Hot Toys: DX06- POTC- OST Jack Sparrow review and pics (NEW PICS @ POST 85)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys: DX06- POTC- OST Jack Sparrow review and pics (review now live))

Thanks you for the great photo review, wookster!

review_gstdxjack_26.jpg

The most funny thing is that boots and hands on the old giant and the new pygmy versions - ARE THE SAME SIZE. :gah: And someone would say that this figure is perfect? Cmon, guys! I'm pretty happy that you are happy to actually get some new Sparrow, but be honest - there is few very unpleasant issues with this figure. Not old, not new - both are not perfect. New is pretty good, but again - not piece of perfection. And I'm very surprised that the sash on the new one doesn't looks better than the one on the old one. Face replacement also diminish my interest in getting one (coz face with golden teeth - is really piratish one, YAAAGHR!!!). Only Black Peal's capstan keeps me from canceling this one. No negative, see? Just crashed expectations.

WHY, HOT TOYS!?
U ARRRR PART OF MY LIFE!
SO WHY U'R DOING IT TO ME, WHY???

03232009_Room2.jpg

Last edited:

I know its a matter scale but dam the differance is ....

So Wookster, will you be docking off points (or fractions of) for the price in future HT releases? because they only seem to be getting more expensive. The upcoming Batman '89 releases rival the cost of Indy and Jack, and arguably the latter two come with a lot more.

I was surprised reading through your review. Practically all 4 stars in almost every category regarding the physical aspect (including fun factor) of the figure, but then a 3 3/4 for the overall? I understand that you and Mike Crawford don't give final scores as aggregates of each section, but it just seemed odd to me.

This is coming from a casual fan of PotC, I'm not sure I'm even getting this figure. Just curious about your review process.

And, btw, does the new cocked hat fits on the old heads?
Like Captain and Cannibal? Very interested in this aspect.
Coz the size difference between them is so large, but the new hat looks little bit oversized. Who has an old releases? Try, PLEEEEAAASE!

So Wookster, will you be docking off points (or fractions of) for the price in future HT releases? because they only seem to be getting more expensive. The upcoming Batman '89 releases rival the cost of Indy and Jack, and arguably the latter two come with a lot more.

I was surprised reading through your review. Practically all 4 stars in almost every category regarding the physical aspect (including fun factor) of the figure, but then a 3 3/4 for the overall? I understand that you and Mike Crawford don't give final scores as aggregates of each section, but it just seemed odd to me.

This is coming from a casual fan of PotC, I'm not sure I'm even getting this figure. Just curious about your review process.

Just the price dragged it back. It is pretty much a 4 star figure in all other respects. If price is not an issue for you then its a total home run. However if you can score it for $216 it doesn't seem quite so bad, but the full rrp of $240 is a hefty wedge!

And, btw, does the new cocked hat fits on the old heads?
Like Captain and Cannibal? Very interested in this aspect.
Coz the size difference between them is so large, but the new hat looks little bit oversized. Who has an old releases? Try, PLEEEEAAASE!

Yeah, just about. A tad snug, but it fits.

Yeah, just about. A tad snug, but it fits.
Could you be so kind to make one single fine photo, dear sir? :monkey2

hobo-and-dog.jpg

Last edited:

Could you be so kind to make one single fine photo, dear sir? :monkey2

hobo-and-dog.jpg

Sorry, my camera is in my studio and I'm working in London till early next week. If I get the chance (and if I remember) I'll do it mid week for you. If I forget PM me.

That's one sexy SOB. You gotta love the smirk. Now I just have to pick which mini-mart I will rob so I can afford him.

Thats a good point. :lecture

Dont forget about the '89 Joker at $265 too! Christ!

Just the price dragged it back. It is pretty much a 4 star figure in all other respects. If price is not an issue for you then its a total home run. However if you can score it for $216 it doesn't seem quite so bad, but the full rrp of $240 is a hefty wedge!

That's cool, but will this mean no more 4-star reviews for future DX's? I mean, the prices aren't going to decrease from this point on, I expect.

Great review, as always.

Thats a good point. :lecture

Dont forget about the '89 Joker at $265 too! Christ!

Oh, no one is forgetting that, undoubtedly. :lol

scored for $208 :yess:

Five stars! :hi5:

Nice, great price!!!
Sorry you let Indy go, but this figure of the two is clearly superior.

Thanks!
Yeah I still think the Indy figure is nice but I think this Sparrow may actually be Hot Toys best ever work....which is really saying something!

I agree. Considering the amount of mixed media -- metal, pleather, cloth, even suede -- the sheer detail and the fantastic sculpt work, this has to be Figure of the Year at least.

I found that odd too. 4 star after 4 star and a 3 3/4 overall. The review makes me think it should be 4 stars, cause clearly the figure was, even if the price wasn't.

Just read your review, and although I'm not a über-fan of Depp or POTC, this is simply an astonishing figure!
Everything looks perfect to me.
Bravo HT!

Not a flattering angle.

But at least this Jack will be proper scale to Davy Jones at long last!!!

Now what to do with my giant Jack???

Now what to do with my giant Jack???

There is probably at least a 50/50 chance that somewhere in the 5th or 6th movie Jack will fight a giant version of himself. :lol

Back