Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT Batman 1989 Coming

I thought this was pretty cool,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/bF3aKtvQlIM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/bF3aKtvQlIM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of the few fan trailers that I actually like on youtube. Good use of the '89 film and TDK soundtrack.

Holy crap, I wasn't aware that Jon Freaking Favreu acted in Batman Forever :horror :horror :horror

I saw his name in the credits just now as "assistant"

I need to go find him now :lol

*I found him :lol

Last edited:

Yes it was on the set of that film he learned how not to be a good director.

I didn't see nips on Iron Man...and for that I'm grateful.

Yes, and Burton Bats is given more credit than it's due

For MANY years I defended Burton’s Batman because honestly there wasn’t anything like it (film/tv show wise). Kevin Smith made fun of Burton’s Batman film being terrible, and I had some heated arguments about that with a lot of friends (I also can’t stand Kevin Smith films so that didn’t help). Burton’s film was the yardstick for me, of how a Batman film should look … UNTIL June 2005 when I saw Batman Begins. Nolan’s take on Batman changed everything for me because he spends the first hour of that film showing the birth of Batman, unlike Burton’s film, in which they don’t show anything about Bruce Wayne’s struggle. Of course seeing Batman in a film called “Batman Begins” is important but to me the psychology behind the whole thing was more of a draw than the action sequences.

Looking back at Burton’s Batman, it looks dated, everything from the wardrobe to Prince is just damn dated and makes the film really hard to watch, let alone take it seriously.

As much as I dislike Kevin Smith, he was right after all, has Burton ever read any Batman comics? Harvey Dent played by B.D. Williams? “Jack Napier” creating Batman --- Batman creating Joker? Of course all the set pieces toward the end reminded me of Nightmare Before Christmas characters … I mean the whole thing just looks damn goofy now!

Bottom line, Burton’s Batman is given more credit than it’s due IMO vs Dark Knight which was a little bit of everything in the perfect amounts (Crime, Drama, Heist, Action, Comic Book Film, etc.)

Burton Batman vs Nolan Batman. They each got right what the other got wrong. I give the edge to Nolan having the better movies and better Batman.

And in another 20 years we will still be talking about 1989 Batman. and The Dark Knight.

Kevin Smith? Doubt it.

Yeah, I'm really curious on how they're going to go about the scalloped cowl.

Will the cape go under it or will it be apart of the cape like in the film?

In this picture, you can see it folded over his shoulders,

batmankeaton3.jpg

In this one it's under the scalloped part of the cowl,

batmankeaton1.jpg

That head is going to take some unique engineering skills which ever way they pursue it.

Personally, I'd prefer an articulated neck, similar to the Takara only with a well hidden seam. I know in the film he has limited to no neck movement but it would be nice so that the bottom portion of the cowl (with the scallops) is soft to move along with the cape while the actual headsculpt is the hard plastic they use for their portraits.

If the head is one piece, ala TDK OC Batman, the scallops would have to be too. So then you'd have limited cape movement as the cowl would hinder it.
Keaton Bats could kick the _____ out of Bale bats.

Also, I don't think Kevin Smith ever said it was a horrible film. Just that it took huge liberties.

I find the arguments over which Batman film is the best because of how it relates to the source material faintly absurd. I presume people are referring to the comics, in which case there is argument to support Nolan's view of Batman's world. There is also argument to support Burton's. And, like it or not, there's argument to support Schumacher's. Hell, apply a bit of post-modernist literary theory and there's argument to support that Batman and Robin film where everyone's costumes are made out of latex, except for the codpieces which somehow seem not to have even been included in the costumes at all and Robin has lines like "Holy human anaconda Batman!".

The comics inform the films which inform the comics which inform the films. It's a cycle, and there are enough angles to the Batman mythology that pretty much any approach can be viewed as "right" in that it can be supported by some prior evidence. And I'll go out on a limb and suggest that if you can find an angle from which Batman hasn't been approached, based on the success of Nolan's "new" take on the character, Warner Bros. want to hear from you.

