Hot Toys Interview with Howard Chan 2017 Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome........

I got nothing....few projects killed, 66 Joker and Wolf Predator on their way sometime because prototypes done or being worked. Everything else whaaa whaaa whaaa....

Personally, I gave up on HT (too many Iron Man and SW with nothing in between). I sold my collection and moved on to 1/3 scale statues. If they continue to mess with their fans, a lot more people will end up doing the same.

Yeah i got to admit im getting close to the point of giving up on them too. Theres still 1 or 2 licenses that might do something for me such as the BBTF Delorean version 2 which i'm still waiting for news on and maybe the BVS Batmobile but to honest it's quite clear and has been for some time that hot toys priorities don't lie with either.

I understand the answer about Alien and Predator as, the only remake they're doing is Wolf - the rest are from Covenant (2017) and the new Predator (2018)... so no remakes of marines, dog Alien, Predalien, Big Chap and so forth. Anyone reads it differently?

I don't recall his past interviews as being so cryptic or completely bereft of information. It must have driven the interviewer nuts, especially if he's a collector.

Basically it's going to be major characters from Star Wars OT and NT, Marvel Cinematic/Iron Man and DC Cinematic/Batman 95% of the time because those are the big sellers. Pirates of the Caribbean will probably get 2-3 figures. Covenant might generate some new figures or it might be another Prometheus nonstarter. Expecting the Matrix, Rocky or Rambo is pretty much a pipe dream. I don't know if HT even has those licenses any more. If so why they keep them. I thought that Star Ace had the DC TV license, so that may have been a burned question as well.

Maybe the interviewer would have gotten more concrete information if the questions had been based more on HT's reality.

On the encouraging/discouraging sides
-- '66 Joker seems to still be in the works, but the Batmobile is stalled if not dead
-- Catwoman looks to be coming
-- Never enough Ledger Jokers
-- Yellowjacket is trapped in development hell despite the prototype. Also disappointed Power Loader Ripley is languishing. Those were the two I was most interested in, although Cain would also be cool at the right price.
-- Nothing on Lando, Tarkin, Ep VII Poe Dameron, RO Cassian Andor (but at least Jedi Luke, Hoth Leia and Royal Guard made the cut)
-- It will probably be 5+ years before any PT figures see the light of day

Actually, none of this is confirmed tbh. It could be cancelled or on hold any moment. Look what happened to 1/4 Keaton batman.

Interviews like this is pretty pointless.

I saw this posted around the forum in various threads so had to come here to check if it was legit.

Actually thought it was a spoof. :lol Absolute waste of time.

:lecture:exactly:

I understand that if a figure bombs the line it is from struggles but wow that was cryptic. Few actual answers and lots of questions not asked

Lone Ranger is pretty much dead. So many answers just too vague.

I am curious about Metal Gear Solid V though. I thought it was announced they got a license at same time with BvS and Suicide Squad but nothing until now.

Considering we hardly ever hear from him at all anymore I considered these answers decidedly unvague for Hot Toys. :lol

I mean I still take it all with a grain of salt based on past experience but this was better than normal from them.

Thing I'm most interested in is the Linda Carter comment. Because we know Chan does go after pet projects (like all those Johnny Depp figures). And frankly, that's the only version of Wonder Woman I want on the shelf at this moment in time. And I guess fans of the AvP movies have something to be excited about. . .but that ain't me. Otherwise, vague and non-committal. Sounds like '66 Joker is still being planned, but. . .maybe not?

Curious if they do Linda Carter, will HT resculpt the waist to make way for the 80”s wide waist/big panties and adding the sheer nude hose!!
I won’t lie Linda Carter WW made things move down there when I was a boy!!! :monkey5

I'm sorry but at least half of those questions were just not good questions. My take-aways trying to read between the lines:

1) New Alien and Predator figures coming for the new upcoming movies, probably nothing more (he says "2017 and 2018 versions instead")
2) Hover Delorean and Rey's Speeder are probably assigned to the same fate as the two Batmobiles (would it really have been so hard to ask about those as well in one question all about vehicles?)
3) Another Ledger Joker is pretty much guaranteed (we all should have known this already)
4) Anakin and prequel figures are pretty much guaranteed (we all should have known this already, wasted question)
5) Unless something has changed, Star Ace has all the DC TV licenses (he laughed because he assumed the interviewer already knew that)

I think it would have been much better if not all the questions had been Yes/No questions. Like what kinds of issues (manufacturing, licensing, low profit projections?) are they running into that keep making bigger figures/vehicles get delayed or canceled, and are they planning on scaling back their vehicle offerings? What are the challenges of making/selling figures of older properties in today's market? What specific innovations are they trying to tackle or working on--better rooted hair, higher percentages of die cast in their Iron Man figures, etc? What is his reaction/response to collectors who get upset when HT shows a figure or vehicle that eventually gets cancelled? How do they decide the print runs for figures? How do they decide what older figures to rerelease as 2.0 or 3.0 versions?

Last edited:
"Will Hot Toys plan on making any figure from Star Wars Episodes 1-6?"

What an utterly stupid question. They should have asked if we're getting more RO! :banghead

Hey Hot Toys are you making any more Iron Man or Batman figures??

Hey Hot Toys are you making any more Iron Man or Batman figures??

Howard Chan:"if the wind blows from the east and a bird sets on the post near the fence of your neighbors' house, then the eventuality of a tin can wearing alcoholic and schizophrenic (k)night man are potentially in the making, little grasshopper!";)

Back