Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like singing sculpt. Not battle cry.

maul_singer.jpg

Latest photo from J.C. Hong.
View attachment 420766

This is the one PT figure that I'll get, looks too good to pass up. He's a true villain compared to Cry Baby Ren and Waah-akin Skywalker

Well I watched Episode 1 again today and now I’m really bothered by the sculpted tattoos. Not that I was okay with it before, but seeing that fight again and the first time on my 4K tv really made it obvious how smooth his face actually is.

I wish they’d rework that along with that second sculpt. :gah:

Well I watched Episode 1 again today and now I’m really bothered by the sculpted tattoos. Not that I was okay with it before, but seeing that fight again and the first time on my 4K tv really made it obvious how smooth his face actually is.

I wish they’d rework that along with that second sculpt. :gah:

Release is over a year away I'd say tweaks are almost a certainty.

I get that the second headsculpt is... interesting. But I honestly, really think that HT will make an adjustment here. It's been universally panned.

But all that aside - I can't wrap my head around the sudden spike in love for the SS version. Sure, it is probably the best SS release in years, but the quality is still SS. For $40 more you get a full second hesd, PERS, the probe droid, cloak, light up saber, swoosh effects, the wrist control gauntlet, and if you go through the right retailers, the hologram. On top of that, you're just going to have a better experience with the HT version out of the box, the paint alone will be light-years ahead.

Remind me again why you should go for the SS? The likeness that has equal but different imperfections to the HT ones? We're in stupid prices now anyway, so I'm honestly throwing that out of the door given the additional HT content. You want a HT Maul with nothing like the SS? It'd be the same price, which is too much for a barebones figure as we established with the SS version. You can probably sell the cloak alone for that difference if you care that much.

The only instance I would tread lightly would be if you already had a Maul.

I'm so happy that HT rendered the prosthetic aspect of the horns. Star Wars is all about that tangibility and pseudo lo-fi believability. Retaining that aspect instead of using creative liberty makes a better product, I think.

I don’t think that anyone here has suggested that you actually buy the SSC version now instead of the HT version, for some of the reasons you mention. What people are saying is that the SSC sculpt and paint job is at least on par with the HT version (as I see it even better) and that it’s a little hard to justify getting this one as well when the base figure isn’t better than what we already have. If you don’t have a Maul at all I believe everyone thinks there’s better value in the HT with all the accessories.

Loving this figure, but not wild about the open mouth sculpt -- he always seemed like more of a snarler than a shouter/screamer (teehee). I'd have preferred something like this for the second sculpt:

Epic-Battles-Darth-Maul_Big_6.jpg

Second sculpt reminds me of the Randy Martinez print. Sith, a Kiss parody.

59.jpg

Anyone think the sculpted tattoos are there for the Pers access to work?

I think that might be it.....

Makes a nice easy way to remove a section of the head to get at the eye rollers

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Loving this figure, but not wild about the open mouth sculpt -- he always seemed like more of a snarler than a shouter/screamer (teehee). I'd have preferred something like this for the second sculpt:

View attachment 420977

Exactly. THIS is what I want. Everyone, which I believe is the majority who wants this sculpt, needs to start bombarding HT with emails. Worked for Boba Fett.

Second sculpt reminds me of the Randy Martinez print. Sith, a Kiss parody.

View attachment 420978

Nailed it!

Exactly. THIS is what I want. Everyone, which I believe is the majority who wants this sculpt, needs to start bombarding HT with emails. Worked for Boba Fett.

What email address should we send the suggestion to?

And what happened with Boba? I wasn’t watching that one closely (to avoid temptation!).

What email address should we send the suggestion to?

And what happened with Boba? I wasn’t watching that one closely (to avoid temptation!).

[email protected]
Most people, myself included, got the usual generic bot response but there were some that actually received a response that their message would get passed on. I think I sent 4 or 5 emails.

Man this thread is so much active, just look at the views and post count from last SDCC 'till now. Darth Maul gonna be one of their best selling SW figures

From the pictures, the sideshow exclusive holo maul looks kind of weak. I think if I do preorder I might get it elsewhere for less than sideshow price plus cheaper shipping.

Back