1/6 Hot Toys Avengers: Infinity War 1/6th scale Black Widow collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're obviously not a fan of Mockingbird if you could care less that BW stole her iconic batons. The comic version of Black Widow doesn't use them.

True enough, but I think they want to tone down MCU Widow as her comic counterpart tends to leave a much higher body count in her wake, although MCU Widow certainly has her moments, I feel as if she was most assassin-y back in The Winter Soldier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t get it does she have two vests..some shots looks like she’s wearing a green vest
I think that was just a mistake with the promo shots. I’m guessing the reference that was given made it look green so they ran with it, but it ended up being more grey.
While I was originally gonna pass on this, I’m getting kinda tempted. Luckily the costume is mostly the same, so hopefully I can just grab the vest, head, and weapons to swap onto the CW version.

True enough, but I think they want to tone down MCU Widow as her comic counterpart tends to leave a much higher body count in her wake, although MCU Widow certainly has her moments, I feel as if she was most assassin-y back in The Winter Soldier.

I was actually going to say that I think they gave her the batons so she'd have a bloodless way to deal with foes, then I realized that Winter Soldier is standing next to her in that above image holding a M249. :dunno

If they do make a stand alone Black Widow movie, I hope she's more cold blooded assassin than how she has appeared in previous movies.

I was actually going to say that I think they gave her the batons so she'd have a bloodless way to deal with foes, then I realized that Winter Soldier is standing next to her in that above image holding a M249. :dunno

If they do make a stand alone Black Widow movie, I hope she's more cold blooded assassin than how she has appeared in previous movies.

Good point, I missed that. Thing is, aliens and robots are faceless, non-human cannon fodder so I suppose it doesn't matter how they're dispatched, although her signature pistols are underpowered for the job you'd think they'd give her an upgrade. Melee combat or fantasy-based energy weapons for the most part, Bucky notwithstanding?

You're obviously not a fan of Mockingbird if you could care less that BW stole her iconic batons. The comic version of Black Widow doesn't use them.

She’s had batons in film for years now. It’s not like MB was the the only person in history to use them. If they gave her a sword it’s like someone else. If she had a boa that’s like someone else. Two people can use similar weapons and it not be stealing. War machine wears iron mans suit. It’s fine.

I guess it boils down to what are the defining qualities for the hero? For War Machine, we know that he is using Stark's armor, so that is not stealing from Iron Man. But for Black Widow, her more typical common classic attributes are: red hair, black body suit showing cleavage, Widow bites - wrist bracelets, the red "Black Widow" hourglass symbol on her suit, and some of these attributes are missing in this IW version. They have been replaced by attributes associated with another character - Mockingbird: blonde hair, bodysuit without logo, using batons as her main weapon. While this is obviously still Black Widow, the lines are definitely blurred between these 2 characters solely on appearance.

If you chalk it up to character development, I can buy that, but as someone pointed out, this is not the classic Black Widow look that we are familiar with since IM2. And CW actually had the best classic BW look and best classic look HT BW figure. I'm still getting this IW BW...

I guess it boils down to what are the defining qualities for the hero? For War Machine, we know that he is using Stark's armor, so that is not stealing from Iron Man. But for Black Widow, her more typical common classic attributes are: red hair, black body suit showing cleavage, Widow bites - wrist bracelets, the red "Black Widow" hourglass symbol on her suit, and some of these attributes are missing in this IW version. They have been replaced by attributes associated with another character - Mockingbird: blonde hair, bodysuit without logo, using batons as her main weapon. While this is obviously still Black Widow, the lines are definitely blurred between these 2 characters solely on appearance.

If you chalk it up to character development, I can buy that, but as someone pointed out, this is not the classic Black Widow look that we are familiar with since IM2. And CW actually had the best classic BW look and best classic look HT BW figure. I'm still getting this IW BW...

I’m not saying it’s not a big change. But if you want an interconnected film universe that has ongoing implications this is going to happen I think. She’s on the run, shield doesn’t exist anymore, and the SoS knows what she looks like. For a spy having some kind of recognizable look is bad trade craft...but keeping that look while the people hunting you know it is just a bad idea.

Both characters where badass shield agents who where both spy’s or undercover experts..there’s gonna be some carry over. And the weapons are not person specific or integral to them like say Cap and his shield (also changed btw) or Thor and his hammer (changed) or wolverine and his adamantium (changed).

My point in the start of this was just contradicting that someone said the films don’t get comics because they change the characters up. Not if you like the change, but if the change somehow goes against the essence or spirit of comics. And changing the look or weapons of a character can’t be anymore comic inspired. Thor is now a chick, wolverine is a chick, deadpool is a chick. Wolverine has had is first appearcne hulk 181 suit, an updated three times over yellow suit, the brown suit, his patch persona, the black leather and so on. Prof X was in a wheel chair, then not, then young then dead then other stuff. All of the characters costumes, hair..skin color(nick fury went from old white dude to old black dude) weapons, gender changes. They borrow each other’s identities and weapons (falcon as cap, Bucky as cap). That is comics.

Thats why I said the person is what makes the character..

Im not sure why a character, especially one that specializes in weapons, cant have a baton without somehow infringing on someone else's character...

Makes absolutely no sense...

I mean, defining qualities? Yes, the person has a specific set of values and qualities that make that person who they are...

Again, non-sensical argument from the beginning. "X person can only have this Y accessory or else they will be Z character."

Black-Widow-EW-cover.jpg

The thing is, imo, this was quite the nod to her comics history, she is on the run, she has blonde hair, probably using a fake id, maybe even Yelena Belova, the blonde Russian who was also Black Widow.

And about the batons, she already used some variation of it both in AoU and CW.

Given that everyone else in the movie has a very different look now, it only makes sense that she would too, and obviously Scarlett looks amazing no matter what color her hair is. I'm just not sure yet this is an iconic enough look for the character to be in my collection...

From the looks of it, 1) her pistols are still there 2) the lower body (her belt, holsters, and her boots) is identical to the CW BW 3) Not so sure if the vest is green or gray from this picture...

I would say the whole outfit under the jacket is the same as CW BW. The vest/jacket is definitely green :)

She’s had batons in film for years now. It’s not like MB was the the only person in history to use them. If they gave her a sword it’s like someone else. If she had a boa that’s like someone else. Two people can use similar weapons and it not be stealing. War machine wears iron mans suit. It’s fine.

Yes, and now they're her standard weapons. I wouldn't be surprised if they become the standard weapon of the comic version of BW. I think she's only used her signature gauntlets twice in the movies.
At Marvel the only other character that's been mostly associated with batons is Daredevil, though they're most used in the form of billy club (single long baton) or his now more signature weapon, his nunchuck. Hellcat has used a billy club too on occasion but she's mostly associated with her claws. War Machine uses an Iron Man armor, but it doesn't look much like Iron Man so they're distinguished from one another. The point is, they're obviously doing whatever the hell they want to with Black Widow in the MCU, they could care less if they're encroaching on another Marvel comic character's primary attribute. It's really a trivial issue, I don't loose sleep over it, I have had my HT Avengers BW displayed with her batons at times.

So why did black widow become blonde? Black and red is kind of the hallmark colors of a black widow....

So why did black widow become blonde? Black and red is kind of the hallmark colors of a black widow....

No one knows for sure but at the end of CW she was a fugative and on the run so generally that results in a changed look.

No one knows for sure but at the end of CW she was a fugative and on the run so generally that results in a changed look.

The IW prequel comic seems to suggest that’s the reason for the change with her and Cap.
Also, as others have mentioned, there was a blonde Black Widow so I don’t think it’s that crazy of a change.

Back