Hot Toys - DS001A-C - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor Collectible Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - DS001A-C - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor Collectible Specs & P

Friend of mine had the full set of 7. A bit cheap and flimsy, but it's still the best way to display the original 7 as of now.. and I don't think anything better and/or less costly will come along for the time being (unless Play Toys releases something soon - but based on the success of their recent Mark VI, they will probably focus on producing the other Marks before Hot Toys gets around to reissuing them).

If you have reward points / store credit, you should definitely take advantage and purchase direct from Sideshow. I think they are even offering free-shipping for the full set of 7. Based on the member feedback, you may possibly get a faulty set and it'll be good to be covered by Sideshow's customer support/service. I don't think this is something you'd want to pick up later on from eBay or the resell market in new condition, cause you won't be covered most likely.

I think they have a good amount left in stock. While the set of 4 and 1 are already on Sideshow's Last Chance page. Doesn't SS also have some kind of event coming up this month? You may want to hold out a few more days and see if they add any more discounts to the set of 7 so you get it even cheaper, further the currently offered free shipping.

Re: Hot Toys - DS001A-C - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor Collectible Specs & P

The price was high until they reissued. If you are a big fan of the first seven suits and have all the diecasts it's definitely worth the money to display them this way.

I'll add, while others claim it's the "best way" to display the original 7, I disagree. The quality of these pieces simply is a fraction of $400 Iron Man figures. I see them as a total disservice to the engineering and finish of the actual figures. The HOAs have almost no paint detail. The vast majority is straight plastic. And it looks plastic-like too. It's like pulling up to a date with a 10 in a little tykes vehicle. Plus space is an ordeal. Fitting all of the HOA pieces takes up a LOT of space over 7 individual figures.

But that's my view, and I know I'm more in the minority there. I do feel it's important you hear it before committing $700 for a full set though.

I'll add, while others claim it's the "best way" to display the original 7, I disagree. The quality of these pieces simply is a fraction of $400 Iron Man figures. I see them as a total disservice to the engineering and finish of the actual figures. The HOAs have almost no paint detail. The vast majority is straight plastic. And it looks plastic-like too. It's like pulling up to a date with a 10 in a little tykes vehicle. Plus space is an ordeal. Fitting all of the HOA pieces takes up a LOT of space over 7 individual figures.

But that's my view, and I know I'm more in the minority there. I do feel it's important you hear it before committing $700 for a full set though.

Much agreed with your statements :wink1: To clarify, I guess I meant its the 'best way' to display them if you are looking specifically for a hall of armor / stark armory display set-up. I dont know of any other 1/6 hall of armor thats out in the market currently, other than the one thats provided by Hot Toys. I think Danoby2 made a custom one, but that's a different story. Personally I think the Marks would look alot better in standalone poses, with a combo between iconic scenes and some unique dynamic stances (e.g. Suit-up pose for Mark V, Reindeer games pose for the Mark VI, etc. etc.)

Much agreed with your statements :wink1: To clarify, I guess I meant its the 'best way' to display them if you are looking specifically for a hall of armor / stark armory display set-up. I dont know of any other 1/6 hall of armor thats out in the market currently, other than the one thats provided by Hot Toys. I think Danoby2 made a custom one, but that's a different story. Personally I think the Marks would look alot better in standalone poses, with a combo between iconic scenes and some unique dynamic stances (e.g. Suit-up pose for Mark V, Reindeer games pose for the Mark VI, etc. etc.)

That's definitely fair, and I totally didn't mean to call you out on the "best way" thing. A lot of folks used that rhetoric, seems you were most recent. All good my dude. Maybe I've just never understood the HOA appeal anyway? Personal tastes I suppose. There was a KO one at some point which had some good quality of life differences like the way the wiring and lighting access was done.

I agree it's a crime to not have a suit up or action pose on the Mark V! As someone who's figure it still sealed...but nevertheless the thought counts!

That's definitely fair, and I totally didn't mean to call you out on the "best way" thing. A lot of folks used that rhetoric, seems you were most recent. All good my dude. Maybe I've just never understood the HOA appeal anyway? Personal tastes I suppose. There was a KO one at some point which had some good quality of life differences like the way the wiring and lighting access was done.

I agree it's a crime to not have a suit up or action pose on the Mark V! As someone who's figure it still sealed...but nevertheless the thought counts!

