Hot Toys Bespin Han speculation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could even argue that two of those aren?t essential in Hot Toys? eyes. They?ve already done ROTJ Vader in quarter-scale, and the Biker Scout (albeit slightly different from the OT) in The Mandalorian line. The other three though are all extremely essential pieces. I?d also consider the TIE Fighter Pilot an essential missing OT figure.

I?d also add Slave Leia to that list. I think she?d be the biggest selling Leia figure by far, but whether the weird rumours surrounding merchandise from that particular look are true or not remains to be seen. No Bespin Han announcement yet though is a complete mystery.

I?d also add Slave Leia to that list. I think she?d be the biggest selling Leia figure by far, but whether the weird rumours surrounding merchandise from that particular look are true or not remains to be seen. No Bespin Han announcement yet though is a complete mystery.

We will never see a slave Leia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard speculation Harrison Ford won?t let anybody use his likeness anymore?

Totally false.

This is just people trying to reverse-engineer logic into why HT hasn't made this figure yet.

Hasbro is still making Han figures. and has released, I think, three figures since HT originally teased this one.

No Bespin Han announcement yet though is a complete mystery.

Seems pretty simple to me. They're just trying to get the head right. They've done three (four if you count Indy) at this point, and they all were varying degrees of suckage.

And with most things, timing is everything. A Bespin Han will sell at any time. An IG-11 will not sell two years from now, a Remnant Empire Biker Scout will not sell two years from now. So they make what's hot right now, and slot the classics into their production schedule when there are gaps.

Could be that Hot Toys felt disrespected when Ford trashed their figure on TV. That’s a big deal in their culture.

I see no other reason why they wouldn’t be making a lot more figures of arguably the most popular SW character of all time, along with Luke and Vader.

You could even argue that two of those aren?t essential in Hot Toys? eyes. They?ve already done ROTJ Vader in quarter-scale, and the Biker Scout (albeit slightly different from the OT) in The Mandalorian line. The other three though are all extremely essential pieces. I?d also consider the TIE Fighter Pilot an essential missing OT figure.

Right now I?d say no they aren?t.

The Vader and Scout I would imagine they would hold onto until closer to ROTJ?s 40th in a couple of years time, especially the scout as that would eat into the Mando versions market share - example I?m tempted to grab a single Scout closer to release it it?s still available but a ROTJ version I?d be tempted by the version with the Speeder Bike.

The only 2 figures there which would make sense is the ESB figures to go with the other recent releases from that movie.

Could be that Hot Toys felt disrespected when Ford trashed their figure on TV. That’s a big deal in their culture.

I see no other reason why they wouldn’t be making a lot more figures of arguably the most popular SW character of all time, along with Luke and Vader.

I don’t buy it as some cultural thing. Granted I’m a bloody Americanized Chinese person with only tenuous roots in Hong Kong. I don’t think the issue of face saving really translates to toys getting destroyed on tv. Not saying it wouldn’t piss them off to some extent, but not enough for them to pass on making money. Probably as much as if any of your lovingly made art pieces was trashed.

For the life of me I don't understand why the decent knockoff companies will do Marvel stuff but not Star Wars. A Slave Leia that is even average would sell like crazy. After her they should make a generic Hoth Rebel Trooper.

For the life of me I don't understand why the decent knockoff companies will do Marvel stuff but not Star Wars. A Slave Leia that is even average would sell like crazy. After her they should make a generic Hoth Rebel Trooper.

Yeah the closest I have is that slave Leia kit that AC Play put out. It’s decent and does the job, but there’s vast room for improvement. And yeah a Hoth rebel soldier would be incredible, one of my most desired for HT to make.

We will never see a slave Leia.

I asked the team at Hasbro about the whole Huttslayer Leia thing, and they confirmed that there is in fact no directive from Lucasfilm/Disney barring them from making merchandise of Leia with that outfit.

I asked the team at Hasbro about the whole Huttslayer Leia thing, and they confirmed that there is in fact no directive from Lucasfilm/Disney barring them from making merchandise of Leia with that outfit.

