Hot Toys- DX14- Mime version Joker... didn't see this coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow don't like the sculpt if im being honest DX08's sculpt expression looks much better.

Really? I think it looks just as good if not better than the first.

jokercomparison.jpg

I may not like the option choice, but it looks fantastic. This would be fine if it wasn't a DX. The clothes, headsculpt, tailoring, fit, hat and everything are really well done. I keep looking at the hi-res spec pics and it's growing on me more and more.

The option is a "wtf" choice, but the actual figure is nothing short of brilliant (other than the under body suit again). Take away the stupid steps and City Hall background, give it a second clothing option with a different head and it'd be perfect. Nothing wrong with the figure on it's own. Hopefully they price this. If it's $260 or $270 or whatever they can go **** themselves.

I thought the sculpt looked absolutely brilliant...better than DX08's.

:dunno its great don't get me wrong, Nicholson through and through just i don't know just something about it. Prefer the first release grin over this i suppose that's just me though

Oh, I prefer the grin too, and the regular purple look.

But there's no denying that they achieved this through and through.

[ame]https://youtu.be/X-1GHMNH24w[/ame]

Maybe the lips painted more like the DX08 it may then be good as a second head to pick up to use with the DX08. Would have still much prefered a Returns figure for the 14 though considering it was going to be batman themed.

Oh, I prefer the grin too, and the regular purple look.

But there's no denying that they achieved this through and through.

https://youtu.be/X-1GHMNH24w

Oh yeah definitely they have achieved the look and scene they wanted to. They are shady at times but there is no doubt HT are good at what they do .

I thought the sculpt looked absolutely brilliant...better than DX08's.

I can't decide which I prefer... But they are both amazing in my eyes. And that pic up there shows they are 2 completely different sculpts as well. Anyone who thinks they just changed the mouth on the original needs to look at that comparison.

Because that the way it has to be.

This 1000%. I am not sure what is expected here- They are following the film. If they deviate just to differ it from the DX08, then they are going to stray from the source material. Who wants that?

Sallah

I can't decide which I prefer... But they are both amazing in my eyes. And that pic up there shows they are 2 completely different sculpts as well. Anyone who thinks they just changed the mouth on the original needs to look at that comparison.

Sallah

:exactly: :goodpost:

Meh. I think it looks pretty great but isn't needed in my collection. Also have no idea how that can take up a DX slot.

Watch the movie. He doesn't come with anything but the pen. DX Shmee ex. We all know the cost of this will be high because of Nicholson's outrageous licensing fee. And you know what? I don't care! :yess:

You are kinda my new best friend. :1-1:

Sallah

Interesting choice! Congrats to the big Joker fans. Hopefully HT doesn't **** you with the price on this bare bones DX

This 1000%. I am not sure what is expected here- They are following the film. If they deviate just to differ it from the DX08, then they are going to stray from the source material. Who wants that?

I think the main gripe is the choice. I don't think anyone would be complaining if this was a regular MMS figure and not a DX. Since it is a DX, the choice is odd for some people and they expect a little more.

Luke comes with two whole options. The very first DX 01 Joker had an alternate costume option and head. I can see where people are coming from, especially if this is pricey. That's what it comes to really, what's this guy going to cost?

If we disregard the fact that it's a DX, then yeah, it's fantastic. It really is. I don't think anyone is denying that. It's a killer figure.

It would have been cool if they gave him a M1928 and a gripping hand to carry it. Sure, he didn't fire it in the film but it'd help round it out and make it scene appropriate. Better than two pointless extra quills.

M1928.jpg

800px-Batguns4.jpg

Besides, we never saw Batman's ninja stars or the time bomb in the film and they included them.

Out of all the looks in the film they go with the mime...

I was sure we were going to get Mob Joker.

I wanted this ****

1233215502.jpg

Hell, they could of even thrown in a melting face and beret aswell.

But no, lets just dye the old Joker,close his mouth, give him THREE quills and a new hat so we can slap a $300 price tag on him.

Man, when they showed the first 89 Joker I said I would buy any other version, apart from the Mime. And they do the Mime. :lol

On it's own this figure looks great, the sculpt is fantastic even if it is a reused slightly different version of the first, and I like the hat, but as a DX its a joke.

It's evident now that DX can just equal PERS(and a fat arse box). Although I am eagerly waiting for the DX15 semi battle damaged Batman, then the DX16 slightly more semi battle damaged Batman, then the DX17 almost fully battle damaged Batman, then the DX18 Bob the goon.

**** da PERS.

Eh, whatever.

Last edited:
Difabio, I think they initially did plan for something different and fancier, but reigned it in after the sales from the first release became apparent. They probably think this is more interesting looking than flesh toned mob version.

I still don't get why everyone takes it as a fact that the DX08/ DX09 didn't sell well. I have said all this before, but I think it is worth re-posting it here.

Sure, the DX08 can still be had for retail price at many outlets... but I think that has more to do with Hot Toys knowing there would be a HUGE market for these and producing a quantity sufficient to cover such a demand.

We shouldn't all assume because the figure is readily available that is by any means an indicator that it wasn't a hit. It just means they made enough this time. When I think of pictures of collections, I almost always spot the pair of 1989 Batman DX figures in there... Even if it is there only representation of Batman (that is the case for me). And I think these (along with Reeve Superman) were "gateway" figures for many current Hot Toys collectors. A lot of people became aware of Hot Toys thanks to these. I even know many folks who count those 3 releases as the ONLY Hot Toys they own.

There was such pent-up demand for high-end quality representations of Keaton Bats, Nicholson Joker, and Reeve Supes. It had built for literally decades... I am sure Hot toys took that into account when they decided on their production numbers. That is why you see SO many of them. They made a ton, and people bought a ton.

And seeing them available on the boards for reasonable prices or at retail shops doesn't mean a hill of beans to Hot Toys. They have already counted those sales. They have already counted those numbers and cashed those checks for every one you see at retail. What a buyer (be it the end-collector or a retail shop) does with it after it leaves their warehouse doesn't affect them in the least, since they have already been paid and counted that figure in their overall sales. Most retailers saw the demand and ordered accordingly, even if it meant having stock to sell later on down the line... As these still consistently sell.

It is like comparing Avengers Hawkeye with Joker and saying one did better for Hot Toys than the other. Sure, Hawkeye is sold out everywhere and goes for tons of money now, while Joker can still be had for retail price. Does that mean one was successful and one was not? No. It means they didn't produce as many Hawkeyes because they didn't perceive the demand to be as high for him as Nicholson Joker (rightly so) and produced a quantity that didn't end up meeting demand. With Joker, they did... And probably made a lot more money because they had A LOT more units to sell to retailers. Secondary market means nothing to Hot toys... wholesale does. And with wholesale, the more units you sell, the better off you are. So more DX08's out there means more that Hot Toys sold.

I truly believe those Keaton, Nicholson, Reeve trio were massive sellers for Hot Toys as a company. I think the only reason we haven't seen anything else from this license up until now is what many folks have already said: They have other stuff on their plate that takes precedence. Iron Man and the Avengers are HOT right now, so it makes more sense to release those now and maximize profit. The folks that want 1989 and Returns now will still want it in 2014, so there isn't any reason to spend resources and time on that for Hot Toys.

And what is the first figure we see immediately after they have basically run through the deluge of Avengers/ Iron Man stuff? A 1989 Joker... And one that would take the least resources to get out fast.

Sallah

Last edited:
Everyone just buy this so that HT takes it as a sign that they should make a gangster/no makeup Nicholson Joker.

Back