Hot Toys - DeLorean - Mod ideas & Resources

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! I got some primer on the Mr. Fusion. I took some shots on the Delorean too for scale. I'll make the changes above and upload for sale on Shapeways in the next few days. I might hollow out the Krupps a bit to save on material since right now it's solid. Glad there are others out there interested, my wife thinks I'm crazy :rotfl
20180215_034325.jpg20180215_034206.jpg20180215_034252.jpg20180215_034300.jpg20180215_033138.jpg

I would say the base needs to be shortened just a tad. It looks like fusion is too high, not by much though. However we do have to contend with the reactor still being there. Still, very nice touch and painting it shouldnt be difficult either. Will hunter be able to provide 1/6th decals i wonder

Hey guys! I got some primer on the Mr. Fusion. I took some shots on the Delorean too for scale. I'll make the changes above and upload for sale on Shapeways in the next few days. I might hollow out the Krupps a bit to save on material since right now it's solid. Glad there are others out there interested, my wife thinks I'm crazy :rotfl
View attachment 393756View attachment 393757View attachment 393758View attachment 393759View attachment 393760

Looks amazing! How much sanding and finishing was involved?

I would say the base needs to be shortened just a tad. It looks like fusion is too high, not by much though. However we do have to contend with the reactor still being there. Still, very nice touch and painting it shouldnt be difficult either. Will hunter be able to provide 1/6th decals i wonder

How big a pain is it to remove the reactor I wonder? Seems like once you can get it out, it should then be easy enough to switch between the two different looks.

Is it possible to get the yellowish plastic cleared up? New to 3D printing.

@davejames

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg

To take the back apart is not easy and much more risk than the front.

Thanks, I'll take some better picture with a ruler, the camera/angle makes it look a bit higher. Also, i stuffed a few sheets of cardstock under the base to make it level which added a bit of overall height.

Looks amazing! How much sanding and finishing was involved?
Thanks! All the pieces except the base piece was printed in frosted extreme detailed. The base was printed in frosted ultra detail. All pieces required very little cleanup. I soaked them in hot water and soap to get the printing wax off and lightly weety sanded with 400 grit paper. The clear parts I will wet sand up to 1000 grit, maybe higher.

Is it possible to get the yellowish plastic cleared up? New to 3D printing.
I've gotten that material pretty clear on my Knightmare Batman goggles, so I don't anticipate an issue here. I'll know more once I get the proper sand paper.

Is it possible for you to print the reactor cover too?

Yeah, I could model that up too. You can print in aluminum, although might be pricey :/

Almost done with updates, and then ill make live on Shapeways. :)

20180219_094628.jpg20180219_094640.jpg20180219_094515.jpg20180219_094553.jpg
Okay I got some measurements and I'm finalizing the model which is almost ready to upload to Shapeways. I'm starting work ohh the reactor cover now as well. I also whipped up a license plate, which is printed on reflective mirrored vinyl. Looked pretty cool in person.

So Shapeways is the site where they will print it up for you, right? And doesn't require you to have your own 3D printer?

I think I might have ordered something from them long long ago, but can't remember anymore.

So Shapeways is the site where they will print it up for you, right? And doesn't require you to have your own 3D printer?

I think I might have ordered something from them long long ago, but can't remember anymore.

Yeah, I don't think ill get enough orders to cast these up, so for now Shapeways can print 3d in many materials.

Yeah, I don't think ill get enough orders to cast these up, so for now Shapeways can print 3d in many materials.

I have 3D printers, including a Prusa MK3, but I'm assuming these are SLA and not FDM? The detail looks too high.

I have 3D printers, including a Prusa MK3, but I'm assuming these are SLA and not FDM? The detail looks too high.
Shapeways uses a Multijet Modeling (MJM) process, which prints using wax and uv cured acrylic polymer. Very high resolution, 16 micron layer height. Not to say these couldn't be printed in less detail.

Shapeways uses a Multijet Modeling (MJM) process, which prints using wax and uv cured acrylic polymer. Very high resolution, 16 micron layer height. Not to say these couldn't be printed in less detail.

Guys! This new member looks to be the hit of the year! You should all send friend requests, flowers, name your first borns after him etc.

Fantastic work Lriendl and WELCOME to the board! :duff

If we ever establish a way to order one of these I’m totally in. Would love the license plate as well! Bravo!

If we ever establish a way to order one of these I’m totally in. Would love the license plate as well! Bravo!
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/lriendl14

I added the four needed models to my shapeways store. i tried to hollow out the models where i could to eliminate needed material. I myself printed all of the four models in "Frosted Ultra Detail". The Black Singer Base i have offered in Black plastic, which is considerably cheaper. This isn't a terribly detailed piece, so I aim thinking it should do okay with the cheaper material, but i personally have not printed the Singer Base in the material. I have also included this in the Frosted Ultra Detail material as well.
Singer Base.jpg
The Krupps piece does need to be a bit more detailed, so I offered it under "frosted Ultra and Extreme Detail". I have altered my original model to add the screw holes on the passenger side. i added a hole to align the coffee grinder cup. I also added to lower knob on the backside. I added the cheaper material here too, the White plastic, but again i have not printed this model in this material. i have printed the white plastic before, it is a bit grainy and may lose some of the knob detail.
Krupps.jpg
I altered the latch as well. In BTTF 1 we see a smaller release handle within the latch, and in BTTF2 and 3, that handle has been broken off. I originally printed the latch and the small hinge that attaches to the Singer Base as two parts, but i wanted to attempt to print as one piece (latch and hinge). since i am not sure if the pieces are large enough to actual hinge, i offered them as separate pieces as well. So you get 4 latches. I included a better detail piece that will attach to the Singer Base as well. i can make this as one piece to save a few dollars upon request.
latches.jpg
And finally the clear parts. the top part has not changed. The cup i added in a "peg" on the bottom to line up with the Krupps grinder. The clear parts come frosted, but with a bit of sanding with high grit sandpaper 1500 or 2500 and a light coat of Clear Gloss spray paint, it will turn of crystal clear.
clear.jpg

I took all the mark-ups off to get this the lowest price it could be.

Well I have made two prototype license plates.. I'll post pictures of those in a bit :)

Guys! This new member looks to be the hit of the year! You should all send friend requests, flowers, name your first borns after him etc.

Fantastic work Lriendl and WELCOME to the board! :duff

LOL Thanks @KingGrayskull ! I am glad that I can help others!

Back