Hot Toys 1/6 Christopher Reeve Superman - Making it Movie Accurate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess what jumps out at me when looking at the real costume is the hand-made quality of it. There's an imperfect quality to the shield. Everything is hand stitched. Perhaps it stretched in ways the costume maker didn't expect.

That's the biggest thing missing from HT's 'S' to me. Not the width or height.

I agree 100%. That's why I've made sure the artwork on the replacement captures the exact appearance of the logo as it was being worn on Reeve's costume.

Yep. I agree too. And that's why I wouldn't want to change the HT shield. I know you see it as "idealized", but I like it that way.

It's almost like HT made the shield they way they would have back in 1978 if the costume department had had the means.

We'll obviously have to agree to disagree on this one. It's just as easy to make the logo movie accurate instead of do an "idealized" version.

Just give me a logo that looks like it did in the movie and I'll be happy. Not interested in idealized versions. If I showed you a side by side comparison photo with the HT rubbery logo placed next to the accurate printout, you would see just how "idealized" and innacurate the HT logo is (I'm talking about the yellow shapes, not the overall size).

Would you like them to put the Batman Returns logo onto the 1989 Keaton movie costume just because they think it looks better than the one which appeared on the actual costume? I certainly wouldn't want to see that and I'm sure the vast majority of collectors would agree with me. This is no different in my opinion.

Everyone knows how I feel about the HT logos and there's no point discussing it any further in this thread because I'm already replacing the HT logos with accurate versions. I'm not asking you to stop liking your figure. I'm just doing something to my figure which in my eyes will improve it for my own collection. Isn't that what customization is all about?

Chris

Yep. I agree too. And that's why I wouldn't want to change the HT shield. I know you see it as "idealized", but I like it that way.

It's almost like HT made the shield they way they would have back in 1978 if the costume department had had the means.

Last edited:
We'll obviously have to agree to disagree on this one. It's just as easy to make the logo movie accurate instead of do an "idealized" version.

Just give me a logo that looks like it did in the movie and I'll be happy. Not interested in idealized versions. If I showed you a side by side comparison photo with the HT rubbery logo placed next to the accurate printout, you would see just how "idealized" and innacurate the HT logo is (I'm talking about the yellow shapes, not the overall size).

Would you like them to put the Batman Returns logo onto the 1989 Keaton movie costume just because they think it looks better than the one which appeared on the actual costume? I certainly wouldn't want to see that and I'm sure the vast majority of collectors would agree with me. This is no different in my opinion.

Everyone knows how I feel about the HT logos and there's no point discussing it any further in this thread because I'm already replacing the HT logos with accurate versions. I'm not asking you to stop liking your figure. I'm just doing something to my figure which in my eyes will improve it for my own collection. Isn't that what customization is all about?

Chris

Well put.
Looking forward to seeing your new logos on the figure Chris.

Here's an idea - you could always stay out of the thread if you haven't got anything useful to say or you don't want to follow the OCD in it! :wave

Too much OCD for me to follow.

GL!

Last edited:
Yes, you're absolutely correct. I did get rid of it.
However, in hindsight - I realised that it was a knee jerk reaction to the initial disappointment. After looking at lots of the excellent pics people continued posting, I realised that it was a mistake to get rid of it so I ordered a "loose" one from ABC Express, plus a spare costume so I could play around with the logos on it.

Thought you got rid of the HT Superman as soon as you opened the package?

If I showed you a side by side comparison photo with the HT rubbery logo placed next to the accurate printout, you would see just how "idealized" and innacurate the HT logo is (I'm talking about the yellow shapes, not the overall size).

Why haven't you done this?

I wouldn't want the Superman Returns shield on this figure. That would be the same as the example you gave. Taking the original 1978 design and making it more symmetrical is totally different.

Here is the comparison I would use: Batman '89 boots were made out of Nikes, but I want "idealized" boots. I don't want them to look obviously like homemade boots. Batman's boots and Superman's Shield don't look homemade on the pages of comics and the only reason they have on screen is because they basically were homemade. This is due to the constraints of costume design back when Reeve's Superman and Keaton's Batman were made. If those movies were made today there is no way they would look that sloppy.

Personally, I prefer slight changes to costumes in an effort to right the wrongs done by the original costume design team. It presents the character as we imagine them more than they way they actually were with all their imperfections. No one will come into my collection room and think 'wow, what a cool figure, but I don't remember the "S" looking like that.' But if the "S" was literally screen accurate some might think, 'was the "S" really that sloppy in the movie?' Do you get what I'm saying?

One more example. It's a pet peeve of mine that Sideshow's ANH Vader has one silver tusk and one black tusk. That was a mistake on set, and I wish Sideshow had righted the wrong (although that would have pissed off most SW collectors).

Everyone knows how I feel about the HT logos and there's no point discussing it any further in this thread because I'm already replacing the HT logos with accurate versions. I'm not asking you to stop liking your figure.

In the past it honestly felt like you were trying to do just that, so I thank you for saying that.

I'm just doing something to my figure which in my eyes will improve it for my own collection. Isn't that what customization is all about?

Yes. And I'm not trying to talk you out of modifying your figure. I hope it comes out to your satisfaction.

Although I have no interest in changing the shield or boots on mine I will follow this thread to see your progress. I don't want to get in a flame war, and I hope we understand each other's point of view here. :peace

As a relative outsider on this conversation, and one that just voted Reeve's Superman as figure of the year on another thread, my opinion would be this. The one thing that let this figure down was the shield, not necessarily the graphic overtly perfect nature of the HT one. Rather the shiny vinyl way they approached it. Even if it was matte and looked a bit less perfect it would have been better. This is an iconic image, one largely identified by the treatment of the 's' shield. I love everything else about the figure, but they got that wrong, very wrong. They just took a perfect graphic version of the logo and stuck it on. How much of an issue that is, is dependent on your relationship to the movie since childhood. If the BATS logo was that off there would be fits happening.

Just my two cents.

screen-capture-1-18.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but when I look at the screen and then turn around to look at the figure the only difference I notice is that the shield above is all rounded and bulgy on the bottom right edge. Looks chincy.

I do agree that the HT shield is too shiny but I don't really notice it.

You can see it best when you look at the negative spaces (yellow) in the HT shield. The shield is not the correct (1978) height and thus the logo overall has a squat appearance on the HT version.

I'm sorry, but when I look at the screen and then turn around to look at the figure the only difference I notice is that the shield above is all rounded and bulgy on the bottom right edge. Looks chincy.

Yea, i don't really notice it as well..looks more matte on mine.

Really? I see a lot wrong with it, it doesn't bother me though, cause over all the figure is outstanding.

(not my pic)
capefront2-vi.jpg
screen-capture-1-18.png

There is indeed a great deal wrong with it.

If someone offered a reasonably priced way of replacing it for a sewn version I would jump at the chance.

Can you imagine! The tiny stitches around the 'S'? That would be awesome. Kato are you listening? New project?!
:)

You can see it best when you look at the negative spaces (yellow) in the HT shield. The shield is not the correct (1978) height and thus the logo overall has a squat appearance on the HT version.

Really? I see a lot wrong with it, it doesn't bother me though, cause over all the figure is outstanding.

I can see that the figure's shield is more squat now, but that's it.

Back