Hot Toys- DX14- Mime version Joker... didn't see this coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(...)
It would have been cool if they gave him a M1928 and a gripping hand to carry it. Sure, he didn't fire it in the film but it'd help round it out and make it scene appropriate. Better than two pointless extra quills.
(...)
M1928.jpg

(...)

Think you might like this one:

F5.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111066859589

There are a few offers like this on ebay. :hi5:

it looks good but it is going to be a pass for me, the original is more iconic, and thats what i go for with my collection.
i do think that it will have trouble selling as the assessories that it has or doesnt have will be the killer for it.

I'm not a Nicholson Joker guy but I like it when HT does figures like this. "Who asked for this?" The answer is "somebody" even if it's not you. And I see it as if they'll do this for a couple random fans then I might be the "somebody" who gets catered to with a future release. Icons are awesome, but it's also fun to get more obscure/alternate looks as well that cater to the most hardcore fans.

So it shouldn't be a DX and it'll cost too much or whatever. These are all overpriced toys regardless of the moniker and someone out there will just skip a couple other purchases to make way for this treasured entry into their collection. I'm fine with that.

Can you imagine if they teased this figure by showing the top hat? Everyone would have been like 'OMG! PENGUIN!'.
:p

I still don't get why everyone takes it as a fact that the DX08/ DX09 didn't sell well. I have said all this before, but I think it is worth re-posting it here.

Sure, the DX08 can still be had for retail price at many outlets... but I think that has more to do with Hot Toys knowing there would be a HUGE market for these and producing a quantity sufficient to cover such a demand.

We shouldn't all assume because the figure is readily available that is by any means an indicator that it wasn't a hit. It just means they made enough this time. When I think of pictures of collections, I almost always spot the pair of 1989 Batman DX figures in there... Even if it is there only representation of Batman (that is the case for me). And I think these (along with Reeve Superman) were "gateway" figures for many current Hot Toys collectors. A lot of people became aware of Hot Toys thanks to these. I even know many folks who count those 3 releases as the ONLY Hot Toys they own.

There was such pent-up demand for high-end quality representations of Keaton Bats, Nicholson Joker, and Reeve Supes. It had built for literally decades... I am sure Hot toys took that into account when they decided on their production numbers. That is why you see SO many of them. They made a ton, and people bought a ton.

And seeing them available on the boards for reasonable prices or at retail shops doesn't mean a hill of beans to Hot Toys. They have already counted those sales. They have already counted those numbers and cashed those checks for every one you see at retail. What a buyer (be it the end-collector or a retail shop) does with it after it leaves their warehouse doesn't affect them in the least, since they have already been paid and counted that figure in their overall sales. Most retailers saw the demand and ordered accordingly, even if it meant having stock to sell later on down the line... As these still consistently sell.

It is like comparing Avengers Hawkeye with Joker and saying one did better for Hot Toys than the other. Sure, Hawkeye is sold out everywhere and goes for tons of money now, while Joker can still be had for retail price. Does that mean one was successful and one was not? No. It means they didn't produce as many Hawkeyes because they didn't perceive the demand to be as high for him as Nicholson Joker (rightly so) and produced a quantity that didn't end up meeting demand. With Joker, they did... And probably made a lot more money because they had A LOT more units to sell to retailers. Secondary market means nothing to Hot toys... wholesale does. And with wholesale, the more units you sell, the better off you are. So more DX08's out there means more that Hot Toys sold.

I truly believe those Keaton, Nicholson, Reeve trio were massive sellers for Hot Toys as a company. I think the only reason we haven't seen anything else from this license up until now is what many folks have already said: They have other stuff on their plate that takes precedence. Iron Man and the Avengers are HOT right now, so it makes more sense to release those now and maximize profit. The folks that want 1989 and Returns now will still want it in 2014, so there isn't any reason to spend resources and time on that for Hot Toys.

And what is the first figure we see immediately after they have basically run through the deluge of Avengers/ Iron Man stuff? A 1989 Joker... And one that would take the least resources to get out fast.

Sallah

Agree with all of that.

