?” to “OMG! MUST HAVE!”:
Blade Runner. Let’s say, to kick off with, Deckard, Gaff and a Tumbler sized Spinner.
Big Trouble in Little China.
Firefly.
ST: TNG (yes I know it’s been done elsewhere, I’m talking the Hot Toys treatment)

See what I mean?

Wow. This figure looks amazing to my eyes. Regarding the concerns about the figure's lack of bulk compared to certain promo shots, is it possible its just a matter of photo angles and lighting? I guess we'll have a better idea when the film is out and we see more of Mark IV in action. It seems as per Stark's designs that the armors are gradually getting slimmer, sleeker, and more streamlined anyway. Even in the comics it seems a more "form-fitting" armor is what appeals to most now. That said, I also like the less bulky armors.

In any case, I only have the original Mark III and this blows it completely out of the water. I've already pre-ordered WM, and was only planning on ever getting Mark V (I think it's super cool) and Mark VI when they eventually (and inevitably) are released. Originally, I thought Mark IV was too close to III to warrant the purchase, but consider my mind changed.

Does anyone know when www.sideshowtoy.com will have this up for pre-order?

This thread is borderlining ridiculous. The reality is simple. People should complain about Hot Toys, why? Because we know that folks over at HT do lurk the boards and a lot of the critics have been constructive showing what can be improved which is a move in the right direction even if nothing happens. Companies need to be aware that when they don't give fans what they want we'll tell them about it. Now for that ol' reality, they could give a ____ what three or four or even forty diehards are toy forum enthusiasts think. Sideshow has even come in here and said at one time that Toy Forum customers make up roughly 3% of the buying population which the other 97% simply buying because it looks cool. With the Iron Man movie in full swing and publications like Wizard, ToyFare and other magazines showing off these including things like the Marvel webpages and newsletter showing these off, they'll get the exposure, they'll sell and so in reality what does HT have to gain in changing it? Let them know whats wrong but be prepared to accept what we are given and anything beyond that is talking for the sake of talking. Not to mention we all know that HT's M.O. is to change things up until the last minute as they've done in the past.

Sideshow will be ordering these on Thursday and I will be ordering because despite the thin torso or whatever other laundry list of issues there are with it, I think its ____ing fantastic and that is all that matters really because it'll be on my shelf.

I agree, it's well worth the time to voice concerns because HT listens. I honestly think HT cares a lot about their product and aren't just out to make money. The reason they listen to the obsessive detail oriented people here and on other forums is not to make those people happy but to make the product better.

They don't need to make those people happy to make money.

For anyone who cares here’s my two cents:

I see the logic in JonWes’s post but I think he has based his opinions on a false premise – he has made the comparison between Hot Toys and a toy company. It is not and its business model has to reflect that.

Actually, I wasn't. I'm not comparing it to any specific toy company or toy companies in general. I'm talking about marketing merchandise around movies in general. That's a lot more than just toy companies.

Hot Toys product will not be on the shelves on opening weekend, you will not walk out of the theatre (cinema) and into Toys R Us and pick up a Hot Toys figure based on the movie you’ve just seen.

This is my point! Hot Toys doesn't have that option! It's a different market. The timing is different. But it doesn't hurt them to try to get in there while the irons are hot to drum up some business!

So to say that the opinion of those who care enough to visit the Facebook page or to post either here or on other boards is of less importance is to Hot Toys is in my opinion to mistake the business model employed here. Time and time again they have demonstrated this by responding to concerns raised about the accuracy of their product by those who post here.

I certainly didn't say they were less important. They just aren't the end all and be all. Obviously Hot Toys cares about their core customer base as they should.

But beyond these few exceptions chasing the box office is a risk Hot Toys don’t need to take.

I don't think they are. They aren't rushing their actual product out the door. They're just showing pictures early. What is the danger in this? The hardcore customer you say is their base will be well aware of changes made down the road if any are needed. The less hardcore customer probably won't care as much.

I honestly don't see the problem.

The bottom line is, people on message boards almost NEVER represent the total customer base well (although they always like to think they do!). They can be a useful resource but they will never be a great sampling of the general consumer. Even in a relatively small niche market. Also, it's not like message boards usually have a consensus! :)

If the reason Hot Toys is getting stuff out there before some people deem "they are ready" because they want to capitalize on the exposure the movie will bring (and again, this is only my theory!), it's because they want to EXPAND THEIR CUSTOMER BASE. This is smart business. They can't just cater to only a dedicated few and grow as a company. They have to expand. That doesn't mean ignore the core customer, it just means taking opportunities to reach out. I'm just giving my opinion as someone who actually works in Marketing. And the market my company targets isn't all that different than Hot Toys/Sideshows. It's a small niche market with expensive products and a passionate customer base who fills forums up with their thoughts. LOL.

Anyway, this is my last post on this. If people want to believe it or not, I don't honestly care... I just want this cool figure. :)

IM2_MarkIV_PR10.jpg

Last edited:
When do you think it'll be out? late Q3? mid? knowing Hot Toys delays which I'm not bothered about.

Back