Hot Toys Clone Wars Figures coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious to the reason for the debate of "realistic" over "animated".

If the teaser picture they have posted is the figure to be released, then it is certainly a "realistic" figure. The phase 2 armour and belt that Rex wears in clone wars looks absolutely nothing like the armour on that teaser figure.

It is the same as the armour from the movies.
So, unless they are doing some bizarre hybrid, then that is a "realistic" Rex, and likely realistic other characters.

Very disappointing for me, as I hoped if they did them then they would be like the spidervers figures with authentic animated styling.

Not really sure I can see the point of "interpretations " of the characters, surely people actually want figures to look like how the character ACTUALLY looks? Isn't that the point of hot toys?

Can of worms indeed. Would they make two different Cody figures? Two of every PT era character? Because it would be odd to mix and match real with animated. This will end badly, with either huge collection gaps or more likely just a couple one offs. Where the F is Han and Lando?

Lol. I remember when Cody was announced everyone lost it and thought HT would make every damn clone. So far nothing except Cody a year later, and even he hasn't been made yet.

I hate they've been dragging their feet with Rex's dad:lol

Actually, I don't know even why Hot Toys likes to show figures with a 75/25% chance that they won't even go into production with them. Does Howard just like to show off his custom figures in public?

I hate they've been dragging their feet with Rex's dad:lol

Actually, I don't know even why Hot Toys likes to show figures with a 75/25% chance that they won't even go into production with them. Does Howard just like to show off his custom figures in public?

Yeah I thought for sure Jango would have been one of the lucky ones to make it to preorder by now.

It would be nice if they included both animated and realistic heads to please both camps. The spiderverse figures make me fear theses will be animated but surely HT would want to follow SS and Hasbro’s lead in doing realistic versions to go with the rest of everyone’s collections?

This has me hopeful Rebels won’t be far behind and we can finally get a Thrawn!

I doubt they will mix and match within a set of figures. That Rex tease is a realistic version, so you would imagine that they will all be realistic versions.

As for SS Rex phase 2.....that is still a great looking figure. I don't see a quality difference from that figure to my hot toys star wars figures, it stands up in my opinion.

That's why I was hoping for animated style, as I wouldn't bother with a second realistic Rex. As that is an "interpretation", i may as well stick with the SS "interpretstion". Both equally non-valid!

I haven't watched The Clone Wars yet but I want to. That said though I don’t intend to collect the figures.

It would be nice if they included both animated and realistic heads to please both camps. The spiderverse figures make me fear theses will be animated but surely HT would want to follow SS and Hasbro’s lead in doing realistic versions to go with the rest of everyone’s collections?

This has me hopeful Rebels won’t be far behind and we can finally get a Thrawn!

An animated head on a realistic body is probably no use to anyone though as it wouldn't hit the mark for any particular camp.

I have all the Sideshow Clone Troopers.
I?m happy with them, especially with the different boots Sideshow gave them for shooting poses.
I?m hoping for an animated looked for Ahsoka too.
When Sideshow did Waxer,Boil and Numa and they gave Numa a realistic look that was a let down.

I don't really mind which route they take, I would never display Rex without his helmet, it's too cool not to have it on.

In case you were in doubt, from left to right, today's teased Rex, the Sideshow Phase 2 rex, and finally clone wars phase 2 Rex. The sideshow is a "realistic" interpretation....and the teased Rex pretty much matches it. Neither figure are anything like the animated version.

I agree Chris, but his animated helmet and a realistic version are also very different.

Different shape, different visor, different mouth, narrower, smaller base.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens, but suspect hot toys may have saved me a lot of money, so I'm happy about that at least.

In case you were in doubt, from left to right, today's teased Rex, the Sideshow Phase 2 rex, and finally clone wars phase 2 Rex. The sideshow is a "realistic" interpretation....and the teased Rex pretty much matches it. Neither figure are anything like the animated version.

Interesting comparison. Could mean design is being dictated by Disney. Why else would HT do Clone Wars figures with the same Sideshow design that doesn't match the cartoon?

The sideshow design for Rex's helmet is just a straight amalgamation of the 2 movie helmets, the rest of his armour is just the movie armour that all clones wear.

So, effectively, the hot toy is the same as the sideshow (neck down at least), so must also be a movie based figure, not cartoon based.

The sideshow design for Rex's helmet is just a straight amalgamation of the 2 movie helmets, the rest of his armour is just the movie armour that all clones wear.

So, effectively, the hot toy is the same as the sideshow, so must also be a movie based figure, not cartoon based.

Yep Zed's right. Clearly movie representation and not animation representation for this line. It's pretty misleading for Hot Toys to brand it with the Clone Wars logo.

But as others have said it will be interesting what they will do for Ahsoka or Cad Bane or other animated characters with no live action reference.

Unless they simply wait on live action Mandalorian Ahsoka, then her potential spin off show for a younger version (assuming that is set when she was younger). But that is a looong wait.

Nice! That confirms they're going the realistic route then. Easy to slip them in with the ROTS figures.

I'm a couple of seasons behind, how present were Bacara, Gree, Bly, and Neyo in the show?

I find it interesting that so many people are throwing out there that they want so many different characters from TCW - Ventress, Opress, Cad Bane, Ahsoka among a bunch of others popping up in the early pages of this thread. Honestly, I can't see this an an indication that we're getting anything more than Clone Troopers. And even there, we know how bad HT is about finishing lines, so if we get anything more than Rex and Fives, it's automatically a win. That said, these Clone Troopers are going to be very easy for HT to make different versions of, which is probably why they're doing it.

I would love a Padawan Ahsoka and I've been wanting Mace Windu for years. Hell, I've always loved Plo Koon. I'd want all of them. But I can't see them doing any of them right now. Maybe they'll make them when they revisit the PT again, because we know there's more PT figures that need to be made, but for right now, I can't see them touching anything outside of maybe Ahsoka from the show.

If they can do Spider-Verse figures, then they can do Ahsoka.

When I saw the Spider-Verse figures my mind immediately went to Clone Wars.

They're doing figures from the Animated show, why would you hope for realistic HS ?

It's interesting. I don't think SSC did that well with their realistic interpretations of the cartoon. That Anakin especially leaves much to be desired.

Ahoska & Rex Day 1 PO. Guess I don't need Cody anymore.

I would imagine they'll dip into this season first and then move backwards so you might get a Cody re-release?

If people are willing to pay same money for animated head sculpts on a a HT, then HT really found the cash.

It'd be hard to pass on some designs. The Mandos for sure.

The teaser pic points to realistic due to the proportions on the pic. They have the bodies and the Cody headsculpt so it would be easy on Hot Toys' part to mass produce with different colour schemes/minor armour adjustments.

The teaser is just that a teaser. It could have been thrown together relatively fast to meet their internal deadline to tease for the day but the actual final figure could be completely different. They do it all the time with headsculpts.

It would be nice if they included both animated and realistic heads to please both camps. The spiderverse figures make me fear theses will be animated but surely HT would want to follow SS and Hasbro’s lead in doing realistic versions to go with the rest of everyone’s collections? This has me hopeful Rebels won’t be far behind and we can finally get a Thrawn!

I still think it's going to be animated. The Spider-verse figures aren't too cartoony, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something that is more realistic but has the cartoony vibe to it.

Back