Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed out on the first one. Been saving my reward points for this. Got about $320 in points so i'm still gonna have to pay on top. Still even with shipping and customs should still work out cheaper than buying it in the UK

After watching the making of stop motion ED 209, now I'll probably cave. Same thing happened when I saw the video for the stop motion Endoskeleton. Like owning a piece of the film. They look to be the same size as the puppets.

That was fast. I think Pre Orders selling out quicker at BBTS now since everything on Sideshow has a NRD is the new norm. First the new Vader and IM3 armors, now this.

It's only a matter of time before all vendors start asking for an NRD. When it does then it will be pointless to pre-order anything since your're basically being held hostage for a year or more before the item arrives and they have no business taking money upfront without the option to cancel if you are not satisfied with the final product before it ships. This hobby is going to sink itself fast.

It's only a matter of time before all vendors start asking for an NRD. When it does then it will be pointless to pre-order anything since your're basically being held hostage for a year or more before the item arrives and they have no business taking money upfront without the option to cancel if you are not satisfied with the final product before it ships. This hobby is going to sink itself fast.

I'm in agreement. Its a double edged-sword. On one hand I see why Sideshow and other retailers do it now, as it helps prevent over ordering, but on the other hand as a customer I don't like having to pay 10% of a figure that's not going to be released for at least a year.

I think we'll stop seeing in-stock availability of a lot of future Hot Toys releases and it'll shift back to the pre-sold out routine, where if you don't get on board months before it comes out, expect to pay an after-market premium when its released. Personally, I will be cutting back on purchases. Some figures I know I'll want no matter what, like Robo and Ed here, but other times I took a 'wait and see' approach, where I'd wait for the first in hand pics and reviews, and then decide to buy it. I don't think I'll be doing much of the latter anymore, if everything will be marked up immediately after its released.

After watching the making of stop motion ED 209, now I'll probably cave. Same thing happened when I saw the video for the stop motion Endoskeleton. Like owning a piece of the film. They look to be the same size as the puppets.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Stuff like this, Iron Monger or Tamashii 3PO are on the next level of 1:6, I think. Love it and I'll definitely be picking it up.

I dunno, is $40.00 or $50.00 for a year that big a deal (interest on $50.00 over course of year is about 0 cents)? I think the stores deserve a little hedge from fickle collectors. Read any HT thread and it's full of people having to drop stuff at the last minute so they can pick something else up or due to financial troubles, etc.

I dunno, is $40.00 or $50.00 for a year that big a deal (interest on $50.00 over course of year is about 0 cents)? I think the stores deserve a little hedge from fickle collectors. Read any HT thread and it's full of people having to drop stuff at the last minute so they can pick something else up or due to financial troubles, etc.

That's why we are seeing stuff still in stock and taking longer to sell out. Escalating prices up over 200% from the previous year, NRD's, and product delays are all contributing to the decline of lucrative sales. It's time for the pendulum to swing back the other way.

Can't disagree with that. Although I love the increased detail and think the prices are justified to a point, I do get the feeling that HT and others are now scratching around for gimmicks to try and push the prices up more in future. The prices as they are are pretty much my limit.

There always seemed to be this 'lease' mentality to a certain segment of collectors on these boards, even before the costs shot up. People who would buy everything released, only to turn around and sell it to get the next figure to come out.

I'm not sure what to think of the die-cast gimmick yet, Robocop will be my first, so I'll reserve judgement until then. As for the sound, it definitely is the logical next step after the lights. I don't need it, but I don't mind it. On one hand its easy to say that its useless and needlessly raised the price of R&D and production costs, but on the other hand, its trying new innovations like this that keep the hobby interesting.

I missed both RC and ED in their previous versions, and now I'm glad I did!
This is awesome, for a number of reasons:
Phil Tippett's stop-motion was a great tip-of-the-hat to the master Ray Harryhausen, who we just lost recently. Robocop represented the impending end of an era, the golden age of stop-motion animation. The film will remain an eternal classic of course; I was 23 when it came out.
I also just happen to live only a couple miles away from Tippett Studios in Berkeley, so I might have to drop by there and get this baby signed by Phil if I can.
The figure rocks, the price does NOT rock... As for the sound, I like the idea very much for ED, but for Robocop it will be hokey, since his lips are visible and won't be mouthing the words.
I think they made the right choice to do diecast for RC and not for ED. They both look great.
Like everyone else, I hope the dome is... you know. But, if by some insanity they do make the dome rubber again, I'll just make a mold from it and cast a new one in black resin, and share it with other collectors.

Last edited:
I didn't know HT already released Robocop and ED-209 in the past.

...am I the only one who thinks they (the old versions) look awful? They don't even look like HT products to me.

I missed both RC and ED in their previous versions, and now I'm glad I did!
This is awesome, for a number of reasons:
Phil Tippett's stop-motion was a great tip-of-the-hat to the master Ray Harryhausen, who we just lost recently. Robocop represented the impending end of an era, the golden age of stop-motion animation. The film will remain an eternal classic of course; I was 23 when it came out.
I also just happen to live only a couple miles away from Tippett Studios in Berkeley, so I might have to drop by there and get this baby signed by Phil if I can.
The figure rocks, the price does NOT rock... As for the sound, I like the idea very much for ED, but for Robocop it will be hokey, since his lips are visible and won't be mouthing the words.
I think they made the right choice to do diecast for RC and not for ED. They both look great.
Like everyone else, I hope the dome is... you know. But, if by some insanity they do make the dome rubber again, I'll just make a mold from it and cast a new one in black resin, and share it with other collectors.
That just took away any lingering doubts I had about that. Really cool of you to do that, Anthrapoid. Also agree about the sound effects for these. Makes more sense to me for ED than Robo, though I don't hate the feature, either way. Don't think it really adds much cost to the figure, given how cheaply lights and sounds are incorporated into inexpensive toys, but the feature just doesn't do much for me and reminds me of kid's toys. Anyway, in context to how good these figures look, it's a small nitpick.

Last edited:
I got a resin replacement dome from a boardie here several years ago. Forgot who it was but it was perfect. Restored my old ED good as new. Hopefully it will help the resale value.

Back