Hot Toys Holiday Special Boba Fett

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Hot Toys......No Barbossa .....no Headless Horseman.....No Jedi Luke......but ......this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will agree...YES. There are way more deserving figures... sticking with SW, Krennic, Cassian, Tarkin. But it's because this is an easy one...it's the same mould. I get the hate, to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah.....Tarkin.....

Its lazy and unneeded addition to a character who's popularity I never understood. But always happy for those who collect mutiple versions of their favorites. Fett might get to be like Iron Man someday...

Oh yeah.....Tarkin.....

Its lazy and unneeded addition to a character who's popularity I never understood. But always happy for those who collect mutiple versions of their favorites. Fett might get to be like Iron Man someday...

Now THAT would have been a great Celebration reveal.

Awesome! Never bought the HT Fett, but I do have the SSC Fett, this will make a nice little accompanying piece that checks off two boxes at once. Makes me wish I had bought the white Boba from SSC when I had the chance.

To which I said, why bother doing it at all? Given that OT releases have slowed over the last year, you wonder if it is good business practice to take up a release slot for a figure that will not be a huge seller. It's just lazy, and to me there's no excitement there. Years ago I think Hasbro did a similar repaint. If they're going to reuse the moulds then at least use them in a way that's genuinely surprising like porcelain stormtrooper was. Union Jack Fett, or Buzz Lightyear deco Fett or Marvel Art Fett - at least those would make you sit up. This is boring and predictable IMHO - but please don't be offended by me if you love the idea of this, it's just my twopennysworth.

Well, here's the thing. "OT releases have slowed over the last year." Ok, that's true... there could be some licensing holdups behind specific characters that LF/Disney doesn't have cart blanche to do with as they please (Tarkin and Leia spring to mind: they had to seek permission from families to CG the characters in the new films). Or, perhaps HT just figures there's no real rush, given that the films have been out for forty years already. They don't exactly need to move to capitalize on release hype. Star Wars OT figure hype is eternal. They know they have the license and they know you're going to be here whenever they get around to putting out a figure.

But to answer your question ("Why bother doing it at all?"), here's my hypothesis: Because new figures from scratch take lots of time. Sculpting, prototyping, resculpting, figuring out paint colors and paint application, designing packaging, ordering materials, instructing staff to paint and assemble everything. SO... chances are, HT hits lulls in their schedule while they're prepping new figures, that they wouldn't have anything to send to the factories/painters. And rather than tell all of their employees "Hey, go home for a week, we don't have anything for you to do at the moment," they work in repaints of existing figures.

They already have all of the molds, they already have the packaging (albeit they make new art). They just come up with the new paint scheme, and *boom* the factory can be churning out product with a shorter turnaround time, bringing in some profit while higher up the food chain they continue to work on bringing new figures to production.

So in that regard, HS Fett may not be "stealing a release slot" so much as "filling in some space where there might otherwise BE no release."

As for why they would do this repaint instead of something like another porcelain china pattern... I'd like to think there is even LESS of a market for that eyesore than there would be for this figure XD But who knows, maybe it was a big hit.

The hands of this figure should only have 4 fingers each like in the HS cartoon...

People are arguing that it's ridiculous to say that the armor is different in a Star Wars thread?! Hot Toys has made THREE different Stormtrooper molds now (including the upcoming ROTJ trooper) there is obviously a market for this stuff. You could argue the Sandtrooper is only a different head and shins, but the ROTJ trooper is all new. Why do this? Because it's s Star Wars and people DO notice. I'm with Wor-Gar, if you're going to do this, do it right. You could change the chest armor and the boots and still keep 95% percent of the figure just a repaint. This is Boba Fett, people are going to buy it.

You could change the chest armor and the boots and still keep 95% percent of the figure just a repaint.

Aside from the obvious colour differences, the biggest key pieces to HS Fett are the different shape to the chest pieces, the different gauntlets, the taller boots, the side-arm and holster and his "rifle."

My Hasbro HS Fett is one of my favourite 3.75" figures. I like that Hasbro sculpted new gauntlets, and I like that they turned the rifle into more of a cattle prod type weapon but it is mostly just a straight repaint. I can see why HT are doing what amounts to just a quick repaint, but the fact that that's all it is is kind of a turn off. If they went the extra mile and gave us uniquely sculpted parts I'd be more likely to buy one, but as it stands, I could easily just repaint a ROTJ fett myself. And if I bought this HS Fett I would still end up making the unique parts myself, as I wouldn't be able to not correct the "mistakes." At that point, why am I really buying this thing anyway?

I'm with whoever said they should just do something along the lines of the porcelain trooper, and give people a unique paint job or something. Something that frees them from the constraints of hitting a certain mark as far as accuracy if you just want a quick repaint. I'm sure they could think of something that would make an interesting alternate colour scheme Boba that people would buy in the same capacity as HS Fett, as I doubt many people would be clamouring for a HS Fett anyway.

Or, since they went to the trouble of making the prod and side-arm/holster accessories they could have just as easily painted the thing in the all-white proto scheme and made the couple of weapons he had and the unique flame unit on his left gauntlet and called it a day. Would have taken about the same amount of R&D and they would have had a quick repaint that was closer to source than their HS Fett.

I'll just be waiting on an HT McQuarrie Fett.

I understand the desire for screen accuracy, but in this case it would mean Fett would be a stand alone figure lacking the realism of other sixth figures.

Maybe that's a bad thing, from a certain point of view.

I had (probably still have) the 3 3/4" version and never really considered it was was more detailed than the source material. It was just a neat variation from a very strange broadcast!

1n8fok.jpg

I don't think when people say they want it to be more accurate they mean they want it tool look like the cartoon, they want it to look as if it represents a realistic version of the cartoon design. Sideshow used to do this all the time with Clone Wars cartoon figures. Fett looked different in the Holiday Special, and not just because it was in a goofy animated style.

I don't think when people say they want it to be more accurate they mean they want it tool look like the cartoon, they want it to look as if it represents a realistic version of the cartoon design. Sideshow used to do this all the time with Clone Wars cartoon figures. Fett looked different in the Holiday Special, and not just because it was in a goofy animated style.

Gentle Giant seem to have done two versions.

One, like HT, that they added erroneous detail to:

gentlegiant_animated-maquette-holiday-special.jpg

And a more cartoon 'authentic' version:

gentle-giant-holiday-special-boba-fett.jpg

Always loved the Boba Fett debut cartoon from the Holiday Special. No doubt this will be an immediate pre-order.

Back