1/6 Hot Toys Avengers: Endgame - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's possible to think the new sculpt is garbage and be unhappy with it, and still understand that are most likely many issues at play here beyond "Hot Toys becoming lazy and trying to screw customers over."
Reasonable, non-polarized thinking? You're asking too much of this forum, dude. Clearly it's never a chance of a mishap or licensor intervention, it's all intentional malace and manipulation through a contrived maze of smoke and mirrors.

JC Hong is woefully apologetic on social media, to the point I genuinely feel bad. The dude has always been humble and is always grateful to his production team. It's clear this has bothered him as much as any buyer; it's very likely this got botched somewhere along the line beyond his control. It's ridiculous to me that people can't criticise in a just manner.

Reasonable, non-polarized thinking? You're asking too much of this forum, dude. Clearly it's never a chance of a mishap or licensor intervention, it's all intentional malace and manipulation through a contrived maze of smoke and mirrors.

JC Hong is woefully apologetic on social media, to the point I genuinely feel bad. The dude has always been humble and is always grateful to his production team. It's clear this has bothered him as much as any buyer; it's very likely this got botched somewhere along the line beyond his control. It's ridiculous to me that people can't criticise in a just manner.

Seriously. Inundating JC Hong with hate because a sculpt came out not as nice as you'd like is childish and immature. You expect this behavior from little kids, not grown adults. There's a way to express your disappointment without falling into the caricature of a "man-child."

Seriously. Inundating JC Hong with hate because a sculpt came out not as nice as you'd like is childish and immature. You expect this behavior from little kids, not grown adults. There's a way to express your disappoint without falling into the caricature of a "man-child."

There is also bias in our perceptions. There might be 1,000 people that complain in some form, but the 10-15 people people who make the loudest and nastiest stink are the ones we see more of, and think that is a greater percentage.

I mean you have to assume at least 2-3% of the internet in anything is going to be ultra-asholes, and do it as a hobby.

Yup, It's the licensors/actors who has the final say. No matter how good the sculpt is if they refuse it nothing HT can do.

Yup, It's the licensors/actors who has the final say. No matter how good the sculpt is if they refuse it nothing HT can do.

Final say, but approval is usually done on the prototype. There was a great article I can find that went through the process of making figures from initial design all the way to release, and generally the prototype is the one used for marketing and approvals, with the condition there might be a little variation due to production methodologies.

Sometimes there is conditional approval if for example HT says they are planning on working on the HS, and HT makes a new sculpt not marketed (Gamora for example might have had a situation like this, forcing them to delay because they lost an approval or agreed to a different sculpt that was not used in marketing.)

This might be a situation where approval was given for the prototype, and Marvel/RDJ rang up HT saying WTF happened to the final product once it got released, feeling it deviated too much away from the approved piece.

Last edited:

I'm 99% certain based on experience with licensing that it was not as issue with Marvel/RDJ. Approval on a head sculpt is rarely turned down unless there are obvious/glaring issues. It's why Hot Toys is confident enough to advertise head sculpts with preorders (they generally already have a pre-approval at that stage). You'll also see example of other companies getting subpar head sculpts approved.

Going by post in the BD thread:

Screenshot from Justin's review of the Mk85. He said he prefers the previous Mk50 sculpt which is apparently what we're going to get as the replacement of the Mk85 sculpt. I dunno, I still prefer the new Mk85 sculpt.

View attachment 502053

Both the Mk50 and new sculpt are pretty bad IMO. I honestly hope they redo the sculpt instead of reusing the old one. Them pushing back that far off gives me some hope of a better sculpt.

S0NWwQb.png

The prototype head is even worse IMO. I'd honestly take the new one rather than the proto.

I didn't even think about the head sculpt for more than 30 seconds (because I didn't plan on displaying him with it, but yeah it's terrible).

