Hot Toys getting kinda stale?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinister

Super Freak
Reaction score
It seems like they're stuck on Iron Man/Avengers, Terminator, and Batman. Don't get me wrong; I love my HT Iron Man figures and Batman figures. Keaton version is awesome. I don't have any Terminator figures, but I think HT did most of them pretty well.

But if you visit the "Hot Toys Community" and "Hot Toys Collectors" FB pages - that's all everyone's talking about.

They better be careful - Enterbay is diversifying - and also producing IM, Terminator, and Batman now. Where are the new lines HT? Other than Star Wars.

SSF member Jack Bauer said it over 6 months' ago here, but at that stage I still thought HT had enough in the works outside of the Avengers/IM/Batman/Predator to keep me interested. I was wrong. Hot Toys is all yawn these days as far as my interests go.

I forgot to include the Predator line in my list. That's getting done to death too.

They better be careful - Enterbay is diversifying - and also producing IM, Terminator, and Batman now. Where are the new lines HT? Other than Star Wars.

Enterbay has my wild card vote at the moment. They have my eyebrows peaked high...

But the truth is is that they are only an underdog because hot toys is king, they need to go there because they don't dominate the mass market like hot toys does.

Avengers is clearly going to be an absolute turd, but a turd that had dollar signs all over it the second iron man was a hit. It's just a big money generating machine and hot toys is along for the ride. Enterbay can have a piece of the pie in some regards like with batman, but if they are smart they will secure the right customers in the rest of the market.

Scarface and Elvis have built in fan bases and huge marketing potential but there is nothing of the moment when it comes to them. Leon was a bit more of a head scratcher but of enterbay continues to seek out these corner pockets while hot toys is busy playing in the big arenas both companies can be ultra successful and at the end of the day,us the consumer are the ones who win!

What must they be careful of?

It's rare these days that I see anything from HT that interests me personally, but I'm certain that what they are releasing is doing well for them as a company. While their output may not interest me, I don't think that means they're going to face trouble any time soon. They may not have the 'prestige' anymore or be the 'fan favourite' but I don't think that sort of thing is going to ruin them financially or anything like that.

The only negative I can really envision is that their sculptors/crew get bored with the limited liscences and go elsewhere. Other than that, what really do they have to fear?

SSF member Jack Bauer said it over 6 months' ago here, but at that stage I still thought HT had enough in the works outside of the Avengers/IM/Batman/Predator to keep me interested. I was wrong. Hot Toys is all yawn these days as far as my interests go.

I feel like the increase in price and the releasing of too many figures has made a lot of people just not care. Also, the releasing of characters that people didn't want in the first place but Hot Toys still felt they should make them. I got rid of most of my HT figures and just kept one or two, pretty much done with HT

They never finished the Terminator lines. They left out some really obvious potential figures that are very much in demand by hardcore and casual fans alike. That HT are going back to that is a good thing. The other stuff is stuff that happens to be very current, of course they're going to make Avengers figures. 'WTF' would abound if they didn't pick up that license.

It seems like they're stuck on Iron Man/Avengers, Terminator, and Batman. Don't get me wrong; I love my HT Iron Man figures and Batman figures. Keaton version is awesome. I don't have any Terminator figures, but I think HT did most of them pretty well.

But if you visit the "Hot Toys Community" and "Hot Toys Collectors" FB pages - that's all everyone's talking about.

Hot Toys are agrophobic, they're afraid to stray from their comfort zone, they just don't take any real risks to make something succesful anymore, they'll make one or two new characters from a new line, stop there disappoint plenty of hopeful customers and go back to remaking the same characters from the same franchises for the same customers again, it's boring and stagnant.

I'll get my delayed orders from last year and one or two original figures a year if they make that many and take the bulk of my 1/6 hobbyism to other companies.

Mr. Ecko said it best...

green-recycle-symbol-hiLOL.png

They never finished the Terminator lines. They left out some really obvious potential figures that are very much in demand by hardcore and casual fans alike.

