Hot Toys Dog Alien yes or no?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of the dullness on this figure is just caused by handling. I bought one and while trying to get the 2nd leg inserted the damn thing snapped in half. Luckily I was able to get a replacement figure (Sideshow and HT were more generous back then) and I noticed right off the bat how much shinier the new one looked compared to the old. With the effort of trying to get the leg on I'd essentially rubbed off a good deal of the gloss.

2nd time around I knew a few more tricks and was able to get it assembled with out any breakage or loss of finish.

It was... can definitely look cool on a shelf, but good chance you'd break something while putting it together and/or when posing it :lol

Not to mention I'm sure some of them have started rotting.

Don't get it. The rubber on all Hot Toys aliens figure will start to deteriorate after 5-6 years. ALL my aliens started deteriorating around that time, so I unloaded all of them.

i disposed all of my HT aliens, poo-ey edition.
the doggy i kept in my collection. even bought a pre-owned doggy and it was like a dog shedding its hair BALD and DULL.
P1010331.jpg

thanks to this thread and some dab of modge podge stuff as what the folks suggested here:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3563790&highlight=dog+alien#post3563790

big improvement:
DSC_0733.jpg

Did you put the mod podge on the dome? mine finally arrived today and its dull but the worse is the legs are very loose at the hips, apart from that I do really like it

Looking good but i've read sometimes modpodge can get sticky i rather use tamya clear gloss :)

mod podge is sticky. dont apply a thick amount, just a light dab on the dull areas. otherwise it will cake, like glue residue if you put too much.

and NO, dont put it on the dome. i left the shiny bits(what's left) alone. :]

^ Fosing is correct. I stupidly tried applying Mod Podge to the dome of my Big Chap (he was already basically trash by this point anyway), and that was a baaaad idea. :lol

And yeah, use very small amounts. If you use too much it will dry white instead of clear.

Applied some Mod podge today the difference is amazing, had a couple of sections it dried white specks but that adds to the figure as the suit had white specks on it

mod podge is sticky. dont apply a thick amount, just a light dab on the dull areas. otherwise it will cake, like glue residue if you put too much.

and NO, dont put it on the dome. i left the shiny bits(what's left) alone. :]

i did my dome i think i looks more natural looks slimy instead of shiny

but thats me ill have to post pics of all my aliens with the mod podge ,i even use it on my predator , i use it on almost everything different amounts different shine i love this stuff

i did my dome i think i looks more natural looks slimy instead of shiny

but thats me ill have to post pics of all my aliens with the mod podge ,i even use it on my predator , i use it on almost everything different amounts different shine i love this stuff

I for one would like to see those pics

Guys, how many of you still have your HT Dog Alien? Any chance you can update us on its condition, shine and – if there is any – deterioration? Any pics?

Did you treat it with anything? I know about Mod Podge, but does it last long/5+ years, does it have any side-effects? How about Honda's silicone/rubber treatment products?

Also, how do you put the leg in, it seems like it's a proper challenge to do it without damaging the socket or leg, and rubbing it's shine off.

Many questions, I know. But I'd really appreciate any and all inputs as I've got one on its way and want to treat it right to avoid a short lifespan.

The rubber on mine is still holding up, but the sheen is gone.
As for the leg, I muscled mine in but I heard the heat treatment works too.

The rubber on mine is still holding up, but the sheen is gone.
As for the leg, I muscled mine in but I heard the heat treatment works too.

Thanks for the reply, mate That's great news. So no deterioration whatsoever? Do you have any recent pics of it?

How come you didn't treat its dull-itis btw?

Back