Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, mouth still does not convey anger feeling. I am not against him having an expression of anger. Thing is he doesn't seem like shouting or yelling in hate or anger.

I hope these are still separate head and neck sculpts. I thought he originally posted just the head w/o the neck last time.

That can change at the drop of a hat. I remember a few heads that looked like they were separate from the neck that eventually came with a sculpted neck attached. No guarantees.

I hope these are still separate head and neck sculpts. I thought he originally posted just the head w/o the neck last time.

You can see the joint in some of the official photos.

dx17-d9.jpg

Anyone else not fond of the tattoo sculpting? They technically should be flush with his skin. They’re not supposed to be like Drax’s tattoos.

I get that the second headsculpt is... interesting. But I honestly, really think that HT will make an adjustment here. It's been universally panned.

But all that aside - I can't wrap my head around the sudden spike in love for the SS version. Sure, it is probably the best SS release in years, but the quality is still SS. For $40 more you get a full second hesd, PERS, the probe droid, cloak, light up saber, swoosh effects, the wrist control gauntlet, and if you go through the right retailers, the hologram. On top of that, you're just going to have a better experience with the HT version out of the box, the paint alone will be light-years ahead.

Remind me again why you should go for the SS? The likeness that has equal but different imperfections to the HT ones? We're in stupid prices now anyway, so I'm honestly throwing that out of the door given the additional HT content. You want a HT Maul with nothing like the SS? It'd be the same price, which is too much for a barebones figure as we established with the SS version. You can probably sell the cloak alone for that difference if you care that much.

The only instance I would tread lightly would be if you already had a Maul.

I'm so happy that HT rendered the prosthetic aspect of the horns. Star Wars is all about that tangibility and pseudo lo-fi believability. Retaining that aspect instead of using creative liberty makes a better product, I think.

Value for the money....I would agree with you. SS Always had their v.2 Maul priced too high. Cost aside however, it's still a really excellent figure. The sculpt and paint apps are dead on and IF you already have the V2 SS.....this HT version will be a far stretch to scrap and replace. For me personally, I indend to display my SS Maul fighting QuiGon...and will have my HT Maul riding his bike in his bathrobe....

Sideshow’s version looks okay but the overall package and value isn’t there. If you’re already spending that much I don’t see why you wouldn’t spend a bit more to get a more ultimate package. Not to mention with Sideshow’s figure a lot of people are probably going to want to spend more out of the gate on a better body.

If someone is looking to buy a Maul figure and they don’t have the SSV2 then the HT Maul is definitely a better”value”. He’s really loaded with goodies. As much as I like the SSV2 if I had to choose paying $240 for it or $270 for HT’s then I’d choose HT.

Sculpted tattoos doesn't appear prominent in ToysTV video as much as those in official photos.

Even the main sculpt is off. They’ve got work to do and enough time in which to do it.

This isn’t supposed to be Battlefront 2 Maul. And actually, that Maul is inaccurate in more ways than one. If you exclude his ****** voice acting, he has very little resemblance to Park and also—and this is the one I find odd—his horn placement at the back of his dome is incorrect. He’s also missing a horn.

OMG someone else noticed that too!! I didn’t think anyone else noticed it because I hadn’t seen any results on a google search. I actually sent a feedback email to EA about the missing Maul horn lol. I don’t get how they messed that up. Just lazy designers.

OMG someone else noticed that too!! I didn’t think anyone else noticed it because I hadn’t seen any results on a google search. I actually sent a feedback email to EA about the missing Maul horn lol. I don’t get how they messed that up. Just lazy designers.

Which one is he missing?

Here’s the comparison pics again Courtesy of Matrix. To my eyes the SSC head sculpt is the clear winner. The HT sculpt is WAY off.

BDC44D19-34F2-4F62-8BB7-529B88BC9611.jpeg
4F362F7F-E345-4F16-A7B9-489D409D3064.jpeg

Sideshow’s looks more cartoonish to me. It’s not a bad sculpt/paint job but you can always kinda distinguish their figures from Hot Toys. They tend to look like caricatures to me more. I will agree the open mouth sculpt on this figure is a bit odd though. I get what they’re going for but it should be more of a gritted teeth snarl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sideshow is pretty much bad at everything from their 1/6 protos to production pieces, to the sabers drooping on their PF's. I really don't know why people keep falling for their shenanigans.

