Hot Toys 1/6 Christopher Reeve Superman - Making it Movie Accurate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cking & martin-el - I totally get you, & totally agree regarding the movie S compared to the HT one.. I saw it from day one too.

Great project, excellent progress on the printed logos, & your dedication is to be admired my friends!

Well done & I look forward to keeping up with your work! :clap :hi5:

Wow that looks AWESOME!

It does indeed. With no black outline.

I am guessing this is designed to go straight on top of the inaccurate HT 'S' logo?

You'd still have the possible peeling bump. Since his was done so you don't get that. Out of all the things Hot Toys has at their disposal, you'd think they could have done this. Since rubber and paint always fades with them.

I guess its all about how iconic this thing is to you. I look at the logo on the right, the movie version and it instantly instills memories and coolness, the one on the left, I just see a generic Superman logo.
:(

Damn think you need to get outside and smell the roses or something. Nice little project this but strictly for the uber fan. I'm happy with the standard version

Hi Martin i hope you dont mind ,and not to steal your thunder ,but i found this update and thought id share it with the guys on here ,im sure they will be as impressed as i was ,please LMK when you will have your custom kit avaliable and how much cheers chris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jjxU_y3mU&feature=related

Very nice! What's it made out of? (I'm at work, so I have no sound if it's mentioned in the video.)

Wow that looks AWESOME!

I am guessing this is designed to go straight on top of the inaccurate HT 'S' logo?
Will these be available?

Dosn't seem like that would work. The custom shield isn't the exact same shape so the HT shield will make it look all lumpy from underneath I would think.

The question then is: How does one remove the HT decal?

Wow that looks AWESOME!

Will these be available?

The HT shield is intended to be removed first. Chris said that this comes off relatively easily with no glue residue.

I'm interested if these new shields are offered guys - or at least some info on the printable fabric and where it can be sourced :)

Great work.

The HT shield is intended to be removed first. Chris said that this comes off relatively easily with no glue residue.

I'm interested if these new shields are offered guys - or at least some info on the printable fabric and where it can be sourced :)

Great work.

I second that!

That new shield from the latest video looks great. And while I am quite happy with the way HT did it, if I could manage to get a set for the chest and cape shields, it would just make me happier

Great work on this so far though :clap

I'm finding this fascinating and admire the attention to detail but Hot Toys have got it as close as I need. The Hot Toys body is far more barrel chested than Reeve was so obviously that's going to affect how the shield lies. It will be interesting to see just how your shield looks when properly applied.
I should perhaps let my wife read this thread. She might be relieved to discover there are people out there even harder to please than I am.

Good luck and I hope you find happiness.

I'm finding this fascinating and admire the attention to detail but Hot Toys have got it as close as I need. The Hot Toys body is far more barrel chested than Reeve was so obviously that's going to affect how the shield lies. It will be interesting to see just how your shield looks when properly applied.

Possibly my biggest complaint about the figure.

I should perhaps let my wife read this thread. She might be relieved to discover there are people out there even harder to please than I am.

Good luck and I hope you find happiness.

:lol :lol :lol

Hi guys -

Thanks for the notices about my youtube vids - while dreadfully done they at least get the point across.
I have a small update consisting of good & bad news - the first, tragically, is that the self-adhesive printable fabric will not be suitable after all. Despite how it looks in the vid the colours are muted due to the thinness of the fabric and then brought down a notch more by sticking it to blue :( Its great for the 'Evil' Superman but pales in comparison to the original screen-printed versions so we've reverted back to those. This is why we experiment I guess. The printable fabric is ideal for the Jor-El figure (due to the contrast) and I still have some of those if anybody's interested. I will update again once I have the screenprinted shields and will do another vid hopefully showing off how great it looks when applied and on the figure.
The other bad news is I can't get the boot-top mod to work either :( having tried with a number of different materials (plasticard, fabric-backed vinyl, vinyl sheeting, rubber, etc.) nothing comes close to blending in to make the boot look one piece and matching the colour is a nightmare. This was intended to be a quick & easy fix but for the sake of thicker cuffs I've already invested too much effort - would be great if somebody else was willing to give it a go or had any suggestions...

So that's where we are. Stay tuned!

Thanks for the interest guys. The screen printer will be selecting some yellow fabric which has a suitable weave texture and thickness and then it will be a quick process to get the chest and cape logos printed.

As I mentioned - the HT logo has to be removed from the costume before these new ones are applied but when I removed the HT logo from the test costume that I brought, it came off without any problems at all.

Once we've got the screen printed logos in hand, we will test them out to make sure that the colors remain sharp.

It's a shame about the difficulty in sourcing the correct material to use for the detail at the top of the boots, but at least the logos will be corrected and those are the main gripes I had with the figure anyway.

New Update!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YYZeP-KP5Y&feature=plcp&context=C3932921UDOEgsToPDskIveJNB1QecEv6acH7WysIy[/ame]

hey martin i think those boot tops look great ,id like to see them with the costume on as well ,as it seems to make the boots a little taller:yess:,now is there enough of your bus pass to share with the rest of us :) ,as for the underarm problem ,i had the same thing with the kingdom come superman by dc direct ,i dremeled some of the latts away and then padded the removed part of the latts with foam rubber ,which restored the shape but allowed the arms to come down to the sides .might be worth a try ,LMK if you need a more detailed description as i think i posted pics in the kingdom come dc direct superman thread ,and please lmk about the bus pass thing :) cheers chris :)

Nice job on those boots Martin. Can we get a clear photo of the current mod?

Interesting point on ironing the costume. Since you'll be using a high tack tape after you redress the figure it seems there's really no point in taking off the costume for anyone emulating your mod later.

I wonder if a bit of filing down the inside of the arms or ribs would allow the arms to relax properly.

I agree about the abandoned DX comment. The first marketing image even said it would be DX. After seeing Indiana Jones I'm so glad they didn't do the PERS eyes here.

Hmm.. I don't understand the ironing issue. All you would have to do is place a soft flat object inside the suit so it doesn't press all the way to the back. I have done this before with a piece of cardboard with foam behind it. That iron on web material is far to rigid and thick to work at this scale i would imagine, which is the real issue?
Boots look good, would love to see some proper pics? I can't say that I like the Jor-el logo I'm afraid mate. I know the size & shape is more movie accurate, but the entire HT Jor-El suit is completely in accurate to the screen version. Which was just constructed from light reflective vinyl, scotchlite tape, crumpled onto an undergarment. So it looked nothing like the HT version. I think the detail and stitching on the Hot Toys Jor-El shield is amazing, it's actually stitched on properly. It's a separate piece of felt. I think your custom one looks a little rough to be honest (might be just on your video).
I would love to see how your shield works out on supes though. As I have started to really dislike the HT one. Sorry I don't want to be too critical, my intent is constructive!

:monkey3

5966050_2_l.jpg

5966050_1_l.jpg

Last edited:
I never minded the crumbly look of the Kryptonians but hated the rhinestones around the S.

The HT Jor-El looks like something they worked up for Returns prior to just having Brando's head in crystal.

Back