Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I did say that. If you combined both, you'd have the perfect Batman.

He kind of invalidated his own point on that front, that being said, I think Batman is just as valid as any other interpretation. There's no vise versa about it, the 60's comics were pretty wild, and in the late 60's (66' through 68') it was televised, if anything, it was a few years after the show when DC brought Batman back to his roots with darker stories. They're all pretty faithful (minus a few.)

I personally don't think that the creator of the character intended to have him portrayed the way he was in the 60's. This is based on early Batman comics, so I don't think the TV show or the 60's comics are in anyway "faithful" to the origins of the character. That's just me though.

:slap :FREAK:

good thing i dont take this site seriously. i find these statements to be not only immature but totally biased. i like burton yes but i also like adam west, the joel schumacher films, BTAS, the arkham assylum games and probably a few other things. but i do NOT like the nolan batman movies, and for this, i get crucified by self righteous fanboys. now this board is starting to sound like the SSH boards, which is not a good thing.

there, i said it.

Well, most of us are not taking you seriously at this point either. And you're not immature and totally biased? You know, it's funny that you are the only person thorwing around those fanboy terms.

well quite honestly that is just funny comment, if your being serious. boy people on this site take these things way too seriously. batman can be funny or serious, so this statement is invalid.

Yes, I'm totally serious. No, wrong. There's nothing funny about a kid having his parents gunned down right in front of this eyes. Batman is not a funny character. Period. It may have worked for a while durring the 60's, but no very long ago a funny Batman movie ended the franchise for eight years. Yeah, that's what people want today, a funny Batman. And I'll be the first and last guy to tell you just how wrong you are on this point. You don't read comics, you don't like Nolan's Batman and you don't see whats so great about the TAS. Those three mediums are the best avenues for understanding the origins of the character. TAS and Nolan's Batman are also the most faithful to source material. So you don't know the character. End of story.

No, you're invaild for calling it a statement when it's not.

i agree, but thats a totally stupid thing to say someone isnt a "true fan" (whatever that is) cuz someone prefer's one version over another. that is just pure unadulterated fan-nerd raveings.:cuckoo:

And yet it's perfectly fine for you to bash Nolan's Batman, but no one else can bash Burton's or Schumacher's Batman? I still haven't heard a compelling argument to backup anything you've said thus far. All I see is this fanboy garbage. I think you should look in the mirror because you're dangerously close to being what you hate so much.

Honestly, I was questioning it more when you said that you "don't see what's so great about The Animated Series," considering the fact that it's the most faithful interpretation of Batman in media. So, you dislike the Nolan films, you don't see what's so great about TAS, and you're "not a comic book guy?" I don't know what I think about this...:dunno

I know what to think about it, he doesn't really know who Batman is.

Last edited:
A kid watching his parents killed is of course not funny at all. But what can be funny (or at least not taken too seriously from a real-world perspective) is that kid dealing with the death of his parents by growing up and dressing up as a bat-themed crime fighter. Particularly when he has a 10 year old kid sidekick.

A kid watching his parents killed is of course not funny at all. But what can be funny (or at least not taken too seriously from a real-world perspective) is that kid dealing with the death of his parents by growing up and dressing up as a bat-themed crime fighter. Particularly when he has a 10 year old kid sidekick.

I understand your point there, but I don't think a bat-themed crime figher is funny and I've never cared for the comics where Robin was ten. I also can't deny that part of character though.

It's not necessarily funny, but it's quite zany when you think about it in a real world perspective. That's why there is a fine line where Batman can't be taken TOO seriously. The whole thing starts to deconstruct under the absurdity of its conceit. I love them, but Nolan's films come very very close to going over this edge at times.

Batman is a fantasy character, and I think maintaining that while being "dark" and serious (when appropriate) is what works best for the character and his world.

IMHO, there has yet to be a live action Batfilm that strikes the perfect tone. Indeed, BTAS, Justice League and even aspects of The Brave And The Bold have come closest.

I went into the custom section and saw what they did with the Penguin. It really has me excited about what Hot Toys will do with DX Penguin. Sad thing is that I know I can expect it in my hands in 2013. :(

I went into the custom section and saw what they did with the Penguin. It really has me excited about what Hot Toys will do with DX Penguin. Sad thing is that I know I can expect it in my hands in 2013. :(

I don't think the Penguin will be a DX.

As awesome as the custom Penguin is, I have no doubt that HT will top it.

HT prolly wont have that radical working umbrella though.

cmon how can any batfan not love the 60's show lol.

i can totally see why this was so popular in the 60's.

i like BTAS as well, but i dont say things like OOOH TEY GOTTA MAKE TIS INTO TEH NEXCT MOVIE!!!! i mean i LIKE the show but i dont think its the best end all version of batman. its a cool cartoon though.

The thing BTAS did was take the comic book Batman and brought it to life. Most of the episodes from the series were taken directly from issues of the comic. So as a huge Batfan myself the animated series was the closest we've ever seen to the comic version making it to film.

As a fan I appreciate all the films and series, but still feel the live action version of the comics I grew up on has never been fully realized.
Batman 89 really bugged me they made the Joker the murderer of the Wayne's
Returns Bat's killed about every bad guy he came across
66 version was based on the comics after the comics code went into effect making comics unable to tell adult storylines
Nolan's versions I don't believe really highlight any of the dark knight detectives brilliance as a detective, and it seems like he relies on too many others to fight crime when in the comics he's a loner for the most part.
And why can't they just once have the dark grey color on the body of the batsuit in a movie?

I'd definitely want to see the TV show version done by Hot Toys.

tumblr_lpu3sb8BMM1qa5yw9o1_500.png

I am really excited to seeing how the Penguin turns out. To date it will be my next figure after the 89 Joker. I have nothing planned inbetween.

im sure catwoman will look amazing, as well as batman. but the penguin....i really dont have any idea how well that will turn out, i cant even picture how a HT penguin will look, but i have no doubt it will probably blow all our expectations away. Returns batman will no doubt take te cake, because you really cant go wrong. it will be interesting to see Returns batman and B89 batman next to each other. Returns is so much sleeker and more streamlined, and its got that matte grey-black as opposed to the super black black of the 89 suit, and that leathery muscle body.

There are a few shots of the 89 Batman where he looks like he is in matte grey/black and it looks awesome!! I wonder if HT will add diorama to Returns Batman to add incentive for those who own 89 to double dip!!!

I wish they have some sort of diorama to Penguin. What I would love is a cardboard double printed background (like Indiana Jones). One side his aquatic layer so you could display him in his pajamas and the other side the graveyard scene so he can be displayed with his jacket, top hat and umbrella. Penguin will definitely need additions to fill out the cost of a small figure. Lets hope for emperor penguins (with rocket packs), bucket of umbrellas maybe small batmobile. But I would prefer the double backdrop.

Personally, I will take everything from this line but I wanted to ask you if Ht ever did environments for its figures as I would love them to do a Batcave so that I can display Batman and the Batmobile.:yess:

we will just have to wait and see, but personally i dont expect HT to do enviroments for these figures since they are part of a line. none of the DX batman stuff even for nolans movies have enviroments so i dont expect any, though it would be pretty neat. but i would love it they gave penguin a penguin commando at least.

Back