Hot Toys – MMS257 – Back to the Future: 1/6th scale Marty McFly Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in no way doubting your skills, please don't feel the need to defend yourself. Was just banging out an idea.

Like I said, I don't see the difference in having to remove the wax - same problem with shape etc. Sculpey just seemed easier. But then I'm just starting out with small sculpture. Like I said - just ideas.

I'll leave it at that and see what you come up with :peace

I was able to catch a free screening of the first film with my dad and grandpa at a local theater this afternoon. I own the trilogy on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray but had never seen any of them on a big screen so it was a fun experience.

Nice. Honestly it's one of the first films I remember watching when I was young. My parents rented it on VHS and I fell in love with with the trilogy from then on. I remember my mom trying to censor the swearing. :lol

I'm in no way doubting your skills, please don't feel the need to defend yourself. Was just banging out an idea.

Like I said, I don't see the difference in having to remove the wax - same problem with shape etc. Sculpey just seemed easier. But then I'm just starting out with small sculpture. Like I said - just ideas.

I'll leave it at that and see what you come up with :peace

I was just worried you thought i was pouncing on your ideas and calling them rubbish, lol.
As far as i can see, the wax castilene compound can only really be worked when warm. The plasticene and Sculpey are soft at room temp and even brushing on silicone could alter the sculpt. So wax will be the way to go. It will be solid when working on it, and when finished, i can cast it, remove the mould, warm up the sculpt and remove the castilene, cast a solid hair and apply it to Marty. I have a stack of Marty heads, so i want more than one hair once i get it perfect.

30F458BB-0AF7-4BAA-A200-E5A44F6B8D2C.jpg

You could also use apoxie sculpt. It's got a good work time and you can work in bits adding as you go. I used it to re-do the hair on my Superman head to match Clark's.

You could also use apoxie sculpt. It's got a good work time and you can work in bits adding as you go. I used it to re-do the hair on my Superman head to match Clark's.

Yeah. That's another possibility, but it's also a bit too soft to work with. I have a large tub of that. It's great stuff, no doubts. I am looking forward to picking up some of that wax. It looks really tough to work with, which will be great for it to hold detail and not go soft while you are working on another part.

I was just worried you thought i was pouncing on your ideas and calling them rubbish, lol.
As far as i can see, the wax castilene compound can only really be worked when warm. The plasticene and Sculpey are soft at room temp and even brushing on silicone could alter the sculpt. So wax will be the way to go. It will be solid when working on it, and when finished, i can cast it, remove the mould, warm up the sculpt and remove the castilene, cast a solid hair and apply it to Marty. I have a stack of Marty heads, so i want more than one hair once i get it perfect.

30F458BB-0AF7-4BAA-A200-E5A44F6B8D2C.jpg

That is a lot of heads..what do you do with them all?

I would so love to redo the hair on all my Hot Toys Arnies, T-1000s and Sarah Connor. Getting hairstyles and headshapes right is not a strong area for Hot Toys.

I would so love to redo the hair on all my Hot Toys Arnies, T-1000s and Sarah Connor. Getting hairstyles and headshapes right is not a strong area for Hot Toys.

Agreed. There are so many sculpts where it's clear they nailed the likeness and then added a sub standard hairstyle sculpt.
When i removed the hair from Marty, i could see more of a likeness than when it had the HT hair on it. So i know that if i can nail the hair, it will look better than it did before. I am only an amateur sculptor though. I hope i can get it done, lol.

I don't think they view it as being important. I think they look at one shot from one angle and just start sculpting. Then they just make it up as they go rather than finding different pics from different angles. Honestly I still wouldn't consider the Terminator sculpts perfect even if they did get the hair right or if I could do it myself as you are trying to do here, but it'd be a heck of a step in the right direction.

I don't think they view it as being important. I think they look at one shot from one angle and just start sculpting. Then they just make it up as they go rather than finding different pics from different angles. Honestly I still wouldn't consider the Terminator sculpts perfect even if they did get the hair right or if I could do it myself as you are trying to do here, but it'd be a heck of a step in the right direction.

They have been doing okay recently with Han, Luke, The Marty PT2 proto, in offering alternatives that swap out. It would be great if they made one or two alternative hairpieces for every figure. But of course, they won't.

There are no words, just wide opened jaws.

And drool..

Hehe. And that isn't even them all.

B3B91C37-AFCE-4E1A-81BC-138C4D50385C.jpg

All of those are going to be used in customs? :lol

Bloody hell... that's going to be a lot of figures... :thud:

Probably not, lol. But i'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and they are $100 apiece...

WOW. That's an amazing amount of sculpts :horror

Do you scoop them up from eBay? Or have you got the alarm code to the HT factory? :lol

WOW. That's an amazing amount of sculpts :horror

Do you scoop them up from eBay? Or have you got the alarm code to the HT factory? :lol

Toy Anxiety, Monkey Depot, Black Ops Toys and Ebay. Nowhere any cheaper than where you guys buy them. I worked it out that there's close to $10,000 worth of heads in that image. Which is a scary idea even to me.

Why so many? Are you planning on painting them all etc?

It's a fun image to look at. For some unknown reason, I get comfort from quantity. That's pushing my buttons :lol

:duff

Back