1/6 Hot Toys – MMS355 - Guardians of the Galaxy: Drax The Destroyer Collectible Figu

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of calling them "thieves", perhaps do an estimate first to see what the actual shipping would cost with UPS Ground.

Seriously, jumping to calling someone a thief that quickly? Wow..impulsive judgement..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I live in Irvine California 92602. Sideshow charged me $18.89 and according to UPS site, the cost should only be $12.69 UPS Ground shipping for Drax's box. 16" x 10" x 6" and 6lbs.

I live in Irvine California 92602. Sideshow charged me $18.89 and according to UPS site, the cost should only be $12.69 UPS Ground shipping for Drax's box. 16" x 10" x 6" and 6lbs.
Probably $6 to pay for staff, advertising, server/facility upkeep etc on top of whatever they make from their figures.

Apparently, to some, that's thievery.

And yes, thank you for actually giving numbers instead of pulling descriptions out of thin air.

Probably $6 to pay for staff, advertising, server/facility upkeep etc on top of whatever they make from their figures.

Apparently, to some, that's thievery.

And yes, thank you for actually giving numbers instead of pulling descriptions out of thin air.

the negativity i referred to in the premium section was based off "ignorant" this item sucks, i'd never buy that, look how bad that figure looks... then repeating yourself over and over and over... not that you EVER do that... but voicing a valid complaint about over charging shipping is topic for conversation and is valid even if you can't see it or figure it out without having someone spell out the dimensions of a box...

and i can't give you specifics on weight as i don't have a scale. but any normal logic would tell you that a diecast figure in a 2 pack size box vs. a NON diecast figure in single pack box is going to be significantly heavier and larger box... both of which dictates the shipping costs. drax should be significantly less than robocop. which it wasn't. end of story.

you're allowed to your opinion. mine clearly lies w/ pretty much 99% of this board that shipping is getting to be a rip off from SS. just like plastik posted that he was overcharged $6 from exact calculations... that shouldn't happen. shipping should be the actual cost that they pay. it should NOT be a way for them to milk more money out of people...

**edit**
just ran an estimate thru my business and it says the package would run me $15.01 for drax from ss to my place.

Last edited:
Negativity is negativity, regardless of what form it's in. If one's stance is that you're against it, then don't engage in it and then justify it as being okay because you weren't referring to your brand/type of negativity as being what you were referring to when you claimed that negativity is bad.

My comment never stated anything about not making a negative comment. It was a simple fact of not understanding why people come into threads to tell everybody how bad something is or how much they will not buy it... some doing it in the same thread over and over. That was the context of my post. Negativity is definitely warranted when there is an issue as the shipping is taking place and we are being overcharged on shipping. It absolutely should never happen. Shipping should not be a way for sideshow to additionally pad their pockets.

I dont know what all the fuss is about if anyone thinks that SS is over charging or up to bad practices then its simple buy from somewhere/one else and see if it works out. I buy almost exclusively from SS unless I got unlucky and didnt order in time because they have exclusive items, a responsive customer service and a pretty damn good return/exchange service when compared to other places I have purchased from, Man of Action figures in Miami has a great staff and plenty of toys of all makes to pick from but their prices can be crazy high on things and 0 return/exchange service and although Im in Miami they will still charge me $20 bucks for shipping :rotfl. I understand the price of shipping can seem high, I just shipped 2 Hot Toys in one big box to Cali and got charged $23 so I know that the price difference must involve an unknown cost, like Enzolt said there needs to be a charge placed to cover business expenses but I understand bad labeling, add a section that shows true ship price and what is a business fee which apparently is $6-8 bucks yet gives you reward points/coupons returns, etc etc..

Maybe we should just ask SS themselves why shipping is "high". I'm pretty sure there is some reasoning behind it so we're not sitting here with pitchforks out acting as if SS is some big baddie.

Maybe we should just ask SS themselves why shipping is "high". I'm pretty sure there is some reasoning behind it so we're not sitting here with pitchforks out acting as if SS is some big baddie.

:lol too late, "a business making profit!!??"

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FTom-Hiddleston.gif

I dont know what all the fuss is about if anyone thinks that SS is over charging or up to bad practices then its simple buy from somewhere/one else and see if it works out. I buy almost exclusively from SS unless I got unlucky and didnt order in time because they have exclusive items, a responsive customer service and a pretty damn good return/exchange service when compared to other places I have purchased from, Man of Action figures in Miami has a great staff and plenty of toys of all makes to pick from but their prices can be crazy high on things and 0 return/exchange service and although Im in Miami they will still charge me $20 bucks for shipping :rotfl. I understand the price of shipping can seem high, I just shipped 2 Hot Toys in one big box to Cali and got charged $23 so I know that the price difference must involve an unknown cost, like Enzolt said there needs to be a charge placed to cover business expenses but I understand bad labeling, add a section that shows true ship price and what is a business fee which apparently is $6-8 bucks yet gives you reward points/coupons returns, etc etc..

