Hot Toys – MMS178 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Black Widow Limited Edition Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should pick a different one, that thought didn't really pan out with the first one, and this one is far better looking!

I know discussion veered off from this, but concerning the hair:

for those that are still having a strong aversion to the rooted hair & would prefer sculpted -- I started work on a 6" movie Widow since Hasbro made every ****ing team member except her & the Marvel Select Black Widow (Yelena) (or even the Yelena Marvel Legends) hair works pretty damn well for the hairstyle she had in the movie.

A lengthy solution for getting sculpted hair on the Hot Toys version would be to scale up the Yelena hair from 6" to 12" proportions. It would involv molding, casting/sizing up (there is a product that does this, can't remember what its called), then molding & casting the resized hair -- paint it auburn/red then attach it to the 12" Widow head -- voila. I know some customizers that do casts do sizing (up or down) as well.

Just a thought

for those that are still having a strong aversion to the rooted hair & would prefer sculpted -- I started work on a 6" movie Widow since Hasbro made every ****ing team member except her & the Marvel Select Black Widow (Yelena) (or even the Yelena Marvel Legends) hair works pretty damn well for the hairstyle she had in the movie.

A lengthy solution for getting sculpted hair on the Hot Toys version would be to scale up the Yelena hair from 6" to 12" proportions. It would involv molding, casting/sizing up (there is a product that does this, can't remember what its called), then molding & casting the resized hair -- paint it auburn/red then attach it to the 12" Widow head -- voila. I know some customizers that do casts do sizing (up or down) as well.

Just a thought

whoa that sounds like a lot of work. But potential to be awesome as well.

Just a thought

Fantastic, please pm when the prototypes are ready and let me know price + shipping. Thanks!!!:wave

unfortunately I've never molded/casted anything in my life so I don't know much about other than what I read on message boards. However, there are guys that sell casts & will do custom casts for you.

this guy:

https://sites.google.com/site/ckastings/home

has head casts that have been shrunk down from their original scale to 6" scale -- you could always try asking him if he'd be able to do something similar to scale up a BW 6" hair piece to 12" proportions. If I end up really hating the rooted hair I plan on contacting him to see if he's able to do it

It will be pretty tough to do right. I've done a lot of sculpting in the past and i think the best way to do it right is to take a BW head and shave off the hair then experiment that way. Of course anyone wanting a vinyl hairpiece to replace the hair will have to shave their BW head anyway.
It will be easy to sculpt but hard to get the colouring right. And you will never be able to please everybody.
I was thinking of commissioning a friend of mine to make a CG mesh of BW with the hair as one piece with the face and getting the mesh printed out.
That might be the best way.

unfortunately I've never molded/casted anything in my life so I don't know much about other than what I read on message boards. However, there are guys that sell casts & will do custom casts for you.

this guy:

https://sites.google.com/site/ckastings/home

has head casts that have been shrunk down from their original scale to 6" scale -- you could always try asking him if he'd be able to do something similar to scale up a BW 6" hair piece to 12" proportions. If I end up really hating the rooted hair I plan on contacting him to see if he's able to do it

I'd contact him, because casting is REALLY NOT THAT EASY. Its not easy at all, and getting a good, non-airbubble-prone finished result is even more difficult. Air bubbles will ruin a casting faster than anything. To mostly eliminate them you need to rotocast, and a rotocaster is NOT a cheap piece of equipment. Not a beginner's concept.

People are going to tell you "eh its nothing" but its nothing to them because they know what they are doing. Be warned.

You don't need to shave her, the hair is attached to a wig that is glued to the head. You can just pull it off.

Aha. Forgive my nooberosity then, lol.
That will make it a LOT easier.
I expect there will be a LOT of Scarlet Johansson customs(Of all her [revious movie characters) being done when this figure is on release.

I'd contact him, because casting is REALLY NOT THAT EASY. Its not easy at all, and getting a good, non-airbubble-prone finished result is even more difficult. Air bubbles will ruin a casting faster than anything. To mostly eliminate them you need to rotocast, and a rotocaster is NOT a cheap piece of equipment. Not a beginner's concept.

It's not a rotocaster you need to eliminate bubbles. A rotocasting machine just turns the mould over and over so you get a hollow final casting using a fraction of the resin. It's more useful for larger items that would take many pints of resin to fill the mould, but would weigh over five kilos when poured. I have a 1/18 scale V-Fighter from the original series that is rotocast. It's a beautiful piece, but weighs hardly anything.
What you need to get a bubble free result is a pressure pot. You pour the resin(Or vinyl, or whatever you are using to cast) into the mould and then put the mould in the pressure pot and suck all the air out.
That's how you get rid of the bubbles.
Not trying to sound like a smartass.

Me likes!

166044_387467544648575_1357069694_n.jpg

However the butt looks nothing like Scar Jo's. Needs more junk!!

Back