Hot Toys Gary Oldman Commisioner Gordon on the way

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bale's take...

"If Robin crops up in one of the new Batman films, I'll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work."

Ironically Nolan could probably do Grayson justice taking the emotionally destroyed youth and having him follow in Batman's footsteps but he is against it and I doubt he has changed his mind in time for the third.

I don't think Robin is integral, I think you could easily follow Bruce as Batman without Robin ever coming into the picture. I'm not saying he should never be used, if handled well, I think it'd be cool, just saying, I think you can make a nice film series without ever bringing him in.

I don't think Robin is integral, I think you could easily follow Bruce as Batman without Robin ever coming into the picture. I'm not saying he should never be used, if handled well, I think it'd be cool, just saying, I think you can make a nice film series without ever bringing him in.

What you do you not intergral?

Maybe not integral to the story or the character of Batman but he was in most of the comics and tv shows to date. He hasn't had a proper film outing yet but he has always been with Batman in at least some guise.

And this is coming from someone who hated Batman and Robin mainly because of Robin. I think if there is a director who can od it it's Nolan.

What you do you not intergral?

I mean, without being slave to Batman's history, he's not necessary to tell Batman stories. You need Alfred as that stability in Bruce's life, you need Gordon as that connection in the police, other than that, you can take the core of who Batman is and those characters and go off on all sorts of adventures without needing others from his past. You really don't even need the Joker, he's part of the mythology, but he isn't necessary to define Batman, it's just a character people are really use to from comics and shows and all. If Robin never existed to date, it's possible no one would ever think, Batman should have a sidekick at some point.

To me, the only integral things for Batman movies are the things that define the Batman character, and the only 2 people that you need their type of character involved in my book are Gordon and Alfred for the reasons I said. After that, depending on what you do for a story, you could get away with not using anything else. Should they, I'd say no, it's nice to see characters you're familiar with, just saying they could do it and it would still work.

There have been many Robins through the Batman mythos. Each one serving a purpose of their own. Grayson was purely to attract young readers so he had the youthfulness to him, the "anti-Batman" where he was supposed to show how someone who walked his path could come out positive with assistance and reassurance how even though his parents were brutally killed, he would serve as a surregate and provide a father when Bruce never had one. Jason was the "Anti-Grayson", he was the rebellous one, a punk basically someone who would be filled with angst that Batman had to set on the right track. Tim was more aligned with Grayson but was supposed to show Bruce the intellect side, someone who was matching him in terms of skill and prowless that Batman was to mold as a successor type of role, while at the same time Grayson was off finding his own identity as Nightwing. Stephanie Brown was to show a kinder side, a more optimistic Robin, someone who would do right by Batman and want to learn the craft who then ironically is killed (which was retconn'd) and Damian was to be the anti-Bruce where he grew up without a father and resents his lineage but at the same time knows he has to reclaim it.

and that is just in standard continuity...

The problem is all of this history is lost on the big screen, not because they don't want use him but because they always meld them. Burt Ward's version was played up too cutesy while O' Donnell version by the screenwriter's admission used Grayson's name, Todd's persona and Drake's costume.

If I were a director or screenwriter I'd be weary of using Robin as well no matter how much I took it seriously. There is just a ton of baggage that comes with it.

I mean, without being slave to Batman's history, he's not necessary to tell Batman stories. You need Alfred as that stability in Bruce's life, you need Gordon as that connection in the police, other than that, you can take the core of who Batman is and those characters and go off on all sorts of adventures without needing others from his past. You really don't even need the Joker, he's part of the mythology, but he isn't necessary to define Batman, it's just a character people are really use to from comics and shows and all. If Robin never existed to date, it's possible no one would ever think, Batman should have a sidekick at some point.

To me, the only integral things for Batman movies are the things that define the Batman character, and the only 2 people that you need their type of character involved in my book are Gordon and Alfred for the reasons I said. After that, depending on what you do for a story, you could get away with not using anything else. Should they, I'd say no, it's nice to see characters you're familiar with, just saying they could do it and it would still work.

I understand where your coming from integral maybe not the best way to put it but here's the thing, if you say Batman most people instantly think and Robin. They wouldn't associate Gordon or Alfred. They maybe are more important to the story so far but my gripe is with the actors/directors thinking that Robin was just a gimmick. He may have started that way but Batman started off killing people. Nolan based his films around the idea of not killing people so I wish he'd be a little more open minded.

I doubt they'd bother putting Scarecrow in Batman 3, he already had his brief reappearance in TDK, what else could they do with him.