I totally agree with you that if you don't like it, buy from someplace else. But like I mentioned before the issue becomes you won't get an estimate for shipping until after you have already paid them an NDR and the estimate comes many months later when often things are sold out at other locations. At that point you are out of luck and totally stuck.

Actually I have. On a couple different occasions. The answers I have gotten were "we only charge what we get charged", the other one was "we actually lose money on shipping." Neither of which are true.

On one occasion they adjusted it as I pointed out how grossly overcharged it was. I had the Hot toys Optimus prime and the sideshow Deadpool coming. The price difference between the two in shipping was one dollar! The hot toys prime was 3 times the size and 2-3 times the weight of deadpool. I talk to them asking how on earth they could charge me the same for Deadpool as they did for Optimus prime. They apologized and adjusted the shipping to a normal price. I know others just ate it and paid it. Which goes back to the question why they charge so much. It's because they can and people will still pay it and they know it...

Anyways, it is what it is. Nothings going to change their business practices. So I guess it's just follow suit like many are doing and start putting your pre-orders in at other places unless they get the exclusives.

:exactly: I think pricing is different for everyone for whatever reasons that we do not know. Shipping for me is $11.68 and 9 times out of 10 shipping from SSC is someplace between $9 and $12 for me. So there is something else going on.

Love the pics Donovangian :clap

2nd, i've been buying from them for a long time. prices used to be $10 for a figure of this size and weight. which is on par and what it should run.

The $10 is a flat rate that they put on some figures and not others (and still do). It is a special rate, not the actual cost. Regular shipping rates to me are in the $16-$18 range (which could easily include a handling charge, not really a scandal), but I've had a lot of $10 ones as well for drastically different sized boxes. It seems most like a promo rate in between free and regular shipping

Going off my master list-

$10 shipping to me
Mk42 DC
IM3 Stark Workshop (huge box)
Heartbreaker
Centurion
Thor Light armor
War Machine Mk 2
Midas
Starboost
Rescue Cap
Iron Patriot DC
Snapper
Star Lord
Stark mechanic
Falcon
Bones
AoU Cap
Striker
Hawkeye
Tank
Maria Hill
Shotgun
most recently Sneaky

$15-$22 shipping
Mk 7
Golden Age Cap
Python
Peacemaker
Hot Rod DC
Mk 3 DC
Mk 7 Stealth
Igor
Vision
Blue Steel
Disco

Some get it, some don't. The $10 rate is definitely not their costs though, like that Stark Workshop later cost me over $25 to ship with a discounted UPS rate.

Another thing to consider is that the "shipping" cost may not strictly be covering transit from Sideshow's door to yours.

Sideshow has to import these figures from Hot Toys overseas, and that costs them money. The prices for importing can vary depending on a variety of factors, including time of year, number of pallets and how full the boats are.

So for some figures, perhaps Sideshow can eat a little of the cost and offer cheap shipping. But other times maybe the cost of importing dictates they charge more to help protect their margins.

Obviously I'm not sure if this is the case, but I feel it's important to consider what variables could be in play here, rather than jumping to conclusions.

"Sideshow is evil and they're just gouging our wallets" is an easy scapegoat when we're upset with the prices and want someone to blame, but none of us know for certain what their cost/profit margin is.

Seeking profit is certainly one possible explanation, and also sort of their primary goal as a business entity. But it's also only one of dozens of possible explanations.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My shipping charge for Drax is $22.92 which is absolutely ****ing ridiculous. :mad:

Trying hard to sympathize with you, but I'm in Canada and not only is shipping way more than $20 but we also have to deal with a terrible exchange rate that is currently being beaten to death by protectionist trade talks from he who shall not be named. Ya sorry, no sympathy for your $20 shipping rate. :wink1:

Trying hard to sympathize with you, but I'm in Canada and not only is shipping way more than $20 but we also have to deal with a terrible exchange rate that is currently being beaten to death by protectionist trade talks from he who shall not be named. Ya sorry, no sympathy for your $20 shipping rate. :wink1:

:lol If I had to pay international shipping I wouldn't have any sympathy for US buyers either. However, $23 to ship from California to Oklahoma is about $7 too much--and that's at the prices I have to pay, not a big company. It doesn't sound like much, but when you add up the additional fees over several transactions for hundreds of customers, Sideshow is making a lot of extra cash while claiming to only charge actual shipping.

Back