Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've been lube window shopping and i dont think that shin etsu or honda grease is available here.
has anyone tried this..
317309608.jpg

which is completely inaccurate, as movie ED has it metal-shining.

Don't understand why someone hasn't made a good hard plastic recast of this yet. They would make so much money offering replacements at a reasonable price. Every ED owner would by one as insurance against future deterioration. Come on, DO IT!

Ive had my ed-209 displayed in a Detolf case for about a month now and it hasnt shown any signs of cracking. I did order the Honda Grease about 2 weeks ago and finally got around to applying some to the dome just incase. Better safe then sorry.

ed2.JPG

ed3.JPG

ed1.JPG

ed4.JPG

It's been maybe a month and a half or 2 months since I applied the Honda grease to mine, the dome is still in pristine condition. :yess:

Had mine since June, never put anything on any of the rubber parts, and to this day not a single hint of trouble. Nothing..

Still looks exactly like the day I took him out of the package. Really strange how some are fine and others terrible. :dunno

I'm am on the fence about letting this guy go soon and getting the Chronicle replica. Sure you lose the ability to pose it, but the connection to Tippett studios is really enticing. :/

Just not sure I can get a decent price for this guy, not sure what a defect free one is worth now.

20150223_132717_1.jpg20150223_132707_1_1.jpg

You can add me to the list of people who's dome has started to disintegrate. Id been checking it regularly and it always looked fine.
On Saturday, a week after checking it last, i noticed the cracking had started. I applied mod podge straightaway.
Im in the uk, Ed has been on display since July. Ive never touched the dome and once it was on display i havent touched it to pose it.
Ive also noticed the rubber sleeves have started to crack as well

Just received mine a week ago here in the UK, I'm in two minds whether to wait and see or to proactively apply stuff to the rubber

Just received mine a week ago here in the UK, I'm in two minds whether to wait and see or to proactively apply stuff to the rubber

Do something preventive now. i was sure nothing was going to happen to mine. I was actually quite cocky about it

Has the facebook page that was set up for this been taken down? The link in the first post just goes to my facebook newsfeed now.

I lurk here occasionally.. :lol

It's shameful. 2014/15 & y'all are applying first aid to these things.

I still worry about my DX09.. all good..

..so far. :thud:

Usually UV is the cause of cracking on rubber, not sure if some of you guys are exposing your ED to natural light or maybe using normal bulbs instead of LED's in your display cases? As for the shin-etsu, is this something you just do once and are done or do you need to reapply it every 6 months or something?

The dome on my ED is still fine and I got mine pretty early, the rubber joints at the hip/waist are showing signs though.

I m baffled that NO ONE has been working on replacement parts.
Customizers here or Anybody with contacts to asian factories, those who do knock off bodies hs etc are sitting on a gold mine...
Same thing happened with the comedian armor...
Go figure...

I m baffled that NO ONE has been working on replacement parts.
Customizers here or Anybody with contacts to asian factories, those who do knock off bodies hs etc are sitting on a gold mine...
Same thing happened with the comedian armor...
Go figure...

I don't know about that, I've offered to replace the damaged dome for free and haven't had any takers.

Back