Hot Toys 20th Anniversary Announcement Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If so would really be nice to see Godfather, davy Jones, Edward, terminator dx, Dx08, Dx11 instead of the less wanted figures like fao seng an tonto who have been on on sale for ?100 lol.

Would be so cool too see. A lot of guys missed the older figures but prices are way to high.

I'd be super happy if they reissued godfather.

If reissuing with upgrades is the plan, sign me up. Hope they do this for Indy first and foremost.

Would be awesome, but I'd bet money that it won't happen. The apparent demographics say no.

I would of course love to see some figures completing lines they have already started:
- Pfeiffer Catwoman
- Devito Penguin
- Barbossa (would go great with my Cap Jack and Davy Jones)
- Arkham Knight: Scarecrow
- Arkham City: Riddler, MR Freeze

Updated figures:
- Cillian Murphy Scarecrow 2.0 (with head sculpt)
- Updated Alien Big Chap
- Aliens Ripley in power-loader 2.0

New licenses:
- Beetlejuice (I'd get the ghost with the most himself obviously as well as Tom and Barbara with their scary/deformed head (And hand) sculpts on)

- Modern Horror movie icons (Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Candyman, Pinhead, Hannibal Lecter, Jason Voorhees, Jack Torrance etc.)

- Classic Horror movie icons (The Bride of Frankenstein, Karloff's Frankenstein's monster, Bela Lugosi as Dracula, Christopher Lee as Dracula, Peter Cushing as Van Helsing, The Wolf-Man, Karloff as the Mummy, Claude Rains Invisible Man, Count Orlok from Nosferatu - etc.)

Alas, this is all pipe-dreaming....

I would of course love to see some figures completing lines they have already started:
- Pfeiffer Catwoman
- Devito Penguin

Updated figures:
- Updated Alien Big Chap

New licenses:
- Beetlejuice (I'd get the ghost with the most himself obviously as well as Tom and Barbara with their scary/deformed head (And hand) sculpts on)

- Modern Horror movie icons (Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Candyman, Pinhead, Hannibal Lecter, Jason Voorhees, Jack Torrance etc.)

- Classic Horror movie icons (The Bride of Frankenstein, Karloff's Frankenstein's monster, Bela Lugosi as Dracula, Christopher Lee as Dracula, Peter Cushing as Van Helsing, The Wolf-Man, Karloff as the Mummy, Claude Rains Invisible Man, Count Orlok from Nosferatu - etc.)

Let me add;

* Cassian
* Baze Malbus
* Bodhi Rook
* Saw Gerrera
* Poe Dameron
etc etc

I think your idea has merit though. I mean most customers who have purchased the figures in a certain line are usually going to want to pick up any new figures belonging to it.

It can also get a bit too much financially for people to purchase 6-8 figures from one film say. But attacking some of these in a 20 year anniversary re-visit would make some sense.

But in the end I agree totally. This is all a pipe-dream.....

- Pfeiffer Catwoman
- Devito Penguin

Updated figures:
- Updated Alien Big Chap

New licenses:

The problem today is even a simple figure is almost knocking on $300US. If Returns Penguin was released in Q4 of 2012 as “scheduled” it would have been packaged with all the goodies the DX line offered back then (ie Heath and Nicholson Joker) and sold for $220-$240 tops!! Regular DX Maul is sold today at $285. I don’t see HT releasing a Ultimate DX with (With Jumper, Fur coat and Mayor Look”) all in one box. They will milk it like Jedi Luke and Anakin….multiple versions.

If reissuing with upgrades is the plan, sign me up. Hope they do this for Indy first and foremost.

That's one I can definitely get on. I'm still surprised there's so few figures made for Indy anytime recently, aside from customs. Maybe when the new movie comes out it'll generate some interest.

Some things are such timeless classics I don't know why there even needs to be a new film to regenerate interest, I think if they just announced a new figure out of the blue there'd be huge excitement.....or not? Maybe that's why they don't because I'm wrong and there just isn't enough interest anymore - in which case I'm disgusted with the toy collecting community :lol

Some things are such timeless classics I don't know why there even needs to be a new film to regenerate interest, I think if they just announced a new figure out of the blue there'd be huge excitement.....or not? Maybe that's why they don't because I'm wrong and there just isn't enough interest anymore - in which case I'm disgusted with the toy collecting community :lol

A lot of stuff is directed by the licensor. So even having the license, doesn't mean they get to pick exactly what they make. There's no way Hot Toys wanted to make the Sith Jumptrooper, and I'm sure having the early release of the Sith Trooper at SDCC was chosen by Lucasfilm since Hasbro had one available too. As far as I know HT has never done an early release like that, months before the movie even hits. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Lucasfilm doesn't want them to go ahead with an Indy right now.

I don’t think we’re going to see new licenses. It would be nice, but look at the last several releases. That tells the tale.