I'm sick of people saying "it didn't sell well", "it didn't sell well". How do people know that? We don't know how many they made, what factors go into it, etc. etc. I can't speak for anywhere outside the U.S, but here, it's sold out. Sideshow doesn't have anymore, Alterego doesn't have anymore, Cornerstorecomics, etc. etc. The only place that does is Toy Anxiety and it's just a couple of parts that is slim pickens. This was all under a year mind you.

Besides, just because a figure doesn't sell out doesn't mean it was a success. The best example is the Christopher Reeve Superman. It took a long time to sell out, sure, but I don't think there was a single collector that passed on that one. Everyone seemed to have owned it at some point or another. Is that not a successful release?

It seems like now a days, if something doesn't sell out in a 2 or 3 months it's considered a failure. I just don't get that at all. What are we looking at to dictate this, secondary market prices? DX 08 is a YEAR old, that's it. On ebay right now it's pretty much the same MSRP price it was from retailers, give or take 10 or 20 bucks. We should also keep in mind that EVERYONE of those figures on there has been bought in some form or fashion.

So yeah, I don't get it. Hot Toys even said it themselves in the announcement for this one that "The first DX series Joker Collectible Figure from Batman has received high praise from fans and collectors".

If it wasn't a success, why would they make more?

I'm not a Nicholson Joker guy but I like it when HT does figures like this. "Who asked for this?" The answer is "somebody" even if it's not you. And I see it as if they'll do this for a couple random fans then I might be the "somebody" who gets catered to with a future release. Icons are awesome, but it's also fun to get more obscure/alternate looks as well that cater to the most hardcore fans.

This.

I didn't want this Uncle Bingo/Mime version, I would have preferred a different look, but there are clearly folks that do.

And I agree, I love the more obscure options that Hot Toys' offers. It makes them unique. I'm still waiting to hear about the USO Captain America. I'm not sure why they haven't followed up on the status of it.

It also beats the hell out of another Iron Man figure but at this point, I think we'll all complain about anything, even if Hot Toys or any other collectible company is doing right by us. :lol

I may grab a xtra joker head to use with this new one. Looks like would work just as well..

Really? I think it looks just as good if not better than the first.

jokercomparison.jpg

I may not like the option choice, but it looks fantastic. This would be fine if it wasn't a DX. The clothes, headsculpt, tailoring, fit, hat and everything are really well done. I keep looking at the hi-res spec pics and it's growing on me more and more.

The option is a "wtf" choice, but the actual figure is nothing short of brilliant (other than the under body suit again). Take away the stupid steps and City Hall background, give it a second clothing option with a different head and it'd be perfect. Nothing wrong with the figure on it's own. Hopefully they price this. If it's $260 or $270 or whatever they can go **** themselves.

I think it'll be higher than that...it's HT- they are going crazy on upping msrp prices of late. This figure(and I'm a huge 89 Batman fan) is the easiest pass in recent memory...

So it shouldn't be a DX and it'll cost too much or whatever. These are all overpriced toys regardless of the moniker and someone out there will just skip a couple other purchases to make way for this treasured entry into their collection. I'm fine with that.

:goodpost::clap

It would have been cool if they gave him a M1928 and a gripping hand to carry it. Sure, he didn't fire it in the film but it'd help round it out and make it scene appropriate. Better than two pointless extra quills.

M1928.jpg

800px-Batguns4.jpg

Besides, we never saw Batman's ninja stars or the time bomb in the film and they included them.

That would have been perfect for the Ex. version.

I may grab a xtra joker head to use with this new one. Looks like would work just as well..

Hey that is a pretty great idea! You could almost pull off an Alex Ross look with the original head on the new outfit-

tumblr_mdcvo4nmU81rvm4udo1_500.jpg

Sallah

I don't see what's to get upset about over this release, which so much modern stuff like Ironman, Avengers etc... its refreshing to see a figure like this

the DX 08 and 09 where my 2 first serious HT purchases and they're really the 2 figures that got me really into collecting, I grew up with those 2 characters as Batman and Joker, I personally love this figure, my only turn away from getting it would be a more than crazy HT price

This is a weird, random off-the-wall release, and I like it for exactly that reason. HT is showing that, despite the onslaught of Iron Men, they can still be unpredictable.

first one I've seen on Ebay is from a respected seller and he's got it for $270 which would be a shame if that's what its roughly going to go for in the states, only time will tell but it doesn't look good:monkey2

Back