Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pirates was actually one of the first lines when their figure quality really took a turn towards realism back in 2007. HT was small back then, doing mostly older properties like Aliens, Terminator, Robocop, Rambo, etc. When The Dark Knight came out in 2008, the entire world of 1/6 collecting changed, from mass produced products to customs, demand for product was at insane levels and demand for quality went through the roof. Even the quality of conversation around this site changed a lot, where people didn't scrutinize the size of a skin pore on a sculpt for accuracy. For a time, it actually made me resent the movie. I've been here since 2006 and really enjoyed those couple years. I still enjoy coming here but I'm more selective where I participate because I don't enjoy the tone of many conversations. The shift in the hobby also introduced a lot of entitlement people to join forums and bring a bleak attitude. I'm glad Pirates threads are still a realm for fun.
Ye be right, MaulFan! Pass the rum!!!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Finally put my order in for his with the $50 code SS sent me so this came out to the same price as the DX06 :yess:

Pirates was actually one of the first lines when their figure quality really took a turn towards realism back in 2007. HT was small back then, doing mostly older properties like Aliens, Terminator, Robocop, Rambo, etc. When The Dark Knight came out in 2008, the entire world of 1/6 collecting changed, from mass produced products to customs, demand for product was at insane levels and demand for quality went through the roof. Even the quality of conversation around this site changed a lot, where people didn't scrutinize the size of a skin pore on a sculpt for accuracy. For a time, it actually made me resent the movie. I've been here since 2006 and really enjoyed those couple years. I still enjoy coming here but I'm more selective where I participate because I don't enjoy the tone of many conversations. The shift in the hobby also introduced a lot of entitlement people to join forums and bring a bleak attitude. I'm glad Pirates threads are still a realm for fun.
Very well said MaulFan. I lurked for awhile starting in 2008 b/c of TDK and didn't join until I finally got to customizing and needed pointers a few years later. But the attitudes and conversations here has changed so much since then. Which is why I mostly lurks now instead of posting
Ugh, TDK...
:lol 10years later and ppl are still making the "perfect" Ledger Joker :slap: I honestly feel that this board is the reason I just couldn't enjoy TDK figures anymore.

A lot of Jokers joined the board in 2008.

But it wasn't just that. There was an explosion of "customizers" who went AWOL as well which added a lot of anger to the already impatient, "dark" group here over the four years after TDK. During that time, there was also the surge in prices due to HT entering the market. And then of course there began the focus on key franchise characters and repeats and the dreaded "upgrade" that has now become the norm. All frustrating components.

I still like to blame the Jokers.

The HT Davy Jones is what brought me to this forum. Davy was one of my main collecting things at the time and I frequently googled "Davy Jones figures" to see if anything new was coming out. Google showed me the HT figure and the link brought me to this forum. I looked at the figure and was floored at how good it looked. I went to read the first post and one of the first comments I read was "Davy's crab claw isn't the right shade of red. it's too bright!"

That's when I knew what I was in for here :lol

I still enjoy coming here but I'm more selective where I participate because I don't enjoy the tone of many conversations. The shift in the hobby also introduced a lot of entitlement people to join forums and bring a bleak attitude. I'm glad Pirates threads are still a realm for fun.

I'm sure I'll regret saying this since I'm still new here, but I hear you. I've looked through old threads where some folks practically do nothing but complain about the product and/or holler "This company didn't make exactly what I want so this product is garbage!" And sadly, lots of folks still do this today. Even in this very thread, you and I seemed to be the only people who thought the Beast Kingdom Black Pearl was a decent product. Everyone else was just trashing it because... it's not Hot Toys, I guess. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here and it's nothing personal against anyone.

From time to time, the level of entitlement here irks me as well, and I really wish that there was a "threadcrapping" rule on the collectibles boards... But Facebook is far worse. :rotfl

I don't think that many people trashed the black pearl i think most (me included) were making fun of the wording in the description. I would joke around about any product that was described like that :lol

Nothing wrong with the product itself IMO.

LOL even I made fun of the way it was described. I just seem to recall a couple folks straight up saying that it was an absolute piece of junk. :dunno

A lot of Jokers joined the board in 2008.

But it wasn't just that. There was an explosion of "customizers" who went AWOL as well which added a lot of anger to the already impatient, "dark" group here over the four years after TDK. During that time, there was also the surge in prices due to HT entering the market. And then of course there began the focus on key franchise characters and repeats and the dreaded "upgrade" that has now become the norm. All frustrating components.

