Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hope this mod podge works in the long run. im going to get ED 209. i missed out on the first ED209. dont want to pass this one up. hopefully everything will be fine with this problem.

i hope this mod podge works in the long run. im going to get ED 209. i missed out on the first ED209. dont want to pass this one up. hopefully everything will be fine with this problem.

Have you not read the past four hundred pages of this thread? Doesn't sound like anyone is escaping the rotting dome and cracking rubber joint covers. I was really looking forward to buying this guy but now I'm just going to hold off and wait to see if Hot Toys ever comes out with a second batch, or if retailers drastically cut its price to dump excess merchandise on their hands.

I want one CHEAP with these issues. Paying over $400 for something and then attempting a fix on a major faulty part is something I won't put up with.
However at $250 I'd let it rot or fix it for that price!:lol

(tick tock) waite how do you know mod padge doesnt work? and you can keep your sarcasm.

Last edited:
Waiting is understandable. Many like myself were first time adopters preordering on day one and now we're paying for it. I myself ordered from an outside retailer that will not accept returns so I am SOL. One could wait till prices drop even more. Ed-209s on HLJ and ebay are already selling for more than 100 off retail so it may yet reach 250.

Waiting is understandable. Many like myself were first time adopters preordering on day one and now we're paying for it. I myself ordered from an outside retailer that will not accept returns so I am SOL. One could wait till prices drop even more. Ed-209s on HLJ and ebay are already selling for more than 100 off retail so it may yet reach 250.

That sucks..you had no idea they would be bad domes!

I'm new to the hobby so no I didn't. Being a long time robocop fan, I had always dreamed of having an ED 209 toy. So when I saw the prototypes displayed at SDCC, my jaw dropped and I knew I had to have them. This experience has soured me a little but it's not the end of the hobby for me. I'll just take my time and be wiser with future purchases from Hot Toys.

Was aiming to get some mod podge for my alien dog but never got around it now i definitly gotta get some for ed too :)
Thanks for the tip :)

Rivera2171, same questions about Ed and do you have any pics of the legs rubbers?

Thanks guys :)

About four coats on the dome and a couple on the legs. photo 4 - Copy.JPGphoto 5 - Copy.JPG

I applied the matte mod podge after I cleaned the silicon grease off. I just used water and a tooth brush to clean the grease off. Happy to say that the mod podge adhered nicely.

Just like Rivera mentioned, it goes on like thinned glue. I spread it out with a medium brush. While wet, the dome looked a little more white in some spots despite my best efforts to spread the mod podge evenly. I was a little nervous but after 5 minutes the entire surface of the dome dried to a nice even matte finish. I'm happy with the results.

I eventually applied 2 coats on the accordion parts and 5 coats on the dome. I had to apply more coats to the dome to completely fill some cracks in the front. The cracks are finally gone now. I'll post pics when I get home from work.

I would like to see how the dome looks in matte.

Just got home. Here are some quick pics of the dome after matte mod podge.

Attachments

• IMG_4829.JPG
    IMG_4829.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_4830.JPG
    IMG_4830.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_4831.JPG
    IMG_4831.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4832.JPG
    IMG_4832.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 305
I'm afraid to anything to mine for a while. Just in case HT announce some kind of replacement dome. Highly doubtful, but doing anything to it first will no doubt void my claim. I honestly think they are all cracking, some faster than others. So there will be uproar surely in next couple of months as it gets worse and worse.

This is a problem which isn't going away for HT, it's like a ticking time bomb, especially since they have two Robos on the way.

I agree with you that all units are affected by this issue. It is only a matter of time. As for Hot Toys, I would hope that they man up to their mistake, but I doubt it. If they get no pressure to act, they wont. It appears to me that everybody just calmed the **** down about it after all of their SDCC and Anicom announcements. I hope I'm wrong and they make it right. We'll see.

I did the legs too. It went on well. I only put two coats on though. I'll put more on tonight since I can still see the cracks.

About four coats on the dome and a couple on the legs.View attachment 124892View attachment 124893

I would like to see how the dome looks in matte.

Thanks Rivera271 and hawaiidream :)
Looks pretty cool in mat, will try on ed when i get around it.
Orderded gloss for my aliens.

Well i hope that people Will manifest when in a few weeks or month their dome Will be damaged not that it Will disapear like with the original.

Last edited:
I really doubt that the mod podge is anything but a short term fix. Sure it seals the other layer somewhat, which will probably slow down the curing (air drying of the rubber) but on the inside it must be happening as well? It's not airtight by any means. It will just crack and break up underneath the thin transparent layer the mod podge provides. I mean there's no harm in trying, but I really can't see it solving the problem fully. It doesn't really make sense in chemistry/physics way. The chemicals in the rubber are changing due to air exposure/temperature. That's a chemical process that's happening not a physical thing. There is no way of stopping that reaction from happening.

Badly produced rubber is air curing and drying out, losing it's flexibly first then it will break up and crumble.

?

Mod lodge works on the Aliens, because their isn't really a rubber issue with them (that I have seen) the surface of the rubber just needs reglossing, because whatever varnish HT used did not age well. This is a completely different thing.

Back