While they didn't do all the characters, there's no shortage of figures from that franchise

Last edited:
I feel like the increase in price and the releasing of too many figures has made a lot of people just not care. Also, the releasing of characters that people didn't want in the first place but Hot Toys still felt they should make them. I got rid of most of my HT figures and just kept one or two, pretty much done with HT

I dont care what they make and don't collect for collectibility's sake. I buy for one thing only, to own rhe coolest version of my favorite character, if hot toys makes it im all over it. I just don't frankly care about dropping 200 bucks on a preorder of a Jeremy renner figure from a movie that will be a financial hit but will absolutely suck. It's got mass market watered down crap stink all over it. Hell they are a business let them make their dough, I would!

I'll skip out on the avemgers crap and pick myself a much cooler and classier item for my collection like the King! Bring on mr. Presley, and I'll be busy in the customs section. Then hot Toys will show something I actually want like reeves superman or Keaton batman, hell yeah I'll pick that up too.

Buy what you like, sell what you don't want anymore and avoid what you will never want.

Did you keep the 'new goblin"...???

Why would hot toys stray From their comfort zone? It's business as usual baby... You take risks until it pays off and then you coast. And then someone else comes along and shake things up and make you scared and then you reinvent yourself again. The big business needs an underdog as much as the underdog needs to try and inch above someone else. At the end of the day the consumer wins.

I think Hot Toys suffers from the same problem that 90's comics suffered from: oversaturation & over promising. They got popular really fast which led to over production of certain figures, rereleases, and promising and never releasing WAY too many lines. This reminds me of Image's inconsistency with virtually every comic line.

Do I still like Hot Toys? Absolutely and I will still collect them. However, Iron Monger is the only figure that I have preordered because I am confident that I can get Nick Fury, Red Skull and (eventually) Loki for less once they are released.

Yup, a figure like a Rocky DX is long overdue. General Zod from Superman, how about a Marty Mcfly figure? So many things to work with. Seems like they're just going with the flavor of the month things ATM.

But at least were getting some Spider-Man figures now, and Star Wars looks promising.

Hard for me to be too critical as i think they're the best 1/6 company. But the saturation of Iron Man and Batman are almost sickening when you think about what they could be putting out.

The only problem I have is them constantly making all those ironmen it's ridiculous IMO.

I feel like the increase in price and the releasing of too many figures has made a lot of people just not care.

I didn't think I cared about HT ramping up the edition size at first. But I've realised I am a snob. I need a bit of exclusivity about my toys I've found. Also, the ramping up of the ES isn't matched by a lowering of the MSRP. Quite the opposite. It's like, "hey, we've made these things less exclusive and more expensive - thanks for continuing to buy our over-priced, mass-produced products suckers!"

If Hot Toys want to make another ten+ iron mans or batmans i wouldn't begrudge them to do so as long as new franchises and characters were also being made in a good enough quantity, as it is, its mostly one or two new franchise character and then straight back to the same ones theyve already done

So many licenses have been left without the best or even main characters made at all, which is too big a shame for the fans and variety in their catalog

I didn't think I cared about HT ramping up the edition size at first. But I've realised I am a snob. I need a bit of exclusivity about my toys I've found. Also, the ramping up of the ES isn't matched by a lowering of the MSRP. Quite the opposite. It's like, "hey, we've made these things less exclusive and more expensive - thanks for continuing to buy our over-priced, mass-produced products suckers!"

:goodpost:

I'm not too big into ES, but a collectible has to feel unique and exclusive otherwise it's just another product.

Figures used to be one-of-kind and limited, now they are one of many versions and readily available :(

Last edited:
The comment about the 90s comics is interesting... Things do have a way of peaking. I'm almost certain that hot toys will level off when demand falls. But this market just wants the same thing. We either used to see it in 7 inch figures or we saw it in statues, we want the coolest version of something like a Chris reeve superman. Something to captivate our adult mind and taste level in a way that a small hunk of blue plastic was able to do while our 5 year old imagination filled in the gap.

Eventually something cooler will exist. It's not going to be quarter scale figures though I'll tell you that much!

Back