So unless people want to discuss them in terms of their relative worth in relation to how they add to the cinematic lexicon, I don't really see how any of the films can be declared right or wrong. And I really don't see how that relates to action figures.

For MANY years I defended Burton’s Batman because honestly there wasn’t anything like it (film/tv show wise). Kevin Smith made fun of Burton’s Batman film being terrible, and I had some heated arguments about that with a lot of friends (I also can’t stand Kevin Smith films so that didn’t help). Burton’s film was the yardstick for me, of how a Batman film should look … UNTIL June 2005 when I saw Batman Begins. Nolan’s take on Batman changed everything for me because he spends the first hour of that film showing the birth of Batman, unlike Burton’s film, in which they don’t show anything about Bruce Wayne’s struggle. Of course seeing Batman in a film called “Batman Begins” is important but to me the psychology behind the whole thing was more of a draw than the action sequences.

Looking back at Burton’s Batman, it looks dated, everything from the wardrobe to Prince is just damn dated and makes the film really hard to watch, let alone take it seriously.

As much as I dislike Kevin Smith, he was right after all, has Burton ever read any Batman comics? Harvey Dent played by B.D. Williams? “Jack Napier” creating Batman --- Batman creating Joker? Of course all the set pieces toward the end reminded me of Nightmare Before Christmas characters … I mean the whole thing just looks damn goofy now!

Bottom line, Burton’s Batman is given more credit than it’s due IMO vs Dark Knight which was a little bit of everything in the perfect amounts (Crime, Drama, Heist, Action, Comic Book Film, etc.)

Lol, just because Burton didnt follow the comics (he clearly did not and gave his own interpretation) doesnt make them bad movies, however they could be seen as bad batman movies, but thats another matter.

Batman comic fanboys cant seem to seperate those things :)

Imo, the burton films keep their magical and mystique to this day so for me they are never outdated to watch again, even after 27 years

Lol, just because Burton didnt follow the comics (he clearly did not and gave his own interpretation) doesnt make them bad movies, however they could be seen as bad batman movies, but thats another matter.

Batman comic fanboys cant seem to seperate those things :)

Imo, the burton films keep their magical and mystique to this day so for me they are never outdated to watch again, even after 27 years

27 years? Where do you get that number from? Or did my nap just run really long?

Keaton Bats could kick the _____ out of Bale bats.

Also, I don't think Kevin Smith ever said it was a horrible film. Just that it took huge liberties.

No, I didn’t say that Smith said that it was a “bad film”, Smith just stated that Burton had never read any Batman comics. At the time, when I used to defend the 89 film, I was irked by that statement big time, but now I can see where Kevin Smith was coming from (despite hating his material :p).

Don’t get me wrong, I still like the 89 film, it just feels very dated now (and I could never stand the Prince music in it even in the 80s), but Nolan resurrected the franchise in a way I didn’t think was possible, because we all remember the 95/97 Batman films … yikes!

As for which Batman would kick most ass, it’s ALWAYS going to be Adam We - NONE of the other Batmen had shark repellent !!! :D
:D

As for which Batman would kick most ass, it’s ALWAYS going to be Adam We - NONE of the other Batmen had shark repellent !!! :D
:D

Nuh-uh, it was that Batman movie I saw where they were all in latex, and...oh, you said kick ass. Never mind, my mistake...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/bF3aKtvQlIM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/bF3aKtvQlIM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of the few fan trailers that I actually like on youtube. Good use of the '89 film and TDK soundtrack.

That was horrible........:monkey4

Nice, i quite liked that too. Made it seem quite "thriller-esque". As in the thriller genre, not michael jackson. :lol

I was actually enjoying the little discussion on the differences between nolan and burton bat-films, was good seeing a few peoples points of view and seeing them respect each others opinions. Sadly it seems a bit like this is descending into more "this versions crap" or "that versions crap". Although i cant actually remember if it was this thread or the scarecorw thread as they have both turned into kinda the same thing now, but thanks to DiFabio and Devilof 76 for some good discussion (There may be others too, sorry if i forgot). As a massive Batman fan its good to have some good conversation about it that doesnt have to feel like its gonna be an argument. :lol :hi5:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back