A lot of stuff is directed by the licensor. So even having the license, doesn't mean they get to pick exactly what they make. There's no way Hot Toys wanted to make the Sith Jumptrooper, and I'm sure having the early release of the Sith Trooper at SDCC was chosen by Lucasfilm since Hasbro had one available too. As far as I know HT has never done an early release like that, months before the movie even hits. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Lucasfilm doesn't want them to go ahead with an Indy right now.

and you know this how?

and you know this how?

It makes business sense. If Indy 5 is out next year, Lucasfilm will likely hold off on merch until early next year to announce licensees for the new film. Same for this year with Empire. Companies have already started announcing 40th anniversary merch, HT were likely told to hold off on Bespin versions til this year, because we know they have been developed for years.

and you know this how?

I'm assuming some stuff, like about the Sith Trooper specifically, but have heard from some collectors who work in the film industry that the studios merch branch care more than you think about what gets made and directs outlets on what they want them to make. It's not like anyone can say no to Disney at this point anyway.

Some of these licences have had it. Terminator is done. The new movies have all failed critically and financially. Hot Toys didn't even bother with Dark Fate, yet they did for Genisys. I just can't see them going back and doing anything from this line at this stage.

Prometheus and Covenant didn't seem to do well and even though Prometheus was promoted as coming soon at Hot Toys, nothing was ever revealed officially. Alien seems to be another dead licence at this stage and the Alien 5 film with Sigourney has been scrapped hasn't it?

We'll soon be heading into a new Batman movie with Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz and Colin Farrell, so I'd be surprised if they end up making Batman Returns Catwoman at this stage. It feels like it missed the boat. Should have been produced back when Batman was done.

Other than Star Wars, Marvel and DC there seems to be very little new films to be producing figures from.
They did John Wick. Anything else that comes to mind?

I would like to see them add to the Matrix line, but I don't see it happening.

Seeing as they have produced figures from Netflix previously, a Witcher line would be welcomed in my eyes.

I just feel that HT have too much on their hands and not enough time produce it all. There have been massive delays on some figures, which have likely been pushed back in favour of others.

One thing we'll probably see this year is Baby Yoda life size considering that character is everywhere right now and they'll be rushing to get that out before the hype has died down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think a lot of the blame so to speak can be placed on the fact that there are so many big franchises now that they’ve taken over collector markets. I realize people don’t like to hear it, but Hot Toys is going where the money is. If Marvel, Star Wars, and DC are where they can make money that’s what they’ll do. I’d love to see more variety too, but it’s easy from our end looking in to say make this or that when really the demand for some of what we want isn’t as large where it’s worth pursuing the cost that goes into acquiring licenses and manufacturing.

It makes business sense. If Indy 5 is out next year, Lucasfilm will likely hold off on merch until early next year to announce licensees for the new film. Same for this year with Empire. Companies have already started announcing 40th anniversary merch, HT were likely told to hold off on Bespin versions til this year, because we know they have been developed for years.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but boy do I hope Hasbro makes a 6" figure line for all the Indiana Jones movies, like the SW Black Series or PR Lightning Collection. Maybe a Grail Collection? The 3.75" line that released for Crystal Skull was awesome; I still need to complete that series one day.

I'd be broke ASAP, especially if they made 6" scale trucks and tanks. :lol

I think a lot of the blame so to speak can be placed on the fact that there are so many big franchises now that they?ve taken over collector markets. I realize people don?t like to hear it, but Hot Toys is going where the money is. If Marvel, Star Wars, and DC are where they can make money that?s what they?ll do. I?d love to see more variety too, but it?s easy from our end looking in to say make this or that when really the demand for some of what we want isn?t as large where it?s worth pursuing the cost that goes into acquiring licenses and manufacturing.

For an aging dude I'm 'young'. I have young friends, I keep up with contemporary music and fashion (within reason, not trying to be a teenager) and I'm open to contemporary entertainment. But I get it -- my taste isn't that relevant to pop culture anymore. I'm no longer a relevant demographic. The movies that resonate with me for nostalgic reasons are up against global entertainment phenomena and a compressed popularity cycle that render them quaint artifacts of the past.

It will be good to see some ESB figures, at least. Hope they get Han's head sculpt right, for once; they seem to have such a problem getting Ford's likeness. That Indy figure they released... looked like a sports star in cosplay. :slap

They should get Jong Hyuk Park to sculpt Han. He did various figures for HT over the years and recently did this insane commission.
20200111_143528.jpg

Indy really did not need PERS - not that absence of PERS guarantees a good likeness but it contributed to the cartooniness of that sculpt.

Indy is still one of the biggest gutpunches in this hobby. The hat shouldn't have been a separate piece. Two heads like Sideshow did. It's even more infuriating seeing Arnie Kim posting pics of his latest Ford attempt on Instagram when he couldn't come close back then. Same for Reeve, Yulli had to tweak his work, and he nails it now.

Back