Hot Toys Back to the Future DX?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see something blow Trevor Grove, Rainman, and Rainman's tailor out of the water, because I've surely never seen it happen yet. But good luck to Hot Toys on that.

Also, bump to help kill off jimmie_dimmick.

I think it happens more than some custom junkies would like to believe, look at the tailoring on Loki, The Mandarin, Agent Coulson, Jack Sparrow, DX11 and so on. Hot toys tailoring is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Not to say they haven't been out done from time to time by the best of the best custom tailors, but not on a regular basis.

Take for instance rainmans taxidriver, ok figure with a dragon level head sculpt and that jacket is mediocre at best, other pieces of the outfit are better but the some of all the parts makes for an average figure with an outrageous price.

Take again the joker outfit made by kado, amazing work but 700 bucks for a 1/6 jacket is mind blowing considering you could have bought the DX11 with kado's outfit and a buttload of stuff it comes with twice. I get the that a custom tailors time factors into the price but pound for pound value and quality hot toys wins everytime.

I think it happens more than some custom junkies would like to believe, look at the tailoring on Loki, The Mandarin, Agent Coulson, Jack Sparrow, DX11 and so on. Hot toys tailoring is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Not to say they haven't been out done from time to time by the best of the best custom tailors, but not on a regular basis.

Take for instance rainmans taxidriver, ok figure with a dragon level head sculpt and that jacket is mediocre at best, other pieces of the outfit are better but the some of all the parts makes for an average figure with an outrageous price.

Take again the joker outfit made by kado, amazing work but 700 bucks for a 1/6 jacket is mind blowing considering you could have bought the DX11 with kado's outfit and a buttload of stuff it comes with twice. I get the that a custom tailors time factors into the price but pound for pound value and quality hot toys wins everytime.

The tailoring is far different man, Kato's Joker coat compared to the one HT produced it leaps and bounds different, also Rainman's Taxi Driver has amazing clothing and "dragon level" sculpt hahahaha.

I personally think Hot Toys does tailoring very well, Sparrow probably being their best work. And I don't disagree that you get value for your dollar--not only in relation to high end custom work, but definitely in relation to Sideshow's often mediocre 1/6 stuff. But I've not seen them really do better than Rainman's tailor. They might get close, but to "blow it out of the water?" That's ridiculous.

The Taxi Driver jackets are both extremely well done, the only quibble is really about the patches, which admittedly could use an upgrade. Have you seen them in-hand, to see the way the interior lining is done, the stitching on the pockets, the elastic bands, the zippers? Beautiful. Same with the McFly. The most impressive piece of that figure, to me, is the denim jacket, which may get overlooked.

And no one does better sculpts than Trevor Grove in my humble opinion. I would say that Hot Toys' record with likeness is about on par with Rainman's own sculpts, and that is to say, maybe 50/50 in the likeness department. They have had about 30 attempts at Tony Stark, and still can't get it. But I'll no doubt buy whatever their McFly figure ends up being, so I do hope they bring their A-team.

As for Kato, Hot Toys couldn't do the coat properly after two different attempts, and so they actually brought Kato on board to do it right. Doesn't that say something?

The tailoring is far different man, Kato's Joker coat compared to the one HT produced it leaps and bounds different, also Rainman's Taxi Driver has amazing clothing and "dragon level" sculpt hahahaha.

How is it really far different, its Katos design produced by hot toys:dunno

As for the the head sculpt on that taxi driver, I'm sorry to tell you its not impressive at all

Compare

1098268_10151540055747344_1507029607_n.jpg

First off, Kato didn't make every one of the Joker coats the public received haha, he made a prototype and then HT had to replicate it, if you see a Kato Joker coat next to the one HT put out you would see how different they really are. As for the sculpts, you are comparing two different liknesses.... show me HT's Deniro or Rainman's Ben Kingsley and then you can have a proper discussion comparing the two, also Rainman has a certain style, now whether you like that is a personal preference, but comparing his sculpts to Dragon... come on.

Yeah, might as well compare Rainman's Butcher to Hot Toys' Indiana Jones while you're at it. Both have hits and misses, as does every other company and most custom artists. But it's irrelevant to the McFly discussion anyway, as Rainman didn't even sculpt a head for him.

I personally think Hot Toys does tailoring very well, Sparrow probably being their best work. And I don't disagree that you get value for your dollar--not only in relation to high end custom work, but definitely in relation to Sideshow's often mediocre 1/6 stuff. But I've not seen them really do better than Rainman's tailor. They might get close, but to "blow it out of the water?" That's ridiculous.

The Taxi Driver jackets are both extremely well done, the only quibble is really about the patches, which admittedly could use an upgrade. Have you seen them in-hand, to see the way the interior lining is done, the stitching on the pockets, the elastic bands, the zippers? Beautiful. Same with the McFly. The most impressive piece of that figure, to me, is the denim jacket, which may get overlooked.

And no one does better sculpts than Trevor Grove in my humble opinion. I would say that Hot Toys' record with likeness is about on par with Rainman's own sculpts, and that is to say, maybe 50/50 in the likeness department. They have had about 30 attempts at Tony Stark, and still can't get it. But I'll no doubt buy whatever their McFly figure ends up being, so I do hope they bring their A-team.

