Hot Toys Interview with Howard Chan 2017 Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What source?

tb0022_blk_tea-t5_text_1024x1024.jpg

It's really quite strange knowing that most collectors/collections revolve around sets and completing sets. Hot Toys does just the opposite. They make partial sets. I can think of only one set they completed, Avengers. Even Avengers AoU never saw the release of the Ultron drone.
The Avengers lines are pretty much completed. How many people are really gonna buy Ultron drone anyway? HT is in the business to make money, not to lose money.

I'm done with Avengers line though, having completed both AoU and Civil War. I'm not interested in any new Avengers figures.

The Avengers lines are pretty much completed. How many people are really gonna buy Ultron drone anyway? HT is in the business to make money, not to lose money.

Your argument holds no water. You think your rhetorical question holds weight? It doesn't. The fact still remains they never completed the line...and the drone was a part of that line that some fans wanted. Stating the obvious, "HT is in business to make money, blah blah blah," doesn't mean they shouldn't find creative ways to get these teased figures to the fans. I can think of two ways to go about it that could have generated additional sales. 1. Make it an exclusive. 2. Sell it with Ultron in a deluxe set with two heads, red & blue. Sell the single with the blue head only for army builders.

The demand wasn't there for Ultron drone. Heck, Ultron Prime is still available, and could be had under retail. I bought a brand new Ultron Prime for $220 shipped ($155 below MSRP before shipping). Yes, it is a bad business practice for Hot Toys to tease some figures and never made them for the fans. However, you can't argue that Ultron drone would be profitable. LOL HT know that they rather make more Ironman figures, and practically print money.

I think the popularity of that figure, or lack therefore, was more due to pricing and character design than anything else. The Drone looked more like classic comic Ultron and that alone would have boosted sales...probably for Ultron too.

Back