:hi5:

You have the Mark V still sealed?? You need to crack that baby open! Sold mine off to Red Wolf but DANG it was a beautiful armor... pictures didn't do it justice.

I contemplated on the HOA for a good bit, but never ended up pulling the trigger. Ideally I wanted everything behind glass and there was no way I was going to get everything to fit in a detolf at the time :rotfl

But I do understand the general appeal though, from both the comic and mcu standpoint. Its interesting to see Stark's progression from Mark 1 to whatever in the movies and it's sorta cool to see all the different armors lined up and ready for battle at any time, even with their boring museum poses lol

0d03920f85be25441d89a2c318003c26.jpg

Extremely classy and well-done Sir!! :clap :hi5:

Love how all the poses are delicately balanced so that you don't need to use any display stands / support.

I don't think you need to change a thing =)

:hi5:

You have the Mark V still sealed?? You need to crack that baby open! Sold mine off to Red Wolf but DANG it was a beautiful armor... pictures didn't do it justice.

I contemplated on the HOA for a good bit, but never ended up pulling the trigger. Ideally I wanted everything behind glass and there was no way I was going to get everything to fit in a detolf at the time :rotfl

But I do understand the general appeal though, from both the comic and mcu standpoint. Its interesting to see Stark's progression from Mark 1 to whatever in the movies and it's sorta cool to see all the different armors lined up and ready for battle at any time, even with their boring museum poses lol

I do! Ideally, much like you, I wanted a single detolf with all my Iron Man figs in it. I think it would really pop and just be a very vibrant unit. You make good points into the appeal of the HOA. Maybe if there was more translucency to them that made them showcase the armor more, then I'd find them appealing.

Curious you didnt see the appeal of the HOA and you think displaying them in them versus posing them is a disservice why did you buy them? For not the faulty light and it looked/felt cheap would you have kept it?

Excellent question. I saw the discussions on it and figured that with a coupon I would try one set while free shipping was available. I thought perhaps I could cap a detolf with one on top and pull out an extra armor for display. I wanted to give the set a fair shake, but it just didn't live up to it.

I would have made every effort to get a return on it once I had gotten into the box. The fact it had electrical issues was a fortunate coincidence that helped me get rid of it. I don't think I'd have wanted to keep it even if every surface was painted in the end. I can't adequately stress how much of a box the thing is. It's just a big chunk of plastic that's not particularly solid feeling.

The solicitation photos do a very good job of illuminating the figures within, and I don't think the actual product does that as well as advertised. That leaves your lights to highlight a massive box of solid molded plastic plates.

All that to be said, you really supress the beauty of the figures you put in there. They don't get highlighted and in one fell swoop you convert a $400 figure into a backdrop piece. You could have a vac-molded inlay of suits that looks like a figure and it would do the "job" that cost $500 per bay. That just doesn't seem fair for such exquisite figures.

I truly feel that your display is infinitely more elegant and kind to these figures. I sincerely hope you don't box those armors up in HOAs when you have such an open and viewable shelf. Of course it's your choice in the end, but I'd much rather see you get three new figures to photograph and share over a set of 7 bays

When I was looking at SS's holiday sales and coupons, I came to the Wakanda Throne and the HOA. In the end, the Throne is on my shelf and the bay is gone. The former isn't perfect and it certainly isn't worth retail, but at the least it feels like a product which I am elevating my figures in display with.

I guess I must be in the minority to actually enjoy this diorama set. I bought 2 on initial release and gladly bought a set of 4 this time. One complaint I have is that HT put all the wall upside down for all 4 bays when I opened them up. That’s just silly. All the lights worked and once 49 and 85 arrives, my way of displaying and bookending my IM collection will be complete! DC VI, DC VII, XXXIII, XLV, XLIX and LXXXV!

I've been buying these one at a time. Almost every time I had a $25.00 off coupon I would buy one. I would also use some rewards too. So I paid $106.63, $101.30, and $89.57 after taxes for each one. So I am going to be paying way less than the set of 7 plus tax and shipping. At the rate I'm going, I am going to be paying less than $730.00 for the set of 7. But it could be even less, if I use some reward points too.

Issue for me is I'm in CA and the shipping and taxes are a no go for me through SS. I can get this for 799 shipped and no tax.