As for Kato, Hot Toys couldn't do the coat properly after two different attempts, and so they actually brought Kato on board to do it right. Doesn't that say something?

I can agree with most of what you said, except for what is now bold and underlined from your post. Hot toys have had a few misses on likenesses before, but from what I've seen of rainmans work, I think most of it I would say he nails a likeness 20% of the time where as I would say hot toys nails it 80 percent of the time. Trevor Grove is the man, no question there, he truely is an asset to the community no question there.

HT is getting more consistently good than they used to be, I agree. But look no further than the new Loki to see how they don't always get it right.

First off, Kato didn't make every one of the Joker coats the public received haha, he made a prototype and then HT had to replicate it, if you see a Kato Joker coat next to the one HT put out you would see how different they really are. As for the sculpts, you are comparing two different liknesses.... show me HT's Deniro or Rainman's Ben Kingsley and then you can have a proper discussion comparing the two, also Rainman has a certain style, now whether you like that is a personal preference, but comparing his sculpts to Dragon... come on.

I know that, but to say they are that different is streching things. I would love to compare two heads they have both done but can't think of any, but if there was I would love to see whos would come out on top.

Yeah, might as well compare Rainman's Butcher to Hot Toys' Indiana Jones while you're at it. Both have hits and misses, as does every other company and most custom artists. But it's irrelevant to the McFly discussion anyway, as Rainman didn't even sculpt a head for him.

So your saying rainmans taxi driver is hot toys indy, then we agree:lol

Like I said, would love to pit them head to head, pun intended, but I can't think of any figure both have done, which is the charm of customs to begin with, they do things manufactors won't. But when hot toys does touch a licence custom guys do, watch the for sale thread light up with the custom version, just look at when the crow was annouced:wink1:

There is no doubt that Hot Toys makes great products, I just think you comparing rainman's taxi driver sculpt to "Dragon level" and saying that hot toys clothing is better than Kato and Rainman's tailor's clothing is far off imo. Also both customs and HTs have their hits and misses, but there is a reason people do pay so much for customs, and it isn't just exclusivity, the quality is very noticeable, especially in hand.

As for tailoring... Kato's Joker coat on the left, HT's Joker coat on the right....

i0ku.jpg

Both look really good, I'll give you that Kato's has better lapels and weathering, aside from that though, both outfits are stellar and considering the price differents, those two very minor changes don't warrent the likely 1000 dollar price hike between those two pieces.

Both look really good, I'll give you that Kato's has better lapels and weathering, aside from that though, both outfits are stellar and considering the price differents, those two very minor changes don't warrent the likely 1000 dollar price hike between those two pieces.

The material is so much better, HT's is so think and look how both coats sit around the shoulders,neck, and waist, Kato's is perfectly tailored where as HT's is huge and doesn't look good haha, also Kato's coat costs $300, not 1k

There is no doubt that Hot Toys makes great products, I just think you comparing rainman's taxi driver sculpt to "Dragon level" and saying that hot toys clothing is better than Kato and Rainman's tailor's clothing is far off imo. Also both customs and HTs have their hits and misses, but there is a reason people do pay so much for customs, and it isn't just exclusivity, the quality is very noticeable, especially in hand.

I never said hot toys makes better clothes than Kado, I said hot toys beats most customs most of the time except for the best of the best 1/6 tailors like kado.

I don't hate customs, don't get me wrong, some are amazing, I have a few in my own collection, best being trevor groves cowboy. I just try and keep things in perspective, and the fact remains hot toys produce so many amazing products for a great value compared to customs, there are times hot toys can be out done by customs but not all that often, and just as true is hot toys can out do customs just as well. Then there's areas custom figure makers can't even touch, like things like ironmonger, the new Robocop or ed209, the 89 batmobile and so on.

Both have there place in the 1/6 world, both have there merits, but also there limits.

Last edited:
For me paying $300 on a Hot Toy which looks great but lacks the quality and charisma im looking for because it was mass produced or say spending $500 on a Rainman H&C set with amazing tailoring, accessories, and sculpt on top of a character that no other company will probably touch, then the choice of spending that extra $200 is easy for me. But like you said both have their place in the 1/6 world

For me paying $300 on a Hot Toy which looks great but lacks the quality and charisma im looking for because it was mass produced or say spending $500 on a Rainman H&C set with amazing tailoring, accessories, and sculpt on top of a character that no other company will probably touch, then the choice of spending that extra $200 is easy for me. But like you said both have their place in the 1/6 world

Not sure about a lack of quality and charisma, in fact I would say hot toys build quality is where they truely succeed, thats why most people scrap the knockoff bodys that come with most customs for a hot toys truetype, make no mistake, most of the extra money you pay is for the simple fact its custom made, small editions, its not profitable any other way with that small business model.

What would rainman do without hot toys????
He steals their bodies, hands, neck plugs, etc..

I'm sorry his prices are retarded and you guys buy it. IMO Rainmans headsculpts are stylized character. Yeah his tailoring is top notch, it's because he only has to make 20_30 of them, hot toys makes thousands.

Mark my words, all the owners of the trev/rainman Marty will buy all of hot toys accessories and possibly the head sculpt. (pers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back