Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just described at least 50% of the reason NRD are apparently here to stay at SSC :mad: but it's a losing proposition. It's just going to take them an annoyingly long time to discover that all they are accomplishing is driving customers into the waiting arms of BBTS (great shipping deals), and Alter Ego (reward points).

Except for the occasional exclusive, I've never looked back in my exodus from Sideshow.

They will figure it out.....eventually. But it will take the realization that orders are down, and BBTS/AE are having record years.

They won't ever change because most figures sell out anyway. All they lose is the kind of customers they most likely don't want to deal with anyway.

Good points. I'll quickly add that people taking advantage of SS's stated ordering/cancellation policy are not being "irresponsible", at least not necessarily so. If SS is going to allow the practice of easy cancellation, then they'll have to own it. But there's little doubt that this was the lead in to the NRDs. Sideshow wants every last one of their customers. They had an issue with more use of their cancellation policy than they expected, so they modified the model.

The other point is that since SS is a distributor and not the manufacturer, the margin they (and anyone else who isn't Howard) have to work with is probably thinner than we might think. So the model of offering Rewards and saturating the market with discount codes adds excitement to their program others have a hard time matching. The offset is all of the items that put us off some. For instance I'm convinced that they make up some margin in the shipping "and handling" category.

But for some, SS's approach of allowing you to essentially build your own discount on the items you want most is certainly pleasing enough for some to stay home with the leader. The NDRs are likely instrumental in allowing SS to go with that approach. I have no problem with that choice.

Oh well. The good news is that we have a few models to choose from now, so make your choice.

Great discussion guys, appreciate the input. For my part, ill leave it here.

Can't wait to see the GMT production figure!

Last edited:
Ordered Tarkin earlier this morning. Had a $20 coupon from Sideshow that was going to expire on Thursday so figured might as well put it to use.

I rather pay most of the money up front for these figures so it's one less thing to think. As for your excuse for cancelling. I don't buy it. For the most part hot toys matches or surpasses their proto figures. The few times they don't causing people to cancel would not be enough to force Sideshow into requesting NRD. No that was caused by irresponsible people ordering then cancelling in too large a number. Of course the irresponsible people will lie about how often they really cancel and make excuses as to their reasons.

I feel the same. I prefer to pay up front and not have to think about payment when it releases.

I see people taking advantage of BBTS not charging a NRD. Placing orders for things they aren't sure about just because they know they can cancel without penalty. I'm sure BBTS keeps an eye on repeat offenders though.

It doesn't seem like BBTS has much of a problem though. A lot of figures on pre-order sell out so they must not order in large numbers for most figures.

They are ordering how many they get for pre-order windows basically now. Whatever comes from cancellations they will put as in stock till it sells through it seems. Many shops have now talent this way of going about it now. The force awakens and some of the Marvel lines have burned the distributors/dealers and they need to control the inventory better. Pre-order windows is one way to get a safe measure of units needed to meet the demand.

I'm really hoping that this figure sells better than expectations. I wonder if Hot Toys is going to use this figure to test the waters for future Officer figures like Veers, Ozzel and Piett.

I hope so too!
I really don't know the number of collectors who are hard up for officer figures like Tarkin. I'm guessing the majority of collectors want troops and hero characters or saber wielding figures. Then again I'm pretty new to this 1/6 hobby.
These are pricey chunks of articulated plastic not the 3.75" Kenner figs that those who have collected purchase every available character. Could anyone chime in on their perspective on this?
I'm in the same boat as wanting some officers. Just wanting to know if that's how the majority of the collectors here feel.

I hope so too!
I really don't know the number of collectors who are hard up for officer figures like Tarkin. I'm guessing the majority of collectors want troops and hero characters or saber wielding figures. Then again I'm pretty new to this 1/6 hobby.
These are pricey chunks of articulated plastic not the 3.75" Kenner figs that those who have collected purchase every available character. Could anyone chime in on their perspective on this?
I'm in the same boat as wanting some officers. Just wanting to know if that's how the majority of the collectors here feel.

