1/6 Hot Toys DX19 - The Dark Knight Rises - 1/6th scale Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/6th scale Batman Collectible Figure

I'd argue that I think Hot Toys does the best they can with what they have. Sometimes improvements in technology or skilled workers can make something a reality. I can't think of a single figure in my 40+ collection that, when bought and displayed, made me think they could have done better. If I had, I wouldn't be collecting these things any longer. They're expensive, and people have the right to be disappointed. If you think the company you're giving your money to isn't delivering on the money you gave them, then stop supporting them.
Three words: Quarter Scale Joker

Now that was a disappointment.

That said, it is important to acknowledge that every company has their highs and lows. They're certainly no where near perfect, but they also produce some really good stuff from time to time.

I missed put on the original releases, but I picked up an armory set (and a second loose armory figure) on the after market over the years. I got decent prices so I have no regrets.

I've been considering picking up Jaxon's custom head, but I might just get this instead for the updated cowl. It's a shame that the gloves, elbow pads and and shoulders haven't been improved in some way--but besidd those issues, I dont blame them for re-using the suit (apparently) because there's really nothing else wrong with it.

However, since they do call out a new body with improved articulation, perhaps there MAY be a new suit (whether or not that's what's seen here)? If this nee body is scaled more closely with other modern figures then a re-vamped suit might be needed.

I hope Joker and other figures follow, but I won't get my hopes up. I also just put together a Daftoys Bane and Joker--and i have a custom Joker head in the works--which I sort of regret now, but oh well. Just bad timing.

The batpod is tempting but I have nowhere to put it--and if I were to buy a vehicle, my priority would be the 89 Batmobile, then maybe the Tumbler.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Every single toy manufacturer in the history of planet earth does this at some point. Should not be a surprise.

Sure, but not every single toy manufacturer produces figures in the $250 range as well so people have a right to be more upset than usual. And I would add that the re-releases would be much easier to swallow if the updates were material. This release seems like a 95% straight re-release.

The Bruce Wayne sculpt really looks like Ryan Gosling.
128577896_10157669358442344_8525824076800141372_o.jpg

ryan-gosling.webp

And
129937483_10157669357952344_4612979177245022987_o.jpg

1itoun.jpg

I'd argue that I think Hot Toys does the best they can with what they have. Sometimes improvements in technology or skilled workers can make something a reality. I can't think of a single figure in my 40+ collection that, when bought and displayed, made me think they could have done better. If I had, I wouldn't be collecting these things any longer. They're expensive, and people have the right to be disappointed. If you think the company you're giving your money to isn't delivering on the money you gave them, then stop supporting them.

The issue is that Hot Toys has a track record of bait and switch tactics and purposely producing inferior sculpts to re-release. Things like diecase engineering, etc. I get totally it may have to do with R&D. But not things like sculpts. Hot Toys has been doing this with sculpts in fact since the first Joker release back in like 2008.

I think you completely misread his / her point. They were not saying they were bummed about the price of their collectible going down. They were saying that they are disappointed that everything we buy seems to be made inferior than it could be just so the company can re-release the same figure with updates years down the road to dip again into our pockets. Whatever your feelins on this other argument, I can understand because Hot Toys has indeed shown so many times they purposely release a lesser figure despite being able to make it better with their eyes on a re-release.
This isn't like ROTJ Luke where HT offered a more complete version immediately after shipping the previous edition (ensuring no one could make an informed purchasing decision about the original release). This isn't even like the release of the armory, wherein an updated version of the DX12 was included just a year after the DX12 was announced. This is an updated version of a figure last offered seven years ago, which was at that time part of a significantly more expensive set (the armory set), and last offered individually eight years ago.

If the argument is that it's somehow bad for HT to revisit a popular IP and make some upgrades to bring it in-line with their modern offerings, I think that's a pretty bonkers position. If someone is mad that a better version of a figure they bought eight years ago might exist, well, the action figure game is probably not where they should be spending their money.

The only valid criticism of this figure's release that I can see is that HT didn't make ENOUGH improvements over the last release.

Sure, but not every single toy manufacturer produces figures in the $250 range as well so people have a right to be more upset than usual. And I would add that the re-releases would be much easier to swallow if the updates were material. This release seems like a 95% straight re-release.

Wrong. Bandai, Takara, and a lot of other toy (high end) manufacturers do it. It never ends.

People are not owed anything. These are toys.

You want one of a kind buy real art or Bugattis.

Just sell your older toys if you feel tempted by new, shiny toys.

This thing won’t be in people’s hands till mid 2022, if that. :lol And with Hot Toys’ current rate of output with Gamora, Qui-Gon, Cody, etc. I fully expect it to get pushed back even further, like, 2 years from now.

That’s a loooooooooong time to wait for a Toy and with the way the world is right now, it’ll get lost in the shuffle. Plenty of time to sell whatever you feel is inferior because there are hundreds of people out there willing to plop down serious money on a cool Batman figure RIGHT NOW at this very minute, not . . . 2 years from now.