I still like to blame the Jokers.
I can't disagree with you there :lol :duff:
The HT Davy Jones is what brought me to this forum. Davy was one of my main collecting things at the time and I frequently googled "Davy Jones figures" to see if anything new was coming out. Google showed me the HT figure and the link brought me to this forum. I looked at the figure and was floored at how good it looked. I went to read the first post and one of the first comments I read was "Davy's crab claw isn't the right shade of red. it's too bright!"

That's when I knew what I was in for here :lol

I think we all had a moment like this before when first looking on this board :lol

In regards to HT though, my first experience with even noticing HT was oddly AWE Jack Sparrow but only b/c I could only afford the Zizzle figure at the time, and was using the HT images as reference to try to upgrade my Zizzle figure to the HT level. but for me it was through eBay listings that I drooled over wishing I could afford it.

I remember being on the board back then, as well. Joined in 2005, not too long after I got into 1/6th scale SSC and Majestic Studios' Dark Shadows figures. I remember the initial Pirates releases, they were my first discovery of Hot Toys, as that was the first license they had that interested me.

TDK definitely seemed to change things. I jumped on the bandwagon briefly with the first release Batman and Joker, but I sold them not too long after I got them and didn't have any regret in doing so. That was one of my earlier "don't buy something only for hype" lessons. I've never bought anything Batman since.

My experience started with the ALIEN.
I started collecting after seeing a McFarlane Queen Alien figure at Gamestop.
After being at the Spawnboards for years and collecting Terminator stuff...I saw a "coming soon" image for HotToy's 1st Movie Masterpiece figure. At the time I thought $85 for 1 figure?! These guys must be crazy!
Shortly after talking a lot about the figure, I got it as a gift and was hooked.
Nothing else on the market at the time had so much detail.

I decided to stop when the prices seemed to continuously go up by $50-$60 with each new release. I still think of the T1000 and Marcus figures and wonder how we managed to get basically 2 figures in 1.
Eitherway, I'm far more selective now. I think both the community and the manufacturers got carried away in all the hype.

Nothing against those who like Superheroes, but to me HotToys interest in them marked the downfall for all other licences.

The likeness looks eerily spot on here. Looking good IMHO! :)
e2f9180e7b1d86bb432b759f8adf146a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The likeness on the serious head is great, if they can keep working the smirk head to the same level it'll be a definite upgrade over DX06.

This figure looks great!

Never owned a Hot Toys Jack. The original Medicom Jack has withstood the test of time and is the only movie licensed figure of theirs I still own. The rest have crumbled, sadly. It was one of my first 1/6 figures, so I'm very hesitant to move him off the shelf.

Two things are stopping me from doing so with this release. First, those pants... can they be tucked in to replicate his traditional look? Lastly, that base is massive. Will he come in a typical Hot Toys sized box and all those pieces just snap together? Or do you guys think he's gonna have a DX style box with huge chunks of the base laying inside?

Honestly, I'm hoping they've abandoned those giant boxes. The tall, narrow ones are okay, such as the one Vader and Chewie come in. The closet I keep packages in is busting at the seams. Where do you all store your ****, lol?

You throw them away? o_O

I usually keep collector packages. When you move it makes things easier in transit and safer. Just takes longer to pack, lol. I could never dump my 1/6 boxes. I would die. :lol

I haven't thrown anything away, but each time I get a figure, and space becomes that much more of an issue. I consider putting the box in the shipper and just forget about it so that I throw it away with the shipper.

This figure looks great!

Never owned a Hot Toys Jack. The original Medicom Jack has withstood the test of time and is the only movie licensed figure of theirs I still own. The rest have crumbled, sadly. It was one of my first 1/6 figures, so I'm very hesitant to move him off the shelf.

Two things are stopping me from doing so with this release. First, those pants... can they be tucked in to replicate his traditional look? Lastly, that base is massive. Will he come in a typical Hot Toys sized box and all those pieces just snap together? Or do you guys think he's gonna have a DX style box with huge chunks of the base laying inside?

Honestly, I'm hoping they've abandoned those giant boxes. The tall, narrow ones are okay, such as the one Vader and Chewie come in. The closet I keep packages in is busting at the seams. Where do you all store your ****, lol?

with some futzing the pants more than likely can be tucked into the boots. Can't see why they wouldn't be able to.

As for what kind of box he comes in, none of us can know that :dunno pretty sure the base comes apart though. For my personal preference though, I hope he comes in the typical nice DX box with foam inserts and such.

Last edited:
Back