Your analysis is sound, I am kind of new to collecting as well (two years now). I was always a big fan of the OT but the characters that caught my eye were the key villains (Vader, Boba Fett, etc). In hind sight Tarkin was a key character in the first Star Wars but not the overall OT since he died in episode IV. As a big fan but not as a collector, the character Tarkin didn't even register to me as a mememorable character. The only reason I have preordered him is the great sculpt and fitting him with the rest of my collection. If I could have only one Hot Toy character it would be Vader. I would never buy a solo Tarkin. Tarkin is only a buy (a tentative one at that for me) to become part of the collection.

Your analysis is sound, I am kind of new to collecting as well (two years now). I was always a big fan of the OT but the characters that caught my eye were the key villains (Vader, Boba Fett, etc). In hind sight Tarkin was a key character in the first Star Wars but not the overall OT since he died in episode IV. As a big fan but not as a collector, the character Tarkin didn't even register to me as a mememorable character. The only reason I have preordered him is the great sculpt and fitting him with the rest of my collection. If I could have only one Hot Toy character it would be Vader. I would never buy a solo Tarkin. Tarkin is only a buy (a tentative one at that for me) to become part of the collection.

It was his "rebirth" in RO (and to a much lesser degree the death of CF, him being known for the scene with Leia) that really bought Tarkin back in a major way for me. I don't recall him making much of an impression in ANH when I was a kid (mostly seen in grey rooms arguing with old guys will do that) but the RO characterization was done really well and shifted Tarkin up the list.

I'm just bummed that we aren't getting a Krennic. My ANH Vader is going to be paired in the Antilles choke scene, so I would have liked to have paired Tarkin with Krennic.

It's true though abut price - I think Sideshow's Piett fig was maybe $70-90. Tarkin should have been $180. With even basic Imp officer figs solidly above $220 (when paired with mostly useless accessories to justify the price) you really have to pause. Veers - with armor - would be the only other Imperial I'd fork over that kind of money for.

Interested to see how the sales of Tarkin go. My guess he's about as niche as you can get, but maybe they produce way less and it'll be a $400 fig in 3 years.

Due to my PO for that Takin-Vader set, just re-watched the OT in last weekend :lol. Tarkin just die too... fast though ...throughout the 2hours length movie .

Last edited:
I hope so too!
Agreed people aren't going to buy these like hasbro figures but I'm mad enough to want veers and maybe some others but I'm sensible enough to know that there ain't a massive number who will land out £200+ each

I'm just bummed that we aren't getting a Krennic. My ANH Vader is going to be paired in the Antilles choke scene, so I would have liked to have paired Tarkin with Krennic.

I also wish we were getting a Krennic, but I plan on displaying Tarkin with Vader, the Emperor, and a pair of Royal Guards. Sort of a meeting of Imperial leadership, because I figure Tarkin met with the Emperor personally off screen. If Sideshow would do a Thrawn 2.0, I'd throw him in there too.

Agreed people aren't going to buy these like hasbro figures but I'm mad enough to want veers and maybe some others but I'm sensible enough to know that there ain't a massive number who will land out £200+ each

I agree. I definitely can't see there being a run on officers. But, I'm really hoping for a Veers that can double as an AT-AT Commander figure, and a generic Imperial Officer in Black Uniform.

Who would have thought they'd do a Death Star Trooper or Gunner? So why not Veers? Or almost any random Imperial. As long as it comes with an accessory that justifies $200+ price tag and has some reusable elements.

Who would have thought they'd do a Death Star Trooper or Gunner? So why not Veers? Or almost any random Imperial. As long as it comes with an accessory that justifies $200+ price tag and has some reusable elements.

Exactly. I was so happy to see the Death Star Trooper, and while I wasn't looking for a Death Star Gunner, I'm sold. It seems to me that Hot Toys is really into troopers especially since they've yet to do any aliens. But I do think the chances of Veers or a random Imperial officer will depend on how well Tarkin sells.

Back