But holy **** that paint blows it for me. I mean wow. It's literally the concept art 46 figure. Looks like an enlarged kid?s action figure with those colors. The movie is a matte, dull gold alloy, this thing looks like it's colored with a melted gold bar. Justin?s review legitimately turned me off from it, that's never happened before. I was so disappointed looking at it on his rotating display, it is just way too inaccurate with its high saturation and brightness. Should have been the same color as the Mark 42.

So, it will be almost 3 years between Endgame being released and getting the signature character from the film from Hot Toys. They should've released the current version and provided a replacement head sculpt in a year. I wasn't going to display this with the Tony sculpt anyway...

RF8pFqo.jpg

Anyone brought any sculpts from MAXNUT? I’m looking to grab one of their Stark sculpts for the mk85, looking for opinions on their sculpts. Thanks

I really think there are people who cant handle critics, we are paying a lot fot this tipe of figure and we want something in line with the price.
I never expected something in the level of Prime 1 Studio but i definitly wanted something better than Iron Studios level of likeness.
We are forgething our power as consumers, Hot Toys is a company that needs to be the best everytime for US, i dont need to remind you guys that this poor humble company buys licencing just to never produce a figure.
The Mark 85 as a whole is a letdown, this a fact. It's nowhere in the same level as Mark 7 but in level with the newer Antman.

Mark VII has top notch paint applications. They did something different from their standard glossy candy red and gold paints. They went back to the standard stuff this time as I assume it was easier/quicker. Even sideshow, known for their poor paint app, knocked it out of the park with their latest Iron man statue. Hot Toys was way ahead in that department, but not anymore. We know they can do better when they want to. We've seen it.

The Mark 85 as a whole is a letdown, this a fact. It's nowhere in the same level as Mark 7 but in level with the newer Antman.

This. It’s really just not a good release. The headsculpt is subpar and was unseen prior to release. The accessories are an infinity glove that doesn’t actually fit that point in the movie and one giant piece that lacks detail. The proportions and color are a bit off. To the degree that it still looks good is all about the Marvel design being a good one. It seems like the better work has been saved for the battle damaged version.

So I've had this on pre-order from Sideshow forever. Think I'm going to try to cancel it Monday and swap to something else if they'll let me move all of my funds. What Iron Man should I look to pivot to? I don't have an IM yet, and I only plan on buying one. I'd prefer something with a full unhelmeted Stark HS, as I have at body and outfit already sitting here for it.

I'm just confused trying to sort through all of them.

So I've had this on pre-order from Sideshow forever. Think I'm going to try to cancel it Monday and swap to something else if they'll let me move all of my funds. What Iron Man should I look to pivot to? I don't have an IM yet, and I only plan on buying one. I'd prefer something with a full unhelmeted Stark HS, as I have at body and outfit already sitting here for it.

Easy, Mk. 47!

Headsculpt will look great on a kitbash and the rest of the figure is top notch with great accessories.

The usual answer is "the one you like" -- but in terms of what's available at retail, Mark 7 is the best paint job and bulk, but no full head-sculpt, helmeted only. Mark 47 has a great head sculpt and nice design, but it's non traditional with all the gunmetal and silver.

If you don't mind getting molested by the aftermarket, I think the best armours done are the following diecast releases:

4, 5, 6, 7, 46, 47 ... with 46/47 having the best portraits (it's the same one, 46 having a black eye), and all of those having appeared in a film. 46 concept is nice but it doesn't appear in a film and has no head-sculpt.

Mark 7 is easily one of their best. Mark 47 if you really want one that comes with a unhelmet sculpt but the color scheme isn't your usual. The rest you'll have to find on the market since they're not sold through retailers anymore.

I'm going to cancel the 85 through Sideshow and move the paid off funds to the Midas diecast Monday as well. I ordered it from Toyswonderland and it should be here Wednesday.

If I were you I'd pick up the Mark VII. Best value and excellent suit. You get the helmeted sculpt, (I would look for a loose sculpt online) and the pod mode as another option too. Or you can buy it used on the FB groups for cheaper.

Back