It’s really hard to tell from these pics with these expressions. I think the original SSC sculpt has the closest likeness as far as sculpt but the expression looks like a scared kid. Plus the head was huge like a bobble head. No one wants that.
935a5d150121532f2edfa725af4f4a20.jpg

b4814b530f7fcb7c166a1bd32288faf5.jpg

The SSC2 is a great sculpt but doesn’t match much of Parks features particularly the width of the nose but that may just be the difference in expression.
1e327845daa9e751c3e92b315e768ba7.jpg

816631639e28d46728b665dff93d22ae.jpg

The HT seems the next closest in likeness but I prefer the expression more if that makes sense.
935ef99db53a2f232915050b276e4a4a.jpg

6c51e21f7d11dc8b05b6b7a142fd1480.jpg

The Medicom is the least closest in likeness. The nose seems way too wide and of course is too thin and undersized.
6a6d1fc4909db301f2d73ab830fbe8d8.jpg

The problem I have with Sideshow pieces a lot of times is that they take "artistic liberty" with their figures and basically that's used as an excuse for why something doesn't look like what its representing. Sometimes their stuff is decent but I think they miss the mark a lot more than they hit it.

I get that the second headsculpt is... interesting. But I honestly, really think that HT will make an adjustment here. It's been universally panned.

But all that aside - I can't wrap my head around the sudden spike in love for the SS version. Sure, it is probably the best SS release in years, but the quality is still SS. For $40 more you get a full second hesd, PERS, the probe droid, cloak, light up saber, swoosh effects, the wrist control gauntlet, and if you go through the right retailers, the hologram. On top of that, you're just going to have a better experience with the HT version out of the box, the paint alone will be light-years ahead.

Remind me again why you should go for the SS? The likeness that has equal but different imperfections to the HT ones? We're in stupid prices now anyway, so I'm honestly throwing that out of the door given the additional HT content. You want a HT Maul with nothing like the SS? It'd be the same price, which is too much for a barebones figure as we established with the SS version. You can probably sell the cloak alone for that difference if you care that much.

The only instance I would tread lightly would be if you already had a Maul.

I'm so happy that HT rendered the prosthetic aspect of the horns. Star Wars is all about that tangibility and pseudo lo-fi believability. Retaining that aspect instead of using creative liberty makes a better product, I think.
Sudden spike? I’ve been an advocate for the SSC v2 Maul since it was released. There’s plenty to love there. It is a very difficult figure to top. I have a feeling this is why Hot Toys decided to produce a DX, because they knew how well Sideshow hit the nail on the head and would have to up their game even further. Sadly, their sculpt is still off. Especially that awful alternate head.

Honestly, if you can “justify” both, it’s probably worth it. They are going to be the two single best Maul figures for years to come. I still have the original v1 Sideshow release. Never got the Hasbro or the Medicom versions though. I have a ton of 3 3/4 scale Maul figures and finally got the Figuarts last year.

It really depends on what image of Maul you’re looking at. Sometimes the prosthetics are clearly defined, other times it’s a little harder to tell. I think both have really nice sets of horns. Sideshow’s isn’t quite as well painted, but some of them do have the better paint “fade” that runs down into the sculpt. Some of them.

Value for the money....I would agree with you. SS Always had their v.2 Maul priced too high. Cost aside however, it's still a really excellent figure. The sculpt and paint apps are dead on and IF you already have the V2 SS.....this HT version will be a far stretch to scrap and replace. For me personally, I indend to display my SS Maul fighting QuiGon...and will have my HT Maul riding his bike in his bathrobe....
Yeah, if you’re just a casual fan, I guess get the Hot Toys now. But don’t do Sideshow a disservice by ******** all over what they achieved with the v2 Maul. It was really only missing the cloak and busted saber. It would have been a near perfect release on my end. Still is, as far as shelf presence goes. He’s definitely going to be the hooded one on my shelf. The Sideshow Jango will be the Geonosis variant, flying to his death. :lol

I’m a Darth Maul fanatic. I noticed it within the first week of playing the game.

Sideshow’s looks more cartoonish to me. It’s not a bad sculpt/paint job but you can always kinda distinguish their figures from Hot Toys. They tend to look like caricatures to me more. I will agree the open mouth sculpt on this figure is a bit odd though. I get what they’re going for but it should be more of a gritted teeth snarl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the SSC v2. There is nothing cartoony about it in person. Far from it.

Sideshow is pretty much bad at everything from their 1/6 protos to production pieces, to the sabers drooping on their PF's. I really don't know why people keep falling for their shenanigans.
Gonna have to agree with this. Version 2 Maul is the exception to the rule though. Jango would have been great—if his legs didn’t fall apart from bending them at the knee. :lol

The problem I have with Sideshow pieces a lot of times is that they take "artistic liberty" with their figures and basically that's used as an excuse for why something doesn't look like what its representing. Sometimes their stuff is decent but I think they miss the mark a lot more than they hit it.
Hot Toys literally does the same thing...

The HT sculpts remind me more of Maul from TCW. Neither the HT or SS versions really say Ray Park to me. If they really wanted to nail it, they should have sculpted Ray Park's face and then painted it as Maul.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back