Bring him back as someone truly frightening and memorable , and one of the Riddler's accomplices.

scarecrow was important to the dark knight because it helped connect the film to batman begins. batman is still active cleaning up the streets and chasing after the loose ends like scarecrow.

As for robin...I'm not sure how he would work in movies. I do like the character but it would be hard to see a circus outfitted robin next to bale's special ops bat suit. and if you tried to give him a matching suit itd be tacky like forever or b&r. I think that is a huge issue with robin on film. how far can you really take his appearance to a point where it would match up.

as for villains...I really hope they still have some of the previously shown baddies in it to connect this last movie to the first two. As a kid, and still today, I always get excited when I see villains working together to take down batman. This needs to be more like in the comics instead of like how its already been done in the movie. Scarecrow and hatter working together talking all gibberish just to get paid so they can do drugs or kidnap children or whatever...within another villains more elaborate plot.

Yeah, but the actor himself may not be meeting with a rep from Hot Toys or be seeing their product. Unless they're collectors themselves, they won't know what Hot Toys is or how much craft goes into the 1/6 stuff. If all they hear from their agent is that "These guys want to make action figures of you," it likely sparks to their mind stuff like the crappy 3-inch Star Wars figures - cheap toys to make a quick buck.

Also, they may want to draw a line between being an actor and being a pop culture icon. They may see their job as taking a role in a production and infusing it with life - nothing more beyond that (including being on posters, in tie-ins and spin-offs, in merchandising, etc.). They want their craft to be as respected as if they were Shakespearean actors.

Like an author who doesn't want movie adaptations of their material being done - maybe they just want to connect to people via their books, and that's it.

That is a very good point. I read another post similar to this one and I agree, I can see this happening and it wasn't something I thought of initially.

I will just say this though because it came to mind when you mentioned "Shakespearean actors".....

Gary Oldman as Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg in The Fifth Element.
:lol

Just struck me as funny....

just a response to the peeps who didn't consider lucius fox as part of regular Batman canon. he IS in the comic books long before Begins started and really, he does all the daily operation of Wayne Enterprises much like in the movie. but yeah, factoring in consumer demand, i don't think the figure would sell tons, but man oh man, if they are able to make it an virtually identical mini morgan freeman, i would be all over that. same goes with this news about the ht gordon. i hope they won't make it a DX figure, just a normal MMS would be fine, and yeah, the only selling point that this figure would probably have FOR ME, is if he'd have an interesting extra like what you fellas are saying, the bat-signal. i mean, i'm sure they'll put in walkie talkies, a hand gun, and quite possibly a swat uniform, but that's about that. a bat-signal accessory on the other hand...

batman 3 is a go. finally. been visiting BOF religiously just to get any updates and was sooooo happy when i finally read that.

batman 3 is a go. finally. been visiting BOF religiously just to get any updates and was sooooo happy when i finally read that.

Dude, there are FAR better places to go for Batman news than BOF.

Most of the stuff there is BS and the guy who runs it is a jerk who's really full of himself.

It used to be the go-to spot, during the "Batman Begins" filming days. Then he really sold himself out and the quality when downhill fast during "The Dark Knight." All indications are that nothing's changed since, and never will...

I cannot wait to get the Commish, i need an orginal batsuit to finish off a decent sized batman collection. I am considering getting a DX Joker but it seems a bit of an overkill to have four joker figures on display. Gordon will just round everything up nicely.

Most of the stuff there is BS and the guy who runs it is a jerk who's really full of himself.

It used to be the go-to spot, during the "Batman Begins" filming days. Then he really sold himself out and the quality when downhill fast during "The Dark Knight." All indications are that nothing's changed since, and never will...

so you're saying that jett's sold out or something? and for the "other" better sites, you have any examples?

I'd have to agree to disagree. Each to their own but I think BoF /Jett are great supporters of Batman and the latest Nolan films. My only complaint is that there isn't enough Bat 3 news out there for more posts.

I thought the coverage of BB & TDK/the filming/ viral campaign etc was fantastic and it's the most excitement I've experienced to a films build up. Rumours are always marked as such and he avoids posting major plot spoilers unlike most sites. Good luck to anyone going into Predators not knowing the whole friggin storyline!

I know the site could do with a facelift by today's standards of web pages but I think it shows just how humble and grounded Jett is. He's just an everyday Joe that has supported something he truely loves and believes in and good luck to him. Sell out? Nah.

Am I the only one that would rather get a Ras than a Gordon? Or better yet, a LoS ninja? (how about a dx LoS figure with interchangable Bruce/ Ras / and ninja heads?)

Gordon is cool and all but I'd rather have someone to go against Bats. Other than the 4 to 7 Jokers we currently have of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back