A bait and switch is when you give customers something different than what they thought they were buying. A company issuing an improved version of a product seven years later is, objectively, not a bait and switch.

HT has done some questionable things, but this is obviously not one of them.

Well sometimes prototypes change for the better (TDK Bats 1/4) so I'll take that bait and switch all day long.

This isn't perfect, I do hope HT fixes some stuff. If they don't (I'm 100% sure that'll be the case) then whatever. It's still better than nothing.

I think it's time to hang it up for me. There's no point in being a collector if they're just going to re-release everything every few years. In essence here's whatever heavily flawed and lazy version we can put out now but we'll hook them years later with a better version.

There's improvements in engineering and technology that make new toys better. The first one came out like 7 years ago. So you've got new things to work with, and you've got A LOT more collectors out there. Coupled with a global pandemic resulting in fewer movies being released now, it's not hard to see why they might dip back in. Take a look at the new Two-Face figure. It's been sitting on Sideshow for over a year and is $20 off now. I would've bought that figure when it came out if I had a Batman to go with it. Now I have that option and will likely pick him up.

The issue is that Hot Toys has a track record of bait and switch tactics and purposely producing inferior sculpts to re-release. Things like diecase engineering, etc. I get totally it may have to do with R&D. But not things like sculpts. Hot Toys has been doing this with sculpts in fact since the first Joker release back in like 2008.

DX12 came out SEVEN years ago. Has this been there plan? Let things simmer for almost a decade before they really 'get' us?

People seeing these dolls as investments is something I though was over with 10 years ago. christ almighty.

the release is expected in a year and a half, they have a lot of time to make the changes.
the new body will be 32 cm height, so, many of the costume components will have to redo.
the photos are of the prototype, the final product will be different and better. I hope....

How tall is the dx12 and armory version?

:lol

I'll just buy the head parted out later. Can't believe they're including the same, awkward staircase stand with him.

Joker must be inbound - and I assume it'll use the awful 1/4 sculpt with PERS crammed in, and still no bazooka. But don't worry, he'll have a pencil (but with no table).

Last edited:

People seeing these dolls as investments is something I though was over with 10 years ago. christ almighty.
I honestly have a bit of a laugh whenever someone complains about figures being "devalued." If someone wants to buy a sold out figure and is willing to pay a premium, I completely get that, but sellers who think HT is doing them dirty by re-releasing figures are off their rockers.

There's always going to be a better figure of a popular IP at some point. People need to accept that and understand that they are responsible for their own purchasing decisions, whether you're the guy who thought he'd make a profit on a Mk 47 Iron Man or the guy who had the bad luck of paying aftermarket prices on a DX12 a week ago.

You always roll the dice when you play the aftermarket game, and it's not HT's fault if you lose.

Just sell your older toys if you feel tempted by new, shiny toys.

This thing won?t be in people?s hands till mid 2022, if that. :lol And with Hot Toys? current rate of output with Gamora, Qui-Gon, Cody, etc. I fully expect it to get pushed back even further, like, 2 years from now.

That?s a loooooooooong time to wait for a Toy and with the way the world is right now, it?ll get lost in the shuffle. Plenty of time to sell whatever you feel is inferior because there are hundreds of people out there willing to plop down serious money on a cool Batman figure RIGHT NOW at this very minute, not . . . 2 years from now.

I'm keeping my inferior Batman. Maybe I'll buy the head and mouth on ebay...maybe.

Love seeing the clear DK Rises Armory in the background. I really want to see a Bat-Armory set with a Lucius Fox. Lucius and Ra's are all I need from Hot Toys to make the Nolan collection feel entirely complete. If this figure is paving the way for that, then this is a great announcement.

I don't need this one, as I have both Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises Batmen, as well as the original Armory. I'll be passing on the sure-to-come Joker as well, unless he includes either the Honor Guard uniform (I started collecting Hot Toys too late for the original) or the nurse uniform.

It's fun to see releases from Nolan's films, as the recent Two-Face was much improved, and gave me the opportunity to use the original in my display as Harvey. But there's very little chance of me buying an redos of other characters from this line unless they come with different looks from the films.

I keep passing on the Bat-Pod, but maybe with the current DC drought, I might buy it this time around. I just don't have a place to put it. My tables are full with the 89 Batmobile and the shields...

I did that with the jump from DX 12 to Armory.

Literally sold the DX 12 heads for decent $$$ and used that $$$ to buying the Armory Heads. Just a matter of time and patience.

Cowl looks better than any previous 1/6 Bale. There are a few issues but doubtless they will improve it in the two years before release. Hard to get too excited for some so far in the future.

I'm all for updated versions of older figures. As others have said these aren't numbered or limited edition like some statues. If it upsets some of the scalpers asking extortionate prices on eBay all the better. Hopefully Ledger is next.

They need to do improved versions of other old figures like the Reeve Superman, 89 Batman and Joker, First Blood Rambo if they still have the license.

Back