I don?t think it?s in writing anywhere....I think that the PR fallout just being possible is enough for them to just avoid the issue all together.

I mean why risk a HUGE backlash over it for a few guys who play with dolls?

I don?t think it?s in writing anywhere....I think that the PR fallout just being possible is enough for them to just avoid the issue all together.

I mean why risk a HUGE backlash over it for a few guys who play with dolls?

Backlash from whom? A handful of morons on Twitter? It would go unnoticed by normal people. A Leia toy in her movie costume is not worthy of ANY backlash nor is it headline news.

I heard speculation Harrison Ford won’t let anybody use his likeness anymore?

Totally false.

This is just people trying to reverse-engineer logic into why HT hasn't made this figure yet.

Hasbro is still making Han figures. and has released, I think, three figures since HT originally teased this one.

I think it's Ford as well from what I've seen. Hasbro =/= Hot Toys. There's a guy who works for Disney/Marvel Studios and he's hinted that it's Ford. I asked about some other actors who also had Marvel Legends but not Hot Toys and his response was basically people want/should get more money for highly detailed/expensive figures as opposed to retail $20 figures. They allow some but not others. So it's not a simple 'we have the Star Wars license, we can do whatever we want.' I mean does every think Hot Toys is THAT stupid? It was the 40th Anniversary of ESB, you have to know they WANT to do it.

I think it's Ford as well from what I've seen. Hasbro =/= Hot Toys. There's a guy who works for Disney/Marvel Studios and he's hinted that it's Ford. I asked about some other actors who also had Marvel Legends but not Hot Toys and his response was basically people want/should get more money for highly detailed/expensive figures as opposed to retail $20 figures. They allow some but not others. So it's not a simple 'we have the Star Wars license, we can do whatever we want.' I mean does every think Hot Toys is THAT stupid? It was the 40th Anniversary of ESB, you have to know they WANT to do it.

Be careful about what you're arguing, the first person said Harrison Ford isn't allowing anyone to use his likeness, I responded that that's false, noting that Hasbro is making Han figures. Apart from that, the idea that Harrison Ford would prevent a licensee from using his likeness would be absolutely devastating to the Star Wars brand. That would mean no Han in comics, posters, stickers, toilet paper, whatever. It simply would not be allowed to happen.

Much has been made of the fact that the original Star Wars actors don't have approval rights over the merchandise. I don't see how that would've changed. Maybe they do for the new movies, but I doubt it's retroactive.

Your second point is basically what I said in the section of my post that you didn't quote. Hot Toys is making a better Ford sculpt than what they've already done. Whether that's because they know it's not good enough, or Disney is telling them to is largely irrelevant. I doubt Disney cares one way or the other. I tend to believe Hot Toys knows they need to raise the bar, that their last few attempts have not been good.

So in this thread we have:

1. It's Hot Toys's fault for whatever reason not wanting to make the figure (at all/yet).

2. It's Harrison Ford's fault because he doesn't want companies to use his likeness.

3. It's an Asian cultural issue because Ford broke a Hot Toys Han figure on TV.

4. It's a Disney/LFL licensing issue.

5. It's a royalty/fee negotiation issue.

6. It's an issue with Hot Toys not being able to get the headsculpt right.

7. It's because the actors renegotiated their likeness rights when the ST happened.

8. It's Ford's fault because he's really difficult to get a hold of to approve the likeness.

So in this thread we have:

1. It's Hot Toys's fault for whatever reason not wanting to make the figure (at all/yet).

2. It's Harrison Ford's fault because he doesn't want companies to use his likeness.

3. It's an Asian cultural issue because Ford broke a Hot Toys Han figure on TV.

4. It's a Disney/LFL licensing issue.

5. It's a royalty/fee negotiation issue.

6. It's an issue with Hot Toys not being able to get the headsculpt right.

7. It's because the actors renegotiated their likeness rights when the ST happened.

8. It's Ford's fault because he's really difficult to get a hold of to approve the likeness.

Thread title certainly is appropriate.

I would like to see speculation threads banned, but that's just me.

They've gotten way out of hand at this point.

Back