Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys DX Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Just preordered. Man waiting to for years to get this will be painful.

I missed out on the DX 06, and, after seeing those test shots from JC...dammit. I still feel like CotBP was the best of the Pirates franchise, but, in terms of that character being represented, I'd find such a release unlikely and this looks damn good. I really hope the movie doesn't suck.:lol

What discussion, the smirk head still looks creepy, something is off with it, not likeness, just how the expression comes off. Neutral head has looked fantastic from day one.

I just realized what looks off, the eyes. Seeing them side by side, can't help but think if the neutral head eyes were on the smirk head, he'd look better.

DX06 did it right, his eyes look serious, which sells it as a smirk.

11757387763_064ec97d6f_o.jpg

Look at these photos of Depp smirking.

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

The current eyes look more like this face, which makes the smirk look creepy.

IMG_4149.JPG

Last edited:

For my own scoring I previously scored the figures 2 for the 15 and 1 for the 06... giving the 15 the advantage on the base and the neutral sculpt but giving a point to the 06 for the smirking sculpt...now it is a clean sweep that for the DX15. Definitely the stronger smirk sculpt too making DX15 my choice for best Jack Sparrow figure! Well done Hot Toys! In fairness we should not be surprised that the figure that marks the return of the DX line years later is an improvement over the sixth DX figure.

Hot Toys DX Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

I was thinking that too when I saw that picture. The eyes should be a little narrower on the smirking head. Hopefully they tweak it before release. But even if they don't, I'm still excited for the figure. I'll be happy to have both sculpts.

I'm happy enough with the serious face, and they may keep working the smirk head. The other issue I see with them side by side is the left side of his mouth on the smirk head is curved in a slight smile, which also makes him look creepy. I may snag a DX06 smirk head just to have a good one for certain, given that the hair piece on DX15 looks like a modded DX06, the old face would likely attach to the new hair.

That sounds like an idea, and hopefully the DX06 head will indeed fit in the new hairpiece. The old smirk sculpt looks pretty good.

I've seen it mentioned before, and I agree that the smirk reminds me of the new Han Stormtrooper. The way it's sculpted looks quite similar.

Photoshopped the elements from the neutral portrait that I've been saying would alter the expression on the smirk head to make it look like a smirk.

DX15.jpg

i have the dx06 and love it... one of my favorites. if i had to choose, just from the pix so far, i'd take the dx06 as it screams captain jack to me perfectly! and that's not biased... as i'd gladly buy a better figure if i had one already. but there are so many display options and with a little creativity and a few bucks, you can make a display that pops! i did some custom ship flooring and some bits to go with it... makes one hell of a display!

glad they are redoing this and giving it the treatment that looks really good so far for those that don't have the dx06! you guys will love him!

Those are some great accessories! I've seen the DJ heart but haven't been able to find a chest looking that great. Nice work!

I'm not seeing the big deal with the smirk. Jack is sort of a creepy dude anyway. lol At least the likeness is there in this smirk shot, unlike the prototype pics. Stoked about having him in the collection. The wait will be ridiculous.

Why rooted hair HT?

I'm looking forward to the after-market faces that are sure to follow

Well I have the dj heart coming in the mail to display along with the dx15 once it arrives next year. I know it is different movies but think it will display well next to the dx15

The smirking expression looks a bit better than it did in the proto pics, but it still looks slightly off and as MaulFan pointed out, I also believe it's the eyes doing it. The DX06 smirk still looks superior in my opinion. Perhaps they'll rework it indeed, but I think regardless of how it turns out, I'd still display him with the serious expression.

That's not new, it's part of the official photos at the start of the thread.

Back