I just cant decide if I should go down this money pit hole and also acquire the plastic Mark's 1-7.

How do you like your gantry and igor?

Well my goal is to put the plastic Mark's 1-7 in the HOA. The HOAs are free shipping from SS, and SS charges taxes to all states.

Love them both. I also have the Diecast Mark IV and Suit Up Gantry.

I actually like it being plain, it is supposed to be alcoves made with concrete. The construction is actually decent. The sliding walls are a bit tricky to slide out, but at least they try to come up with a way to share walls between alcoves. Not like SH Figuarts, where you get double walls for their HOA! I have seen the full set of seven on display at Secret Base and Shanghai Disney HT Store and I was impressed both times. I am happy with the six I have, can’t wait for 49 & 85 to show in 2022...LOL

Even with SS free shipping it comes out to 836 vs 799. I can save 37.

How do you like the hall of armors? Build, aesthetics, thoughts?

What do you think is a fair price for Igor shipped?

Much like someone else here said I bought mine one at a time through sideshow with $25 off coupons and free shipping. So I only paid $100 for each of them (this was before they charged tax). I feel that was a decent price for what you get. They do feel a little flimsy and look more plastic than other hot toy items. However since I didn?t spend all the money at once I was pretty happy with it. I keep four of them wired and on display. As I don?t have any of the plastic versions of most the armors I had to put my diecast armors in there ( my mark 6 is plastic though). I do have a single one with a heartbreaker in it. I?ll display the other two when I am able to find a mark one a mark three and a mark five. I do fine whenever I go downstairs to work out, as I can?t go to the gym anymore, I always turn them on as they look incredible lit up. I would recommend trying to buy them one at a time for a lower cost than taking the plunge all at once as you may have buyers remorse.

As for the Igor armor I think around 350 seems to be a good price for him. I bought mine last year when big bad Toy store was doing their store credit offer. I ended up paying $500 with $300 store credit which I used to buy more armors. Ended up buying all the armors they had for that deal except the bones.
AAF58FF6-FB41-447D-9BCE-651F600EC9B1.jpgE8855E93-BC12-4FF2-AD76-4D3F9AF034A0.jpg

On Sideshow:
4 bay is $40 off and free US shipping on code ARMOR4
7 bay is $70 off and free US shipping on code ARMOR7
1 bay is automatic free US shipping

Offer expires 4/6/20

Are the plastic ones still worth picking up to put in the HOA or should I skip them and just get the diecast counterparts. I ask bc I already have Mark's 2-7 in diecast and was wondering would it matter considering they'll only be in the HOA.

If I have the resources, I would say go get the plastic ones for HOA and save the diecast ones for posing. But I don’t have that much resources to begin with. The plastic ones are still not cheap these days, I think. I haven’t checked in a long time.

Are the plastic ones still worth picking up to put in the HOA or should I skip them and just get the diecast counterparts. I ask bc I already have Mark's 2-7 in diecast and was wondering would it matter considering they'll only be in the HOA.

To see the difference look at the picture I posted a few post ago. They are all die cast except the mark 6. It gives a good idea what they look like next to the diecast ones (I feel you can not tell a difference in the hall of armor). Only issue I have is the plastic ones can?t have there arms at straight as the diecast ones.

I just picked up another single piece. Used the $25.00 of coupon I had plus $16.00 in rewards. So after tax I am only paying $89.57. So for the 4 pieces I have I am paying an average of $96.77 per piece.

How's everything with you? When I was backtracking through this thread I saw you had acquired this set then sold it. Then only to PO it again and then cancel because of work. Now I see that you have been slowly picking these up again. I hope everything is good for you and going well (for everyone actually).

Everytime I read your comments about what life was throwing at you I felt I was watching a sad movie. Hopefully you have overcame and are triumphing!

Everything is going pretty good. I did get laid off from my old job, did get a nice severance (11 weeks paid) and I managed to get a new job that started a week after I got laid off. I am now at a point where I am not overwhelmed with flex payments. I figured if I can get the HOA pieces on at a time, I am going to save a lot of money. So far I'm up to $99 in savings. But that number will continue to grow the more coupons I get and rewards I can use.
Also my wife and I are expecting our second daughter on April 30th. So hopefully I can keep all of my expenses in check with two kids.

Back