1/6 Hot Toys BW Movie Taskmaster

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously not current ones, which will be short lived. Movies need to be timeless. When you inject current year social politics into movies they become dated and do not have the longevity that defines so many classics.

Sure, but how much of what we see in movies is injection and how much is simply a reflection of the contemporary society.

If you watch films from the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, there are a lot things/norms/beliefs/interpretations portrayed that clearly were thought to be timeless when they were made but were not.

It is hard to know what will stick/endure and what ideals or beliefs will be fleeting.

I was just about to reply with a similar response made above. Simply, none at all if possible other than those related to the story at hand rather than reflecting real life at the time.

Scifi/Fantasy movies & shows particularly should be made for escapism. To watch and have fun and not be reminded of any current climates. There's a reason some movies are timeless and others already not. When a movie is about made up fictional non human beings, certain tropes do not need to be included what so ever.
I hear you, particularly when it comes to certain genres unless it is an important elem at of the story.
That said, when politics and or social commentary are included I just think most people are probably ok with it when it corresponds to their own point of view, but when it clashes they don’t want to see it.

So, anyway, how about those figures 😂

Sure, but how much of what we see in movies is injection and how much is simply a reflection of the contemporary society.

If you watch films from the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, there are a lot things/norms/beliefs/interpretations portrayed that clearly were thought to be timeless when they were made but were not.

It is hard to know what will stick/endure and what ideals or beliefs will be fleeting.
reflection/injection is not that much of a meaningful difference in theory, but in practice they are very different and no one usually complains about reflection, which is usually neutral but still date a film, though not usually to the point of detriment. Injection though is more cynical and is detrimental. Provided a movie focusses on timeless story elements/themes (such as the heroes journey, love, loss and so on) it can be enjoyed throughout the eras even if it reflects the era it was made. If however it has too much current year politics (such as orange president bad/ trans debate/ white men bad yadda yadda) no matter which direction it points politically it becomes a story of its time. The equivalent of comedy movies like "epic movie" or "scary movie" that rely heavily on references, they immediately put a countdown in their relevancy as after a decade no one remembers that Ipod advert they were spoofing or that reality TV star they were mocking. Those movies become painfully unfunny and dated. The same applies to culture and politics being prominent in movies/shows. I do not mean depicting politics in itself which is fine (that is just reflecting reality), no, I mean more having socio-political values in the film/show, a message so to speak. If the theme is universal (something that speaks to the human condition such as surviving grief) it can work, if it isn't (such as current political movement good, x group bad) then it fails the test of time.

I honestly get more invested in media that deals with politics. While Marvel movies are fun, they ultimately feel meaningless to me when compared to stuff like TDK or even their own shows like Daredevil. The Boys is also way more entertaining than anything Disney+ has ever put out.

This movie was mediocre ultimately because of DisneyMarvelfying. If it kept the tone of the intro and dove deep into the politics, it could've been something interesting. Instead everything was surface level and eventually diminished by the end.

Last edited:
Yes, depicting politics is fine and can be entertaining as I said, giving a film a particular current year socio-political slant is almost always to the detriment of the story. It is the difference between depicting politics and being political, two things that usually get conflated both when attacking and defending film/tv. A story can contain a lot of politics without being political.

funny thing is, the person in the clone armour in the Obiwan Kenobi show opening was a woman, so would it be appropriate to have a female body in the clone trooper figure?????? (not seriously wondering that of course, but funny how female stunt actors exist and yet BW used a male Stuntman to play a female character... I am sure that Taskmaster was not originally going to be revealed as Olga. I think she was brought in late during re-writes. thing is, despite being older than Scarjo she was playing a woman much younger (Scarjo was an adult when Olga's character was a schoolgirl) so obviously not much thought was put into it at all.
Yes, I recall bringing this up in the movie discussion thread when the movie came out. But I thought her being older than ScarJo was easy to get past, as the scarred/disfigured appearance of her character hid that fact quite well.

D0F8DA0F-0B85-4720-9448-430E01BA5FE5.jpeg

Really solid figure, I like the look of the Taskmaster suit a lot. I've severely curtailed my 1/6 purchases for the most part but I have been tempted by this one, maybe someday. I do have the SHF in the meantime

Kb8ZZaW.jpg

I did end up ordering this one over the various holiday sales from Timewalker, $199 I think with free ship (ie its in my unofficial Timewalker "loot pile"). Whenever Subzero comes in I'll finally get everything all at once

They're probably going to change the design come Thunderbolts. I'll wait to see the design. By then, this figure will most definitely be closer to lower $100s, similar to Mandarin.

With tax and shipping it still came in under $200 which seemed pretty reasonable to me.

I'm not likely investing in the Thunderbolts line and based on the concept art the shield looks to have changed deco a bit and that's about the extent of it.

Either way pretty excited to get this one in hand. Probably be hanging out with my spidey collection and deadpool. :yess:

Task Master has arrived! I still really love this costume and the figure is great in hand.

Being not so attached to the story change up in the MCU, the kitbasher in me is thankful I don't feel too bad messing with it a bit.

Been trying different guns and accessories to add. This has been my favorite and will likely stay on my shelf this way...
20230113_114221-01.jpeg

Picked this up with the 35% Black Friday discount and $5 shipping. Plus with the use of some rewards I needed to use, got it for $86 shipped. Love adding another villain to the collection regardless of the MCU portrayal. This figure was done well and stands in nicely for whatever Taskmaster you want it to be.

Back