Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really doubt that the mod podge is anything but a short term fix. Sure it seals the other layer somewhat, which will probably slow down the curing (air drying of the rubber) but on the inside it must be happening as well? It's not airtight by any means. It will just crack and break up underneath the thin transparent layer the mod podge provides. I mean there's no harm in trying, but I really can't see it solving the problem fully. It doesn't really make sense in chemistry/physics way. The chemicals in the rubber are changing due to air exposure/temperature. That's a chemical process that's happening not a physical thing. There is no way of stopping that reaction from happening.

Badly produced rubber is air curing and drying out, losing it's flexibly first then it will break up and crumble.

?

Mod lodge works on the Aliens, because their isn't really a rubber issue with them (that I have seen) the surface of the rubber just needs reglossing, because whatever varnish HT used did not age well. This is a completely different thing.

Naysayers be damned.:lol

Regardless of whether this fix is short or long term, airtight or nonsensical in a "chemical" or "physical" way; it beats the **** out of just watching your brand new $400.00 ED crack away to **** and not doing a god damn thing about it.

The dome on my ed209 was perfect, but better safe than sorry - Used Shin-Etsu Grease. Applied with my finger.
The grease is white, so it's showing, unless you spread it really really really thin, which is not easy to do. I just applied it, then sort of scraped it off with my fingernail. It's a pain in the butt, but now the dome feels soft and flexible. We'll see how it holds up.

Just pulled one brand new ED out of the box (i have a figure shop). No damages. I applied Mod Podge matte and it worked like a charm. The dome does not loose the shinyness and it really feels safer than before. It is sealed now. I don't think it will rott in the future as it is sealed from air.
I offer my customers a free mod podge treatment now if they want to :)

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

:lol

Lol. Perfect.

Anyway, return processed, negative reward points on SSC, $400 in my pocket and I only spend $15 to ship it back trough UPS (SSC charged me $19?!)

Could've been way worse. Again, I'd encourage those able to return it to do so, and if not possible, man, I feel for ya because that sucks. I don't think there's anything worse than seeing a piece this beautiful rot to hell.

The Aerospace 303 instructions say you should wipe it off after it dries. Are people doing this step as well or just leaving the chemical on as is?

Rory, are you able to return your Ed 209 back to your retailer? You may be right that this is a temporary solution. If it is a chemical process no amount of sealant or grease will prevent the inevitable.

Believe me, if I could return this I would. I can't even sell it on Ebay because I'll be down at least 190 dollars after fees. Just doesn't seem worth it especially if someone comes up with a solution like a replacement for the dome and accordion parts later on down the road.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

:lol

It's got one negative review on amazon japan.....because of rubber deteriorating. So the word is out amongst Asian collectors...it's not just us!

The Aerospace 303 instructions say you should wipe it off after it dries. Are people doing this step as well or just leaving the chemical on as is?
Hmm, that seems like it would be really tough to do with ED's textured and somewhat sticky dome... Not sure how one could rub off the 303 without leaving a ton of lint. Just ordered a small bottle of the Mod Podge matte and will apply once it arrive. Just seems ridiculous what we're doing to try and save ED. Sadly, even if it just delays the inevitable, I still think it's worthwhile until a more permanent solution is found.

Saw this on Instagram.

image.jpg

Rory, are you able to return your Ed 209 back to your retailer? You may be right that this is a temporary solution. If it is a chemical process no amount of sealant or grease will prevent the inevitable.

Believe me, if I could return this I would. I can't even sell it on Ebay because I'll be down at least 190 dollars after fees. Just doesn't seem worth it especially if someone comes up with a solution like a replacement for the dome and accordion parts later on down the road.
No, I'm stuck with mine.

It's got one negative review on amazon japan.....because of rubber deteriorating. So the word is out amongst Asian collectors...it's not just us!

Yeah, what we are seeing here is just the too of the iceberg. We are a load of **** collectors searching for the problem. Once the deterioration hits a level where it can't be missed this thing will explode.

Dunno, I would imagine this is being taken seriously by HT, not through any customer loyalty or responsibility, but for the fact they have two more Robo figures coming out and they could loose a lot of $.

Man Ive been hearing about this piece all over the board... had to see for myself, I honestly dont know how HT's managed to screw that up, thats disastrous

Could they not have used a cloth material? that pattern isnt all that unique

Crappy Sideshow Toys. :mad:

Oh, wait... :thud:

Sorry, I don't understand, you quoted me out of context from another thread in a completely different part of the forum? (the Star Wars thread).
Why? And that's not really cool mate.

Why are you bringing Sideshow into this? I really don't understand.
You know I've got a rotting one of these too right? I'm no HT fanboy.

Weird.

*whistles* Wow, that's the worst, yet (referring to Yoshi's posted Instagram pic). I do agree with Rory that once the damage becomes obvious to mainstream buyers, HT will have a ****storm on their hands. Hopefully that will translate into them doing something meaningful. If they solicit exchanges, I'm confident that at that point, they will accept pretty much anything that comes back (i.e., they won't refuse due to ED having been 'modified'), so I'm not worried about Mod Podging the dome. Don't think that they will be checking things with a fine tooth comb but rather just doing batch exchanges with all their distributors. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and if they are able to get away with doing nothing.

Well that's what happened with DX 02, at first they refused ebay sales but the whole thing blew up to such a degree they took those back as well. I got mine replaced by them. It was a nightmare though. :lol

It's been over a week since I applied the grease
No cracking visible from the eye, I do have some crappy magnifying glass from work and wasn't able to see cracks with it

Even with the grease, I'm worried about the underside as it's not mounted flush against plastic, you can feel where the gaps are

Latest posts

Back