Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...call it suprised more so then shocked.
Guys only put silicon grease on it to re-hydrate it, so to speak.
But glue for napkins...that´s a new one, but the result speaks for itself...
:lol

But that this stuff really works is astounding, if you ask me.
I would´ve thought that it just seals the dome and hardens it and not softens and nearly closes the cracks...

rivera, let me know how it works out. I'm willing to try anything. I used the silicone grease but if this stuff really works and there is no change for months, I may just go this route.

I can attest to the modpodge. I used it on all my HT alien figures and it restored the shininess of the rubber and protects them. All my aliens are still in excellent condition even the blue alien from ALIENS. The plastic joints are another issue though.

https://www.toyrewind.com/archives/991

I don't think modpodge will adhere after silicon grease has been applied. You can try I guess, will probably come off in a dome shaped sheet.

Yes, once the silicone grease has been applied, you won't get glue or paint or anything else to stick to it.

You could always wash it with a toothbrush and some dishwashing soap a few times. That should remove it. Maybe.

Possibly, silicone tends to soak in. Worst thing ever when it gets on raw timber for furniture restoration at work, just never lets a clear coat adhere to the timber.

yeah nothing sticks to silicone, except silicone.

I wouldn't put detergent near that rubber dome either, it will dry it out double time.

I am very happy with the results. I feel this fix will last as it no longer gives a chance for the cracks to spread. The consistency is like thinned white glue. Once you spread it on, it seeps into to the cracks and dries. It applies on white but dries clear, as long as you dont over do it. Also the dried finish is still somewhat pliable and not hard. But because the parts do not move anyway, this is an added bonus. The dome feels and looks like it did when it was new. Shiny and tacky. The only thing that I may have done different is used matte instead of gloss. The gloss looks good but I am debating whether or not it is too shiny. If I decide that it is, all I have to do is run a coat of black paint over it and it will be good. That is also the nice thing about Modpodge, it is an acrylic based medium. It cleans up with soap and water.

Ok, so this is what I did. I appiled several thin coats of Modge Podge to the dome. I also applied to the rubber leg boots. Modge Podge is a sealer. I am happy with the results. Looking at the pics, you can see it helped fill in the developing cracks. I dont know how effective this option would be on the more severe ED's. The overall finish is shiny like when the ED was new. I have noticed too that the dome has been getting more dull over time and the cracks are a direct result. Anyway, I just wanted to share my findings to the forum members who are planning on keeping this guy.
the dome looks perfect. congrats! will take that thing for the dome at least.
but you also covered leg rubber, and it's meant to bend. doesn't this layer make the surface firm?

This stuff does not dry rock hard. It still has some give. Plus the amount of movement on the leg rubbers is minimal as most of the movement is done at the joint. Like I said, I am very happy with the result. People who decide to try this will just have to experiment. Also remember to let it dry between coats. Too much at once will leave a white residue because it was applied too thick.

examined my Ed yesterday, had to pack him away for my big upcoming move, glad to say hes still in tact. Sadly, im not expecting the same when i unbox him in the new home..

5x10, did you just rub it on with your hand or use a brush or some other applicator?

Thanks

fingers, thats before i read the warning on the box saying to try to avoid touching
whoops!
went on easy, i rubbed it in pretty well, has a nice sheen to it now, after a week, you can still feel the grease on there

This stuff does not dry rock hard. It still has some give. Plus the amount of movement on the leg rubbers is minimal as most of the movement is done at the joint. Like I said, I am very happy with the result. People who decide to try this will just have to experiment. Also remember to let it dry between coats. Too much at once will leave a white residue because it was applied too thick.
thanks for the instructions and warning about layers.
actually leg rubber bend greatly if it's posed as in the movie.

Back