Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys DX Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Just watched the trailer again...I think the color on his jacket is spot on. Not sure what you're seeing. I do agree about the smirk headsculpt tho. Not a great likeness.

Jack's coat is a unique fabric that mixes shades, but ultimately, it's a shade of grey with a hint of brown to it, the best representation I've seen to date has been the NECA POTC 3 7" figure, Funko just put out a Dead Men Tell No Tales Pop that captured it well and the upcoming Diamond Select figure does a good job too. HT's coats have always come out like a milk chocolate brown which is the wrong shade.

3.jpg

I will probably get this since I missed out on the original DX. Rehashed parts aside, that base is what sells it for me. :rock

I missed out on the original, so I might be in for this. I don't like the base at all. Would put him on a standard stand with an EVILFACE decal. Just don't know if I will want to pay the $270+ for this since they slapped the DX label on it.

I hate those type of dio stands. And this might be the worst one from HT yet based on how damn busy it looks. The Shark and water ruins it, so unnecessary. Kinda underwhelming. The Wheel that came with DX06 however is one of my favourite ones.

Wonder if they'll be an exclusive🤔

Sent from a point in space and time

To me, the most worrying thing is the mix of sculpted and rooted hair. I, personally, have never been a fan of rooted hair on these figures. As good a job as has been done with some of the Black Widow figures, I still don't think they look all that good. It would really be a let-down if the color of the rooted hair is off, or there is too much or too little of it. Just too many risks, why take the gamble?
On the flip side, as great as the original DX Sparrow is, I'd have to assume that the paint/realism will be better on this figure. But that original one is one of the best figures they've ever made, and the demand is high, so I'm not surprised that they are releasing this...

I'm super excited for this! I was recently wanting to pick up a 2nd DX so I could display with the jacket off so think this is a win win! :thud:
I'm not 100% sold on the smiling head the DX06 smirk is better. :dunno

I wish they had changed the expression I do like the normal sculpt though! :panic:
I'm really excited to see that the DX line is back I'm wondering if they will keep this going?

I'm really impressed by the base that comes with it and the fact it comes with moveable eyes! :panic:

Looks good to me. Makes sense to tweak and re-release this guy, as this is a popular character and the other DX was one of the top handful of HT figures ever made. But these movies are mediocre, so no interest from me.

Well, I'm excited. I wasn't in the hobby at the time of the DX06 and I've always wanted a Jack in the collection. I do prefer the 06s base but this ones pretty freakin cool. If I had to change anything I'd drop the shark from the base. It's undersized and makes things too busy. Outside of that I love it.

Has anybody noticed that they've done away with Pers system?

"Two (2) interchangeable faces with patented Interchangeable Faces Techniques (IFT), separate rolling eyeballs"

Which means the eyes will be controlled separate. :lecture

Instant purchase, as I never had the original DX and had sold off my Cannibal Jack figure many years ago.

If the original DX does go drastically down in price, I may pick up that one as well.

Now bring on Barbossa!

Barbossa would be nice but we'd likely get the weird ass version with the court wig. lol

To me, the most worrying thing is the mix of sculpted and rooted hair. I, personally, have never been a fan of rooted hair on these figures. As good a job as has been done with some of the Black Widow figures, I still don't think they look all that good. It would really be a let-down if the color of the rooted hair is off, or there is too much or too little of it. Just too many risks, why take the gamble?
On the flip side, as great as the original DX Sparrow is, I'd have to assume that the paint/realism will be better on this figure. But that original one is one of the best figures they've ever made, and the demand is high, so I'm not surprised that they are releasing this...

DX06 heads had a great likeness, but there is something about them that doesn't feel as lifelike as some of today's portraits and that was really the only place to enhance upon DX06.

I get the calling this a rehash, but really, with his appearance not changing much from Stranger Tides, there's no way to make a good Jack without recycling a lot from DX06 since it was done so well then, and improving a few areas.

I'm glad he includes a rum bottle, i had to give up the one from the MMS when I sold that figure, but I like it for posing options.

Maybe it's the photo angle, but that smiling sculpt is a little creepy. I hope it gets tweaked further before release.

he looks amazing! im a little on the fence about the smirk as well. a hint of the han solo smirk in there. but hell that normal sculpt is spot on! def purchase being that i sold my old dx sparrow

I think the original is better overall but this one have real hair going for it.

old one looks better, i can see johnny depp in the old HS. New one kinda.

dx06.jpg

Back