Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t justify that price. I’m out on a figure i thought for sure I’d be in on. I thought i was limiting to mostly just Star Wars looks like i might be limiting even more so.

Don’t give up, everybody!! Damn you Hot Toys!!! Do not despair fellow collectors!!!!
ca42577cf511a111fafdf12b364f9a89.gif

This reminds me of the scene in jurassic park where they are discussing how much they could charge people and the crooked lawyer says "maybe we will have a coupon day" :)

My tin foil hat theory is that HT and SS are working together to not step on each others toes as much as we think. SS has a basic Darth Maul so that’s your option if you don’t want 2 PERS Heads.Jedi Luke has a ‘Deluxe’ SS release that’s basically the same price as the HT Jedi Luke, letting both companies get some of the market.

That’s what I’ve been thinking... both have coinciding price raises around the same time (hot toys more justified than sideshow) even though there are laws against competitors doing that, they also can come up with their own prices for their competitors products in a sense so they get theirs.

I will always find the Hot Toys/Sideshow business model very interesting. I know it’s somewhat common with overseas items but I’m not sure they always have as much play as sideshow seems to have. Wasn’t there someone writing a book about this? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bothered by the price so much as the carved in tat lines. Going to sit it out.

Regular version is not up on bbts only the speeder?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For me, probably the only must-have figure from the PT but that price for the sith speeder version was unexpected.

It's almost like HT and SS see what a sold out figure goes for on Ebay and decided to just skip ahead and charge that amount from the get-go... :gah:

I'm surprised how many people have dropped out on this.

Maybe they pushed the price just too high?

Nah....
It’s one of the highest priced figures they’ve produced. For one that doesn’t have die-cast, anyway.

Can’t justify that price. I’m out on a figure i thought for sure I’d be in on. I thought i was limiting to mostly just Star Wars looks like i might be limiting even more so.
I’ve been saying it for a while, but this hobby is eating itself alive. The average collector, and no I don’t mean broke asses, can’t justify the prices of Mafex, Figuarts, Figma and Hot Toys figures anymore. They just collect too much. So, now you’re looking at more focused, tunnel-vision collecting going forward.

This is bad. Bad for collectors and bad for diversity. If you thought the Star Wars, Marvel and DC trifecta was too much before... ha! Sure, there will still be some degree of variety lingering in the hobby, obviously, and we may not feel the repercussions of this for a few years. It’s coming though.

So Darth Maul has a NRD at BBTS but War Machine doesn’t.
Most of the Star Wars figures have NRDs now. They kept getting cancellations and overstock.

It's only the Sith Speeder edition up on BBTS.

And shame on me, I went for it. But I'm pretty sure this is one that will sell out long before the 4th Quarter of next year rolls around.

As for the price on the base figure, I'm not too shocked. $282 for this character doesn't shock - both Disney and HT know Maul is a fan favorite. ROTS Anakin is $235 with almost the same accessory count, except for the alternate portrait.

I knew Maul would be a character that would get the nudge up in price.

Last edited:
I got the naboo one from SS which I think is awesome, no need to really get this but damn it I want that speeder only I have no room!!! I need another house that can be just for my collection LOL!!!!!!

Back